Does the engine sound... coarse around 3K-5K RPM?

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For some reason, it feels like my engine has this roughness to it, almost like a coarse sound when I cruise and hold the revs in the 3K-5K RPM range. I need to get a video of it, but basically, if go to 50 MPH in 4th gear and then let off the gas, as it decelerates there's a very rough sounding noise the engine makes in the exhaust note that I honestly can't describe. It's like a grating sound applied to the exhaust as the car slows down. I know the K20C1 doesn't particularly sound good in most cases, but this is more noticeable to me.

The way it sounds doesn't particularly sound normal to me, but I wouldn't say it's indicative of a problem just from the way it sounds. Still, does anyone else feel this way? Is it just a characteristic of the engine? Since it's more race oriented is it just less smooth as a result?

Easy way to reproduce for me is to accelerate to about 50 mph, then let off the gas. As it slows down towards 3K RPM the noise is there, and if you punch it again it'll hang around before going away as the revs increase.

The only reason I noticed it was because I was driving around today on mostly highways with the window open and the radio on low volume.
Sponsored

Rottboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 BB CType R; ''17 Alfa Romeo 4C Coupe; 15 Honda Fit LX Manual; '14 MB G550;
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Your still under warranty. Bring it to a Honda dealer.
It could as simple as a leaking exhaust gasket. The forum can assist with troubleshooting but will all be guesses.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Your stilll under warranty. Bring it to a Honda dealer.
It could as simple as a leaking exhaust gasket. The forum can assist with troubleshooting but will all be guesses.
I'll bring it up to them when I take it in again, which should theoretically be soonish...

tflowers94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

tflowers94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
No, haven’t got around to getting it into the dealer yet but I plan on doing so soonish hopefully. From what @kefi posted though in that thread it may be a regular noise?
Could possibly be just a normal noise I suppose. Just seems odd that it happens at the same rpms in every gear but I guess that could be just how the engine works. Are you hearing the same sound from the video I uploaded? I hear it clearly from the front end when I have the windows up and music off.

OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Could possibly be just a normal noise I suppose. Just seems odd that it happens at the same rpms in every gear but I guess that could be just how the engine works. Are you hearing the same sound from the video I uploaded? I hear it clearly from the front end when I have the windows up and music off.
Yup, sounds similar to what I hear. I hear it with the radio turned down easily and I almost tune into the sound.

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
Country flag
The CTR does not have balance shafts as does it’s counterpart in the 2.0T accord. So increased noise and vibration can be present so they didn’t sacrifice performance.

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
The CTR does not have balance shafts as does it’s counterpart in the 2.0T accord. So increased noise and vibration can be present so they didn’t sacrifice performance.
Oh god yes, a real technical reason. Thanks for posting.
Sponsored