iqbad

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R 2018, Audi TT-RS 2010 400hp, Audi A6 3.0 TFSI 400hp
Country flag
I have tried to search but did not find any good answers. Has anyone taken an fk8 engine apart? Do they have forged rods like the f20 had?
Sponsored

OP
OP
iqbad

iqbad

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks! That means it should handle pretty high torque levels without any issues.

Ps. I did google it but maybe I should have tried a few more combinations before I gave up.

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
The interwebz rumor mill says that the rotating assembly isn't as strong as you'd think.

I've heard a few people have bent rods on these already around the 400 tq mark.

You should be able to mitigate this a bit by keeping your torque demand low in the lower rpms.

At least that's my understanding.

OP
OP
iqbad

iqbad

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Do we have any confirmed cases with bent rods where we actually know the root cause? It could maybe be poor tuning also? (Like piggyback systems)

I mean, early internet rumor was that Bmw n54 was weak and could not handle tuning, now most people agree that they can take 700hp without opening the motor.

Cteg6

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8 type r
Country flag
4pistonracing bent a rod at around 400whp. Since then they have came up with a outstanding engine program that will meet all needs. They use motec ecu

Tim818

King Of The ā€˜Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
4pistonracing bent a rod at around 400whp. Since then they have came up with a outstanding engine program that will meet all needs. They use motec ecu
Was that with a stock engine or the ones that they build for the FK8s?

Tim818

King Of The ā€˜Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
I definitely canā€™t wait to send my engine off to 4pistonracing once I pay my car off lol..

CRX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Civic
Country flag
The stock rods could be had for $25 when the car first came out. That should probably tell you about the quality of them.

Deleted member 47337

400tq=bent rods
I know guys driving around with 450 wtq, and over 500+ whp. No bent rods. They're secret is to never go WOT when below 3k RPM.

Personally, I wouldn't even mess with the engine tune. That's too much power for my taste...especially in this Type R. I'd go super lightweight wheels AND tires, and remove a ton of weight from the car so the car is in the 2900 lb range. That seems safer.

However, I know guys that have had bone stock Type Rs bend their rods with less than 5k miles just with poor driving habits.

Bent rods are caused be excessive torque at very low RPM...only way that happens is either WOT (wide open throttle) at low RPMs or very close to it. If you're roaming around 1300 - 1900 RPM and always have a heavy foot in that range because you don't want to downshift, you can expect something to wrong with your rods eventually.
Sponsored