Does oil dilution plague the Si as well?

GoWipe415

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
Hello all,

First post and a potential buyer. I have heard and read issues with the 1.5 in the civic and crv in regards to fuel being diluted in the oil. Increasing oil levels and the smell of fuel on the dipstick are generally the tell tale signs from what I've seen. I know that it's usually the case with direct injected motors but I haven't read about the Si having the same problem or people just aren't talking about it.

So basically being DI there is probably some dilution but is it as bad as what they're encountering on the CRV's and "regular" 1.5 turbos on the other honda lines? I know they had a massive production stoppage on CRV's in China but has anyone on here had any issues regarding this?

BTW, drove the car about a month ago and it was awesome. Coming from a 4cyl accord this is a blast to drive not to mention great handling and, from what I hear, great gas mileage.

Thanks
Sponsored

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Knock on wood. Shouldn't be an issue as long as oil is changed per maintenance minder. Honda would be recalling them if there's an issue. The CRVs in China affected a certain batch of cars as I recall.

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
This is the 2nd thread about this 'issue'. Is it truly an issue? Honda is one of the world's largest engine manufacturers and while no one is perfect, I'd find it hard to believe they could be capable of such an error.

sib2on

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan (Aegean Blue)
Country flag
Could someone give me some education in regards of this? A simple explanation would suffice. My maintenance is coming up soon

DrwMDvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan, 2000 Honda Civic
Country flag
Could someone give me some education in regards of this? A simple explanation would suffice. My maintenance is coming up soon
From my understanding, direct injection causes fuel to blow past the piston rings and into the crank case, diluting the oil with fuel. This can cause the oil level to rise on the dipstick.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Our used oil samples suggest that while fuel is present in the oil, it's not an issue. Which is also true for every other 1.5T out there. Most of the fuel vapors get burned off or siphoned out of the PCV during normal operation as the oil reaches operating temps.

If this were truly a problem with the 1.5, I would think we'd see very low viscosity readings in our samples. The available data doesn't seem to support that.

ParkwayDrive13

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen Ralley Red SI
Country flag
The test I had done on my oil after the first oil change showed oil dilution. However, the test showed viscosity was unaffected(within normal range). It was more-so just noted that it was at above industry normal levels. They also noted that they were unsure (at the time) if this was normal levels for my vehicle.

The test was performed by black stone, back in March or April

OP
OP

GoWipe415

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
This is more reassuring to know it's not something significant. Now I'm somewhat torn between a few cars I'm cross shopping the Si against (GTI/WRX).

Appreciate the responses!

ParkwayDrive13

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen Ralley Red SI
Country flag
Good choices!!!

Honestly, they're all good in their own way, and each of their own perks.

However, The Si is the most well rounded vehicle out of the 3 you listed in my opinion. Based on longevity, MPG,Handling & power. Good luck on your quest for a new car!

OP
OP

GoWipe415

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
I figure the Si has the reliability edge and agree with being well rounded. I've had a Subaru in the past and it's a bit tougher to work on than Hondas in general, never had the GTI but have heard those cars tend to be a bit more troublesome in general.

I found it crazy when I read some people were getting Honda Fit type gas mileage when driven conservatively which is quite amazing.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I found it crazy when I read some people were getting Honda Fit type gas mileage when driven conservatively which is quite amazing.
The Si is quite fuel efficient when driven normally. I just wish the rest of the family can drive a stick aside from myself.

Honda Civic 10th gen Does oil dilution plague the Si as well? upload_2018-7-18_23-6-9

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I figure the Si has the reliability edge and agree with being well rounded. I've had a Subaru in the past and it's a bit tougher to work on than Hondas in general, never had the GTI but have heard those cars tend to be a bit more troublesome in general.

People say no one buys these kinds of cars for fuel efficiency, which I guess is true to a point, but when you are actually using it as a DD and commuter car (and filling with premium fuel) then fuel efficiency is actually kind of important. Especially if you are doing 18k miles/year. The 41.6 was an all highway run. The Fuelly numbers are very true to life for me. I know others do better, but that is mixed driving, decent amount of highway, but also stop-and-go traffic during the commute.

Honda Civic 10th gen Does oil dilution plague the Si as well? Fuelly

Honda Civic 10th gen Does oil dilution plague the Si as well? IMG_4043.JPG

skullmurdoc

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic SI sedan 2017 , Civic SI sedan 2013
Country flag
Did you drive the new WRX ? The clutch and shifter really suck balls. I had a WRX 2017 before the SI. I wasn't able to drive it smoothly. I’ve been driving manual car for 20 years and this car made me feel like I didn't know how to drive. lol

None of my friend or family could drive it smoothly also. The SI is not perfect but its way better transmission wise.

Ataricade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
I bet if you never thought of it again. Just changed oil via the mantinence minder. It would never be an issue.

Life is complicated enough don’t look for problems
Sponsored