Does Modding your car raise or lower the value?

OP
OP
RehabJP

RehabJP

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stoneautotech.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
If they're well built i really don't think its an issue but I would not trust my life to Chinesium alloy lol
Yea. I don't know I was on Amazon today and seriously considered buying $140 wheels. They looked good in the picture but they are not gonna be ENKIEs for $140 bucks each LOL
Sponsored

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You're rolling around on 50 dollar spacers...?
I'm sure Garage Line would love to hear your chinesium comment. :rofl: Don't assume... remember I'm cheap, and only shop deals. ?

OhMyItsKev

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I'm sure Garage Line would love to hear your chinesium comment. :rofl: Don't assume... remember I'm cheap, and only shop deals. ?
Oh, if you're on garagelines thats a hell of a deal lol

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
The intake is easy enough to return to stock. Same with exhaust if its a bolt on anyway and not welded. If you replace the Clutch and or Flywheel really most would not know the difference unless they are particularity keen on the feel of a stock Si clutch V Aftermarket so I don't know... I think you could get a dealer to take it and give you close to the stock value of the car for its condition if you returned the parts you took off back to their proper place or at least the easy to get to ones and you cold even throw the stock flywheel and clutch disk back on if you wanted to take the time and I bet most would be none the wiser. Now flashing the ECU is a bit harder to hide I know they can see on their Honda Scan Tools if the ECU was flashed, when it was flashed and all that so they will know you modded the car to some extent and if you show up with a bunch of vinyl stickers from 27WON and Aquity and Boomba Racing and KTuner all over the car that might give it away LOL

For privet sale I do agree maybe mods do not add value to the car for most people. I know there are some out there that would like to buy a fully loaded civic with the intake and the clutch and the exhaust and all the mods you would need to make it go fast, enjoy a track day and have a cool street civic to boot already installed especially if they are quality parts and not an EBay or Amazon special. Now I guess you cannot expect to get all the money back for your mods but certainly if you do a good job and build a solid track car their are people out there that will pay for that. I mean look at VinWiki stories you see it all the time somebody gets a stock car, mods it and flips it for profit. Now they usually do not do it with a brand new car off the lot but still I think I can at least break even if and when I do decide to flip my current Si which I would be more than happy with. If I can get enough to pay off the bank and be able to move onto the next car. I know I am not gonna make a huge profit for sure even if I dropped 100K in mods and upgrades probably not gonna happen unless 10th Gen civic Market skyrockets LOL
My point is, even if you only do a handful of boltons, you're stuck with either trying to sell a modded car, or if you revert back to stock, you'll have a garage corner full of stuff that you'll never use again and need to either sell separately or throw into the dump. So can you get lucky and find local buyers, or do you need to start shipping parts everywhere?

yhkwok

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 Galant ES 2.4, 18 Sienna XLE (FWD), 18 FK7 ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd imagine when the next guy buying the car, everyone wants to feel the car belongs to yourself as a fresh start, just like you probably don't want your spouse to remind you his/her ex all the time, mods that aren't factory will bring up the question " what have the last guy done?" Then leads to when a problem shown the new owner may say "o the last guy probably did something that caused that, wonder what else has that guy ruined..."
More or less, everyone have different taste in car mods, but still, as the current owner of our car, we have every right to mod our cars responsibly :)

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I'm not talking cheap carbon fiber accents for the interior trim I am talking quality performance mods. Cold Air Intake, Single Mass flywheel, sport clutch, short shiftier, big brake kit, Cat Back exhaust.

I was thinking today I bought (partially financed) my car, a 2020 Civic Si, and immediately started unbolting stock parts and adding after market. Acuity shift Bushings, PRL Intake, Soon to have an ACT clutch kit and flywheel and Borla Car Back and probably will not stop there. If say in a year or two I want to trade that in at a dealership and put it toward a newer car since I should still have some equity in that car in a couple years (Hopefully) will the dealership give me less, more or the same because it is not in stock configuration.

Seeing as anything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it maybe in that case it would be better to try to arrange a privet sell to someone who can appreciate the upgrades then pay off the car, and put equity toward a down payment?

Any thoughts? just curious.
If the car is expected to be purchased at a car dealership then one set of values exists for the variables in the question. If it will be sold privately, then another set of values will exist. If sold at auction another set. I am still learning and am 48 years old but buying a used car is "buyer beware" and it will always imply risks not typically there for new car purchase. Hence the cheaper price though. You can usually tell if a car was modded and driven hard because modders typically follow the car culture and the cars will usually be: lower, louder, cold-air intake, and certain things: aftermarket audio, holes in interior panels, extra wires lying around, tint, etc etc. I will want to know compression but mainly WHO owned it. The age of the driver tells me almost everything I need to know. The proof is ultimately in the pudding. The test drive tells all. It doesn't lie and never will. Combined with intimate look under the hood and underneath, smart buyers will glean information. But a sucker is born everyday. Even an abused car will probably find a sucker to buy it eventually.

PandaXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EX-T with Honda Sensing
Country flag

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I dont think moding lowers the value of the car unless its crap stuff i just think it doesnt add value to the car
Maybe if you sell to a private party who loves your mods but dealers absolutely want the cars you trade in to be close to OEM. Those $3000 Volks are awesome to the guy modding his car but a dealer prefers the heavy stock OEM wheels. Most buyers want OEM.

Which is the exact reason that even though I bought aftermarket wheels, I kept the stock ones as well.

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
I don’t have any mechanical mods, but some cosmetic. Would red OEM badges, black grill, or window tint affect trade in value at a dealer?

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I don’t have any mechanical mods, but some cosmetic. Would red OEM badges, black grill, or window tint affect trade in value at a dealer?
It won't help the value, but maybe they won't take too much notice or think the tint looks good (and legal) enough to not try and knock down the price because of them.
Sponsored