Does tire wear/different tires change steering feel?

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
No, not at all. There may be like a 0.03 mph difference. The overall diamater of the wheel and tire is literally the exact same as stock. The width and overall diameter of the tire is the same....nothing feels different in that sense...except you feel faster acceleration and way better braking. Oh, and not the mention a way stiffer ride when you use the same tire pressure as OEM. Remember, summer tires are softer than ultra high performance all seasons. So, you get a more planted (stiffer) ride with the Continental DWS 06 Plus tires.

Still till this day, I wouldn't use any other tire. It's such a beefy ride and you can feel the meat on the road.
+1 on Continental DWS

Best tires I've ever used.
Sponsored

SouthSideBeef

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GR86
Country flag
I went from 235/40 Indy 500s to 245/40 General GMax RS and the handling feels so much worse now. The Generals have great grip and they are far more comfortable than the Indy 500s but increasing the width of the tire combined with the change of tire changed how the car feels substantially.

I am considering getting another set of Indys and relegating the Generals to the track but I've still never been to the track so I gotta get on that. Does anyone have any suggestions for summer tires that have good road feel? Should I just look for tires with stiffer sidewalls?

Just saw some recommendations from 20ls01.
Ive never used anything in the cup2 category but the falken rt660 hankook rs4 are very good responsive tires in my experience.

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
I went from 235/40 Indy 500s to 245/40 General GMax RS and the handling feels so much worse now. The Generals have great grip and they are far more comfortable than the Indy 500s but increasing the width of the tire combined with the change of tire changed how the car feels substantially.

I am considering getting another set of Indys and relegating the Generals to the track but I've still never been to the track so I gotta get on that. Does anyone have any suggestions for summer tires that have good road feel? Should I just look for tires with stiffer sidewalls?

Just saw some recommendations from 20ls01.
I don't believe tires have sidewall stiffness measurements, at least they didn't when I worked at Discount.

Usually the higher the speed rating correlates to stiffer tires. But this isn't necessarily true across the board.

Research the composition and see what materials are the stiffer. Who knows what manufacturers are making tires out of these days.

Typically, the heavier the tire means the stiffer it is. However, it's a trade off, as the heavier tires take more torque to move and affects handling as the tires are unsprung weight.

Unsprung rotating mass is roughly three times harder to accelerate than sprung weight.

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
After weeks of trying to convince myself that I couldn't possibly be getting torque steer on +45 wheels, I've finally admitted it to myself. On the OEM Contis, I could do a WOT pull in 3rd on my custom tune and track straight as an arrow. With my +45 wheels wrapped in Cup 2's, the car will randomly jerk left and right at WOT. My alignment appears to be in order as well, so it's not that.

I accept that other, more experienced drivers find them faster on the track, but 18's scare the heck out of me. As a beginner, the softer, squishy turn in and the added torque steer have robbed me of my confidence.

Deleted member 47337

Thanks a ton for sharing your research and knowledge. I'm highly considering cloning your setup when the time comes to replace the stock tires (which I'm hearing can be pretty damn soon after purchasing lol).
No problem, anytime!

Yeah, just think of it like this....the second you get slightly bored of the Type R (which I don't think is possible), but if you do, you can swap the wheels and tires with this particular setup we are talking about and you'll get a nice noticable boost in performance. - all without touching the drivetrain or the tune.

Plus, you'll feel super confident driving in cold weather. You're in LA so hitting up Angeles Crest or going up to Idyllwild/Lake Hemet in the winter would be a blast. Our cars come to life at ambient temps below 60F. Once you're in the 40F - 60F outdoor temp range, your turbo starts making some serious power. ;)

Enjoy the car and drive safe!
Sponsored