Does the TSP Stage 1 tune improve throttle response?

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road 6MT
Country flag
I know modern small 4 cylinder turbo cars have a bit of lag or slack in their throttle response and I'm curious if one of the parameters in the TSP Stage 1 tune improve the pedal response. I've found rev matching a downshift a bit tricky in this car with that throttle lag; don't get me started on the difficulty of heel-toe downshifting with the laggy throttle and the terrible pedal spacing.
Sponsored

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Yes, there is an throttle responsiveness option.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
This is also an option with ktuner base tunes.

DRTHVDR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CivicX Hatch
Country flag
I'm about to install my acuity pedal spacer tomorrow. From what ive seen amd heard ot solves the downshift issue rather well

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, there is an throttle responsiveness option.
Actually not. That user setting is available on the base KTuner tunes but not on the locked TSP Stage 1.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Actually not. That user setting is available on the base KTuner tunes but not on the locked TSP Stage 1.
ugh, really? so annoying that some of those settings aren't available on the TSP maps. thanks for the correction!

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
ugh, really? so annoying that some of those settings aren't available on the TSP maps. thanks for the correction!
That's my only beef with the TSP tune. I really think allowing the user some adjustment on part throttle responsiveness would be a real plus.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
That's my only beef with the TSP tune. I really think allowing the user some adjustment on part throttle response would be a real plus.
agreed. guess it would require ktuner adding functionality into the software to make more values not be locked.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
agreed. guess it would require ktuner adding functionality into the software to make more values not be locked.
I think it's more the fact that Derek doesn't want users messing with his tune. On the one hand, I get it. It's a nicely balanced tune. But I do think it would be even better with a touch more response down low.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
I think it's more the fact that Derek doesn't want users messing with his tune. On the one hand, I get it. It's a nicely balanced tune. But I do think it would be even better with a touch more response down low.
Ah, I just assumed that if anyone locked a tune, it was always the same settings that were locked down. I'm interested in the TSP tune at some point, but would like to have control over some of these things, especially the rev-hang settings.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Bingo. For the most part you can't pick and choose what is locked.
Ah, I just assumed that if anyone locked a tune, it was always the same settings that were locked down. I'm interested in the TSP tune at some point, but would like to have control over some of these things, especially the rev-hang settings.
The disables menu is never locked, so you have control of the rev hang disable.

OP
OP
cammyfive

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road 6MT
Country flag
So the TSP map 2 & 3 settings claim they increase "turbocharger response". I assume that has more to do with when they spool up vs throttle response.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The tune does incorporate numerous built in changes to turbo and throttle response. It's just that users can't tweak those settings. Trust me though, overall the TSP 1 is a more refined, smoother tune than anything a user could come up with playing with the base KTuner quick adjustments.

In terms of lag, it certainly is less noticeable than what you get stock by a long shot.

Last edited:

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
A simple answer to your question is yes! The TSP tune improves throttle response over the factory tune. There is actually a fairly substantial improvement. No, it is not adjustable but not far off KTuner basemaps with all settings maxed out (other than the low rpm range, which isn't a bad thing for the clutch).
Sponsored