amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
I've owned my 2018 Civic Si Since June (8 months), and I notice that temperature does affect performance. I have found that if the temperature is 50 F and above, my car performs much better, everything from acceleration to better gas mileage. For example, yesterday was a nice 55 degrees F, and everything was so much smoother, from shifting to basic acceleration. Also I was averaging 31 mpg doing some spirited driving. This morning the temp was 38F (cold for the Bay Area), and even after everything was warmed up, I felt as though I had to push down harder on the pedal. Accelerating seems a bit more restrained, shifting not as smooth, and average gas mileage this morning dropped to 26 mpg. Also I feel boost takes a bit longer and is much less.

What I feel is that this car drives much better between 50 degrees and 90 degrees F. I don't know if it's the ECU maybe tuning things down or possibly the transmission doesn't work as well in the cold. I don't have this issue at all with my two Toyotas, they drive the same cold or hot weather. Does anyone else feel the same, that your Si drives better in warmer weather? I would like to know if I'm the only one who notices this.....

EDIT

I want to make it clear, it does not drive bad in colder temps, performance just seems a bit down compared to driving in warmer temps
Sponsored

Last edited:

Davsonamission

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wait what? Really? It is a turbo car the colder the better or am I getting that completely wrong? My car is noticeably faster in colder weather... I think :D

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Wait what? Really? It is a turbo car the colder it runs the better or am I getting that completely wrong?
That's what I hear, colder air is better for turbos

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Colder air is denser and generally better for performance. In very warm weather, where IAT's get too high, power will suffer. Moderately cool temps in the 45-65 range seem to be the sweet spot.

In really cold weather, it takes longer for the car to warm up and MPG's will suffer.

b4gel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si sedan
Country flag
Once the engine is up to temp, followed by the transmission not long afterward...there should be no difference. Your car's thermostat is set somewhere around 200 degrees. Once it's up to temperature, it's unphased by the ambient temp unless it's truly extreme conditions.

Additionally, colder air is denser. Once your car is up to temp it should be performing better, not worse, in the cold thanks to the lower intake temperatures.

Fuel economy does take a hit in the winter though for a lot of people...longer warm up periods, under-inflated tires, winter grade gasoline, denser air causing higher drag, etc.

If you truly think the car is performing worse in the winter, you may want to take it to the dealership because that does not sound normal.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Once the engine is up to temp, followed by the transmission not long afterward...there should be no difference. Your car's thermostat is set somewhere around 200 degrees. Once it's up to temperature, it's unphased by the ambient temp unless it's truly extreme conditions.

Additionally, colder air is denser. Once your car is up to temp it should be performing better, not worse, in the cold thanks to the lower intake temperatures.

Fuel economy does take a hit in the winter though for a lot of people...longer warm up periods, under-inflated tires, winter grade gasoline, denser air causing higher drag, etc.

If you truly think the car is performing worse in the winter, you may want to take it to the dealership because that does not sound normal.
As I mentioned, it's not performing poorly, it just seems like I have to go a bit harder on the pedal when it's colder (weatherwise). I'm thinking it's more the transmission taking longer to warm up....

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
Colder Air is more dense, oxygen rich.
Barometric Pressure
Humidity

The one with the biggest effect is temperature. The colder the more power it makes.

Ideal conditions for maximum power.
High Barometric Pressure
Low Humidity
Cold Temps
Sea Level Altitude

Also there are lots of apps that gives you the density altitude of your area. It tells you a relative altitude of your surroundings.
Right now in my location the density altitude is 1600ft but my real altitude is 120ft (central florida).
My car is performing like is on a hill @1600ft and you know that the higher the altitude the worse is the performance of an engine specially on naturally aspirated ones.
When is really cold around low 40s I can see a density altitude of negative 2000ft and the car is pretty happy out there.

Also Dynos when they correct the reading they take into account the weather of the day of the run.
300whp on a very hot day aren't the same 300whp on a very cold day.

ablueSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
I am convinced that weather affects the performance on our Si's but I will leave the science to others who know better than I.

From the seat-of-the-pants, I do sometimes notice that half the time I'll floor it and think "hmmm that was alright" versus other times where I'll think "holy that was quicker than I expected."

Not sure if others have had the same experience but I think it is totally a turbo-eco four thing to cut timing now and then.

SiGeddy

First Name
Geddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
I am convinced that weather affects the performance on our Si's but I will leave the science to others who know better than I.

From the seat-of-the-pants, I do sometimes notice that half the time I'll floor it and think "hmmm that was alright" versus other times where I'll think "holy that was quicker than I expected."

Not sure if others have had the same experience but I think it is totally a turbo-eco four thing to cut timing now and then.
That happens to me. I'll mash the pedal sometimes and go no where. And other times I'll do the same exact thing and get sucked back in my seat.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
That happens to me. I'll mash the pedal sometimes and go no where. And other times I'll do the same exact thing and get sucked back in my seat.
No question. In my experience, the turbo seems to prefer milder, low humidity weather like what you'd see in Spring or Fall. Hot, humid summer temps sometimes has the car falling flat on it's face.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

See, there you go, that's what I'm talking about! This morning when it was about 38 to 40 degrees F, performance seemed a bit off, I had to go harder on the pedal. I just got back from picking up my son from school, it's about 58 degrees F and I barely had to step on the pedal, performance was much better, shifting as well. I'm not the only one who notices this!

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No question. In my experience, the turbo seems to prefer milder, low humidity weather like what you'd see in Spring or Fall. Hot, humid summer temps sometimes has the car falling flat on it's face.
I actually had no issues in the summer when temps reached over 90 degrees F. The only time I ever felt heat soak was after an 8 hour drive in over 115 degrees F going from Northern California to Los Angeles, I was averaging around 80mph most of the trip. I felt the heat soak as soon as I hit LA traffic, it was in the upper 90's in LA, humidity was relatively high

ablueSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
I won't lie, after owning 3 N/A cars in a row (and sadly one hybrid) the unpredictability of the engine considering both temperature and turbo lag is legitamitely exciting to me.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I won't lie, after owning 3 N/A cars in a row (and sadly one hybrid) the unpredictability of the engine considering both temperature and turbo lag is legitamitely exciting to me.
If you really want to know what makes this car great, drive it between Northern Cal and Southern Cal. When you hit the steep inclines on hwy 152 and the Grapevine area, you will be amazed at how this tiny little engine handles those steep hills...in 6th gear! I have only had to use 4th and 5th gears to pass slower traffic

ablueSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
If you really want to know what makes this car great, drive it between Northern Cal and Southern Cal. When you hit the steep inclines on hwy 152 and the Grapevine area, you will be amazed at how this tiny little engine handles those steep hills...in 6th gear! I have only had to use 4th and 5th gears to pass
Oh I have, twice now :) I was indeed amazed! The car felt incredible.
Sponsored