Does the clutch slipping impact street/e tune?

redcivic19x

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
My clutch is on the verge of slipping and I need to upgrade it eventually. Right now I’m FBO, W1 turbo, and flex fuel kit with the KTuner basemap for the W1 race maf with flex tables enabled.
I know I need to get a custom tune to ensure the car is safe with all my mods, but will a clutch slipping impact the street tune? I.e if my clutch does start slipping, should I change that and then get a tune? Or does it not impact the tune at all if the clutch slips?
Sponsored

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
My clutch is on the verge of slipping and I need to upgrade it eventually. Right now I’m FBO, W1 turbo, and flex fuel kit with the KTuner basemap for the W1 race maf with flex tables enabled.
I know I need to get a custom tune to ensure the car is safe with all my mods, but will a clutch slipping impact the street tune? I.e if my clutch does start slipping, should I change that and then get a tune? Or does it not impact the tune at all if the clutch slips?
Definitely need you clutch to hold for a tune.

OP
OP
redcivic19x

redcivic19x

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Definitely need you clutch to hold for a tune.
Yea that’s what I was thinking. I just didn’t know if street tuning would impact the process if the clutch slips. I could only assume so if you look at the data logs and see the RPMs jump up but no gain in speed.
Replace the clutch and then tune. I have the same bolt ons.
Did you do the e-tune with drob? Or did you go street tune with someone more local?

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Yea that’s what I was thinking. I just didn’t know if street tuning would impact the process if the clutch slips. I could only assume so if you look at the data logs and see the RPMs jump up but no gain in speed.

Did you do the e-tune with drob? Or did you go street tune with someone more local?
If the clutch starts slipping, there's suddenly a lower load on the engine, which would make tuning a nightmare, if even possible.

airickmatthews

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hatch sport
Country flag

Etune with drob

OP
OP
redcivic19x

redcivic19x

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If the clutch starts slipping, there's suddenly a lower load on the engine, which would make tuning a nightmare, if even possible.
Gotcha - thank you for confirming what I was already thinking. I’d hate to put any tuner through that.
guess I’ll just take it easy from the OTS tune until I can save up for a clutch.
now I’ll be forced to address which clutch I’m gonna end up going with and whether to keep OEM flywheel or try and go SMF.

OP
OP
redcivic19x

redcivic19x

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Etune with drob
Oh ok thanks for the help. Just curious, how exactly does that process work? You just data log and pass it back and forth to drob until everything is honed in?
just curious because KTuner software won’t even allow me to “direct data logging” for some reason. The option is always greyed our for me. The only thing I can do is hit the red “record” button, stop it, then export to CSV, but even when I do that the parameters don’t even seem to all be there.

airickmatthews

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hatch sport
Country flag
Gotcha - thank you for confirming what I was already thinking. I’d hate to put any tuner through that.
guess I’ll just take it easy from the OTS tune until I can save up for a clutch.
now I’ll be forced to address which clutch I’m gonna end up going with and whether to keep OEM flywheel or try and go SMF.
TypeR retro

airickmatthews

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hatch sport
Country flag
Oh ok thanks for the help. Just curious, how exactly does that process work? You just data log and pass it back and forth to drob until everything is honed in?
just curious because KTuner software won’t even allow me to “direct data logging” for some reason. The option is always greyed our for me. The only thing I can do is hit the red “record” button, stop it, then export to CSV, but even when I do that the parameters don’t even seem to all be there.
Yea just record and email it to him, within a day or two he will send you a revised map that you load and data log. It’s a process, takes time, but worth it. I’m about to start the process all over again with him. I’m upgrading to Prl big turbo.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Yup, he'll give you a starter map, you go for a pull, return logs and he makes adjustments. Back and forth until he's happy with where things stand. Not sure if he'll want to re-scale the MAF to get that close to perfect or not (that process can be a pain). source: e-tuned my WRX years ago

As far as having issues logging, he should be able to help you get that squared away. I've never tried, so not sure if you're seeing something abnormal or not.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
I'm guessing as soon as he saw clutch slip he'd stop tuning and let you know you need to address that first. I'm in the same boat trying to determine what route I want to go for a new clutch. Really interested in seeing more reviews of the Competition Clutch option that was released recently.

OP
OP
redcivic19x

redcivic19x

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm guessing as soon as he saw clutch slip he'd stop tuning and let you know you need to address that first. I'm in the same boat trying to determine what route I want to go for a new clutch. Really interested in seeing more reviews of the Competition Clutch option that was released recently.
Yep same here. I was looking at one on PRLs site. I’m also looking into the eman type r retrofit or the FX400 which I’ve read some good reviews about. I’ve already got a shop that said they could do same-day clutch swap for $600, but just have to find what’s best for my setup.

OP
OP
redcivic19x

redcivic19x

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yea just record and email it to him, within a day or two he will send you a revised map that you load and data log. It’s a process, takes time, but worth it. I’m about to start the process all over again with him. I’m upgrading to Prl big turbo.
Oh ok. Just wasn’t sure if I was even doing data logging right because of that option being always greyed out. Dude nice! That’s exciting.
part of me wishes I would have done that, but I’m in too deep now to back track. No way I could afford to swap out my parts for all PRL and go down that route. But if I could go back I’d go that way now.
im waiting to see what happens with RV6 drop-in turbo and what the 27won W2 is gonna look like. That’ll be my next upgrade when the time comes.

OP
OP
redcivic19x

redcivic19x

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
TypeR retro
I hear eman is always backed up with these. But also heard you could send back your OEM flywheel for a rebate which is pretty cool.
Sponsored