Does Maintenance Minder account for Fuel/Oil Dilution

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Every Direct Injection ?
I never see oil dilution on any on our family previous cars witch was direct injection neither on our 2 Civic in the family .
I always do our oil change ( and more ) since many decades

First time in my life I heard about that is here in the Civic with Turbo forum.

Any explanation ?
Civic LX does not have direct injection. Unless you also have some Civic turbos in your family.

There are several direct injection engines in my family. I have been aware of fuel dilution on direct injection for quite a while before the Civic was released, and have tried to minimize the dilution in my Civic since the day I bought it.
Sponsored

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I think one thing to bear in mind is, while it is well know that DI engines have some OD, there appears to be some individual vehicles, were the OD is excessive, indicating that there may be a manufacturing or design issue in that particular individual vehicle.

"All Honda 1.5L Turbo engines are born equal, but some end up being less equal than others"

Honda Civic 10th gen Does Maintenance Minder account for Fuel/Oil Dilution animal_farm__paolo_calleri

-----------
BTW:
Forum members are also on very shaky ground, and loose all credibility, when they go around posting that other members "They do not know what they are talking about", when, they themselves have NO IDEA who those other Forum members are, or what knowledge and experience those members have.

It is my experience that in fact, it is those posting such comments, who know far less than others, and are just displaying their ignorance, without realizing just how immature and stupid they come across on the forum.

Last edited:

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
Snoopyslr write ;
Did you do any oil analysis reports on those vehicles?

No. Why ?

Never see oil overfill on my disptick like I read on oil dilution forum mostly turbo (?)
I drive more than 130K miles with more than 10 years on my previous cars same with other family car
Never had any engine issue. Or any other issue

If ain't broke don't try to fix it.

I admit oil may have gas like engine dirt and carbon. Nothing to worry about IMO

Frozen Gnome

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Honda Fit, 2015 Honda Odyssey
Country flag
The first generation Honda Fits had a fun fault where they would eject coil packs while driving and somehow not throw a code. Second Gen Fits inexplicably require valve adjustments despite not being from the 80s. Early 2000 Odysseys go through transmissions faster than Spinal Tap went through drummers.

2.5L Subaru EJ engines ate head gaskets, the FB engines consume oil, and the turbo DI engines spray multiple times more crud on the intake valve than a civic. They also had to extend the CVT warranty after failures and class action lawsuits.

Nissan's CVTs belong in a horror film. I have yet to see a Mazda older than 5 years without a serious rust problem. I'm not sure Mitsubishi is actually a car company anymore. Toyota, well outside of the 1ZZ engines, they're reliable but I have yet to enjoy driving one. They did have a phony unintended acceleration panic

Don't even get started on German, Brittish or American issues. Fiat Chrysler has more issues than all the Japanese manufacturers combined.

If you search long enough you will become convinced that every car is poorly designed.
It is easier to find out about issues because of the internet. Hell Subaru only got started in the US because they set up dealerships in areas where people wouldn't read what Consumer Reports said about them.

There is no secret conspiracy surrounding oil dilution. If you are really concerned, dump the car before the powertrain warranty runs out or pay for the extended warranty. Otherwise, just check your oil level every other time you fuel up. If you are high, change the oil early. It honestly is not that big a deal.

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
The amount of gas in the oil would appear to be quite low by volume.

Let's say the the rise in oil level is equivalent to 6 ounces.

There's approximately 4-1/2 quarts of oil in the 1.5L engine. That's 145 ounces of oil.

6 / (145 + 6) = 4% gas by volume.

That doesn't appear to be all that significant.

Maybe this issue's gotten much more notoriety than it deserves.

Honda should correct it and they will. But it doesn't appear to be a critical issue for the typical civic owner.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The amount of gas in the oil would appear to be quite low by volume.

Let's say the the rise in oil level is equivalent to 6 ounces.

There's approximately 4-1/2 quarts of oil in the 1.5L engine. That's 145 ounces of oil.

6 / (145 + 6) = 4% gas by volume.

That doesn't appear to be all that significant.

Maybe this issue's gotten much more notoriety than it deserves.

Honda should correct it and they will. But it doesn't appear to be a critical issue for the typical civic owner.
The problem is you cannot correct this. There is no ECU update and there is no part you can add or replace to fix fuel dilution in a DI engine. Unless you can engineer a material to create the piston rings and cylinder walls out of that has absolutely zero thermal expansion.

It is my experience that in fact, it is those posting such comments, who know far less than others, and are just displaying their ignorance, without realizing just how immature and stupid they come across on the forum.
I literally design cars for a living and I spent the last 3 years designing fuel systems. I've been building engines since I've been 18. I'm not spouting for internet points, I'm trying to displace all the misinformation and educate people that are ignorant to what is really happening. People keep freaking out over having fuel in their oil, but the majority can't tell you what having fuel in your oil will even do.

OP
OP

rraayy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
Can't all be engine designers I guess, good to know you aren't worried about the issue! In the future, feel free to not click a thread that has words in the title you don't feel like reading - no one likes the self-appointed message board monitor.

So sorry to all of you and your loved ones - I felt I was asking a rather specific question regarding the MM itself, as this is my first Honda. Silly me asks questions he doesn't know the answer to on Honda-specific forum, again my sincerest apologies.

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 10th Gen - Vti-LX (Australia)
Country flag
Did you do any oil analysis reports on those vehicles?
Is anyone ever actually doing that? I've never even heard of this. Nor have I ever heard or seen of a way to test it? If it was a thing, and it was bad I'm sure the dealership maintenance department would be advertising it as something you could spend your money on....

Sounds like it's a whole lot of "old wives tales".

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Is anyone ever actually doing that? I've never even heard of this. Nor have I ever heard or seen of a way to test it? If it was a thing, and it was bad I'm sure the dealership maintenance department would be advertising it as something you could spend your money on....

It's definitely a thing and quite popular. Check the oil thread in the maintenance section. Plenty of oil test results posted.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can't all be engine designers I guess, good to know you aren't worried about the issue! In the future, feel free to not click a thread that has words in the title you don't feel like reading - no one likes the self-appointed message board monitor.

So sorry to all of you and your loved ones - I felt I was asking a rather specific question regarding the MM itself, as this is my first Honda. Silly me asks questions he doesn't know the answer to on Honda-specific forum, again my sincerest apologies.
I find it hilarious that you're the one who's bent out of shape about my replies when the only thing I said directly to you was we have 50+ threads about this already.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

It's a common thing like @REBELXSi said. Dealerships only will fork out the money to do an oil analysis as a way for them to get out of doing warranty work. Despite all their smiles and donuts in the waiting room they do not have your best interest at heart. The only thing they care about is money.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I'm not referring to the OP, (disclaimer #1) and I'm not trying to enforce or impose anything (disclaimer #2) but I'm just giving free advice to those who have obviously zero STEM in them (it shows) :wave:. They would do better and the forum would be better if they read more and wrote less on those more involved technical issues. And when they do write, they would benefit more if they mostly asked questions.

There are plenty other interesting, but naturally more inclusive topics to write about, where everyone can express themselves, such as: paint colors, horn loudness, seat comfort, dealings with dealers and police, car buying and pricing, driving, gas mileage, car washing, upholstery cleaning, floor mats, and so much more.:thumbsup:

ShuJam

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My brother did have some issues related to the oil dilution on his CR-V, mostly the gas smell when checking the oil dipstick. The oil life % on his maintenance minder did drop quite quickly. Since the product update fix, it's been fine.

AhabSnake

First Name
Elie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic vti s Luxe
Country flag
I'm sure the Honda Maintenance Minder follows a simple formula to calculate when you should change your oil and I'd be willing to bet the farm on the fact that it doesn't include a problem like fuel dilution which they don't even really acknowledge.

Also, not sure if you meant that you let your car idle until it's at "operating temp" but if so, don't. Long cold engine idling is supposedly a major factor in this whole fuel/oil dilution situation.
How long shoul i idle if trips under 10/15 mins?
Sponsored