Does the leather steering wheel in the EX-L/Touring squeak like the one on lower trims?

proanimus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe EX-T
Hey everyone, apologies if this isn't the right area to post this.

The steering wheel on my EX-T is really squeaky/creaky around where the plastic controls touch the plastic grip, much more than any other car I've driven in the past. Is the leather version any better in this regard?

If it is, I might entertain the idea of swapping them out in the future. It's so weird that the cheapest-feeling interior component just happens to be the one thing you interact with the most.

edit: Here's a video of what I'm talking about. I'm manipulating it to make the sound on purpose, but it also does it during normal operation.

Sponsored

Last edited:

tsupersonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback EX-L, '17 Forester XT
Country flag
I have a hatch EX-L, and my steering wheel doesn't squeak. I'm very impressed with this wheel after having been in vehicles like BMW's/Mercedes AMG

Gazelle_392

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mercedes S63 Cabriolet
My touring have some very significiant squeak,later I will post a pic here. I don't really care about it since I will replace my steering wheel with the CRV one anyway (to get heated steering wheel)

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hm no squeak here. Can you post a video of it?

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
My touring have some very significiant squeak,later I will post a pic here. I don't really care about it since I will replace my steering wheel with the CRV one anyway (to get heated steering wheel)
Is the wiring even compatible with the heated wheel function? You don't want to be dropping coin on the parts only to find out that our fuse/relay boxes don't even support the heated function to begin with.

Gazelle_392

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mercedes S63 Cabriolet
Is the wiring even compatible with the heated wheel function? You don't want to be dropping coin on the parts only to find out that our fuse/relay boxes don't even support the heated function to begin with.
Parts are basically the same the only difference is the clock spring. I will never be worried about wiring and stuff since my car will be in pieces in next few months..

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
LOL after seeing this video I don't think whether the steering wheel is leather or polyurethane is relevant. I think you just have a shitty wheel.

OP
OP
proanimus

proanimus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe EX-T
Thanks guys, I guess I'll see if I can get the dealership to look at it. Granted, it's not nearly as loud in-person as it seems in that video, but it still shouldn't be like that. The steering wheel in my old 1994 Nissan Sentra didn't feel that cheap.
Sponsored