Does the Si have "Rev Hang"?

PaulME

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si coupe, 2017 CRV, 2002 Mercedes E320 wagon, 2001 E320 Wagon, 2002 E320 sedan, 1986 944T, 1972 land Rover
Country flag
Yes - search is your friend....

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
Oh gosh yes. Not as bad as my Mazda 6 but, wait yes it is. Looking forward to a lighter flywheel.

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
yes, and like the previous gen it is horrible.

JNRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I just traded in my Si for a car that does not have rev hang and YES, the Si has horrible Rev hang when you shift in the upper rpm range. However, you can get use to it if you adjust your technique a bit. It will still be annoying during spirited driving. If you just like to relax and cruise, then it won't really be an issue. Test drive one and see for yourself, but don't make the mistake of overlooking it because it's a shiny new car.

Kenshin737

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
I have had best luck using google to search civicx. "site: civicx.com <Search Term>"
Pretty sure it's not really "rev hang", it's rev matching for shifting. I had a WRX and it didn't have "rev hang" or rev matching - you had to be quick on the shift to do that. The fact that the revs stay higher when shifting means a smoother transition between gears, which I find to be a good thing.

Of course, you can always enjoy a good heel-and-toe shift when shifting down, but that's only really reserved for racing. And none of us go racing, now, do we. ;-)

JNRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Pretty sure it's not really "rev hang", it's rev matching for shifting. I had a WRX and it didn't have "rev hang" or rev matching - you had to be quick on the shift to do that. The fact that the revs stay higher when shifting means a smoother transition between gears, which I find to be a good thing.

Of course, you can always enjoy a good heel-and-toe shift when shifting down, but that's only really reserved for racing. And none of us go racing, now, do we. ;-)
It is not rev matching for shifting. I've had vehicles that had rev matching for shifting and what they do is hold the engine at the correct rpm for the next shift, while you have the clutch pedal depressed. This allows you to take your time and still get a smooth upshift.

minitech

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI 4 door
Country flag
A Hondata protuner can remove it, but overall it still seems to not drop RPM very fast like a NA car (better then stock but still not perfect) some of this is just how the system works i think.

PaulME

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si coupe, 2017 CRV, 2002 Mercedes E320 wagon, 2001 E320 Wagon, 2002 E320 sedan, 1986 944T, 1972 land Rover
Country flag

Buzz no it’s not rev matching!! Reev matching means blip the throttle so engine revs faster than current rev for DOWNSHIFTING and would slow engine(cut gas etc) for an upshift. The Honda electronic throttle holds the revs at say 4 or 5k rpm for an inordinate amount of time when you want to shift into the next higher hear - rev hang!

And yes you can adapt to it (although I may look to remove it at some point, but was not planning on playing tuner with a daily driver economy car).

Paul

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
It's not rev-matching. It's rev hang for sure, and awful/annoying.

JNRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag

Could be worse lol.

ablueSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
Yes. I thought I would despise it - I don't mind it much now, I've grown used to it.

Ideally it would not exist but it is not the worst thing in the world.

Nozomi135

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si (Modern Silver Metallic)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Definitely does have rev hang, I've gotten used to it however have used KTuner to reduce it, you can also switch from the stock dual mass flywheel to a single mass to give a further reduction!
Sponsored