Does PPF worth it or not ?

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
Hi,

What do you guys suggest. My car is 4000 miles old and I wash it whenever I get time and also wax it everytime. Looking at the front bumper and grill I am feeling to get PPF for the car. I checked with detailmaniac in sacramento,CA and those guys are quoting me $1800 if I pay in cash for standard protections which covers entire front and rocker panels where the road debris/tar can cause damage. Is it worth it to get it now as it's already old and not like brand new out of showroom.
Sponsored

RedBullHondaF1

Banned
Banned
First Name
Speed Maniac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, 2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I can answer this. I had it on my 9th gen. I paid 1300 for full frontal protection. Did it protect it from chips....yes. I had Xpel and it had a 10 year guarantee. But guess what? I don't think it is worth the cost, and I don't have the car anymore and got nearly nothing back for it upon trading it in for my new Si. I thought I was going to keep my 9th for a long time, but after driving a 10th...that went out the window.

Do you plan on keeping this car for a long time? Is this going to be a museum piece car for you? If not....there are far more better things you can do with that 1800 dollars (like a DP, ecu tuner and intake!). Check out youtube on how to do proper touch up on small chips and invest some time and skill into that...its far cheaper. You can also buy ceramic coatings and do it yourself too for some small level of protection and better shine and water repellence, but more importantly for paint protection against environmental damage (rain, bird droppings, bugs, road residues). There's really no reason to be putting PPF on a Civic Si. Type R...maybe....

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
I've been going through the same thoughts. I've decided, especially thanks to another member on here who already did the SunTek Ultra film himself, that I'll be doing it too. For around $300 for the bumper, grille, headlights, fog lights, hood and door cups- it's easier to install than most other films, yet offers the same level of protection, won't yellow or fade and is self-healing. It also has a type of ceramic coating built into it to provide a very slick surface compared to the other big brands.

OP
OP
saiko21

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Do you plan on keeping this car for a long time? Is this going to be a museum piece car for you? If not....there are far more better things you can do with that 1800 dollars (like a DP, ecu tuner and intake!). Check out youtube on how to do proper touch up on small chips and invest some time and skill into that...its far cheaper. You can also buy ceramic coatings and do it yourself too for some small level of protection and better shine and water repellence, but more importantly for paint protection against environmental damage (rain, bird droppings, bugs, road residues). .
Not a museum car. Its my daily driver. I feel the civic paint is too sensitive. I already did touchups on my hood because of rock chips using wet sanding. I think ceramic coating is waste of money. I always wash and wax whenever I find time in the weekends. Synthetic wax is protecting the car from bird droppings and bugs to some extent.

OP
OP
saiko21

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've been going through the same thoughts. I've decided, especially thanks to another member on here who already did the SunTek Ultra film himself, that I'll be doing it too. For around $300 for the bumper, grille, headlights, fog lights, hood and door cups- it's easier to install than most other films, yet offers the same level of protection, won't yellow or fade and is self-healing. It also has a type of ceramic coating built into it to provide a very slick surface compared to the other big brands.
I thought of installing it by myself bu without proper prep work and without help from anyone I can't do it. Also, I feel its better to leave it to professionals as I can't prepare my car at my apartment to install the film by myself. I am a DIY guy but I don't prefer doing somethings by myself.

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
I thought of installing it by myself bu without proper prep work and without help from anyone I can't do it. Also, I feel its better to leave it to professionals as I can't prepare my car at my apartment to install the film by myself. I am a DIY guy but I don't prefer doing somethings by myself.
Very true. I used to detail vehicles professionally, so I have all the tools for paint correction. Having a second set of hands to lay down the PPF definitely wouldn’t hurt though too.

slipstream

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
I have a 2020 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback. I plan on putting self-healing 8 mil PPF on doors, door cup holders, and rear bumper (to avoid scratching when loading and unloading) before I ceramic coat my car. The PPF that I will be purchasing is from install proz (amazon lists some cheaper prices than their website with shipping). I'll be purchasing the computerized cut for the rear bumper since I don't want to deal with cutting. I'm debating on whether or not I should buy the computerized cut for the door cup PPF or just the universal door cup PPF. It's only $5 dollars more for the computerized cut, but then I have to pay $10 more for shipping when I order it from install proz directly. I could save $15 if I buy the universal door cup PPF from amazon. The only thing is I don't know if the door handle cups on a Honda Civic are universal. Does anyone know?
Sponsored