Does the 2017 Civic Sedan have Auto High Beams?

Entropy42

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mazda 6
I googled around for this and found a lot of conflicting information. I'm looking at a 2017 Civic Touring Sedan, and as best I can tell people found that the manual said they have this feature, but other people have reported that their 2016 also said that and didn't have the feature. Hatchbacks seem to have it.

EDIT: Yes, they do have it, but only on the Touring model. It's listed on Honda's official site.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Marcensens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic hatchback 2017
Vehicle Showcase
I think you have to pull on the left handle or right handle( I can't quite remember) for a few seconds do de-activate auto high beams .

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I have an EX-L sedan. I thought the "auto" setting only turned the low beams on. They also come on after a time using your wipers. They're supposed to automatically turn on the high beams? That's news to me. And how would that work exactly?

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
I googled around for this and found a lot of conflicting information. I'm looking at a 2017 Civic Touring Sedan, and as best I can tell people found that the manual said they have this feature, but other people have reported that their 2016 also said that and didn't have the feature. Hatchbacks seem to have it.
Touring models do. All Civics' have Auto On/Off Headlights which is different than Auto High beams.
Based on information in the owner's manuals and Honda's US and Canadian websites, only the Canadian Civic hatchbacks equipped with Honda Sensing (optional on LX and Sport and standard on Touring) have automatic high beams. No US Civic has automatic high beams.

There's no mention of automatic high beams in the sedan/coupe owner's manual. The hatchback owner's manual has a section on automatic high beams, but states that it is "not available on all models". The US Civic hatchback website and brochure makes no mention of automatic high beams. The Canadian website and brochure do.

So, the only Civics that have automatic high beams are:

Civic LX or Sport hatchbacks with Honda Sensing and CVT sold in Canada.
Civic Touring hatchback sold in Canada.

Last edited:

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I think you have to pull on the left handle or right handle( I can't quite remember) for a few seconds do de-activate auto high beams .
Its the left handle (high beams) and you have to hold it down for a full 40 seconds to turn the feature on/off. Really the most annoying toggle of any feature in the car. I tried them and didn't quite like it so have turned them off and they will remain that way.

OP
OP
Entropy42

Entropy42

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mazda 6
Civic LX or Sport hatchbacks with Honda Sensing and CVT sold in Canada.
Civic Touring hatchback sold in Canada.
See, this is what I mean about confusing. You say it's only on hatchbacks in Canada (and provide supporting evidence), then the next guy posts how he turns his on/off in New Jersey.

Last edited:

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
See, this is what I mean about confusing. You say it's only on hatchbacks in Canada (and provide supporting evidence), then the next guy posts how he turns his on/off in New Jersey.
After digging a bit further, the press release for the Civic hatchback on hondanews.com indicates that the automatic high beam feature is available on the Civic LX, EX, and EX-L Navi hatchbacks and standard on the Civic Sport Touring hatchback in the US. I also found it listed on the US Civic hatchback website under "Driver Assist Technology".

With this new information (and the member above confirming his Sport Touring hatchback has the feature), it seems as though the automatic high beam feature is standard on both US and Civic hatchbacks when equipped with Honda Sensing.

However, I can find no mention of the automatic high beam feature on any sedan or coupe either in the owner's manual, on the website, or in the press releases.

OP
OP
Entropy42

Entropy42

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mazda 6
I believe its only on Touring hatchbacks in the US, not sure about Touring sedans, but that's where I would expect to find them since they have the LED headlights too.

Edit - apparently it got added to sedans in 2017 for the Touring only...

http://www.civicx.com/threads/2017-sedan-v-2016-what-changed.5892/#post-106470
Yeah, thanks for the link. I had seen that, but later in that thread someone posted a "dealer info" section on what's new in the 2017s and it doesn't mention the Auto High Beams. I don't trust my dealer to know this obscure feature, and they aren't open at night when I could try it on a test drive, so I was hoping to find someone who owns a 2017 Civic Touring sedan that could confirm/deny.

But I guess that is still listed as a feature on the official honda site (https://automobiles.honda.com/2017/civic-sedan#build-price-app), so that's good enough for me. Not sure why I didn't just look there to begin with. Thanks!

Last edited:

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
For 2017+, it does appear to be a standard feature of the Honda Sensing package.
When you are driving at night above 25 mph (40 km/h) and the headlight lever is in the low-beam position with the switch rotated to AUTO, the system intuitively changes between low and high beams depending on surrounding conditions.
https://automobiles.honda.com/sensing

Here's more detailed information:

Attachments

Last edited:

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Not all cars with Honda Sensing have it (i.e. not the 2017 Sedan EX-L with Sensing) I think it might be all cars with LED headlights and Honda Sense.
The 2017 and 2018 CR-V EX, EX-L and EX-L Navi have Honda Sensing, automatic high beams, and halogen headlights. ;)

The IIHS website also states that the 2017 Civic hatchback LX, EX, and EX-L Navi trims when equipped with Honda Sensing have automatic high beams. Those models have halogen headlights.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/honda/civic-4-door-hatchback

The IIHS website also states that the 2017 Civic Touring Sedan and Coupe have automatic high beams.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/honda/civic-4-door-sedan
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/honda/civic-2-door-coupe

Sooo... I think we have enough information to conclude that the following US Civic models have automatic high beam headlights:

2017-current Touring Sedan (LED headlights)*
2017-current Touring Coupe (LED headlights)*
2017-current LX, EX, and EX-L Navi Hatchback when equipped with Honda Sensing (halogen headlights)
2017-current Sport Touring Hatchback (LED headlights)

*As of the writing of this post, the owner's manuals for the coupe and sedan make absolutely NO mention whatsoever of the auto high beam feature unlike the owner's manual for the hatchback.

Last edited:

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah - I think we finally solved the mystery, but you can never be too sure about Honda's website, which continues to incorrectly show the climate control panel from an HR-V for the Ridgeline since it went on sale in June 2016.

And, let's not forget the press release straight from Honda earlier this year that stated the Civic Si would have rain-sensing wipers, remote start, and a single-mass flywheel - none of which were correct. ;)

And, the window stickers on the 2017 Ridgeline that advertised walk-away auto locking on trims that didn't have the feature...

And, the window stickers on the 2017 CR-V EX-L that stated it had HD Radio when it didn't...

In the latter two cases, Honda apologized and sent a gift card to owners who complained, but couldn't/wouldn't add the feature that was advertised.

Honda Civic 10th gen Does the 2017 Civic Sedan have Auto High Beams? ridgeline

Alejoviejo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Cadillac CTS, 2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
This was an issues for me last year before I bought my 17 Sedan Touring. I double checked the manual and it does not say auto high beams. I've tried months ago to see if it would worked and nothing did. The only model that EXPLICITLY says auto high beams is the Sport Touring hatchback (at least in the US)
Sponsored