Does Maintenance Minder account for Fuel/Oil Dilution

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
How long shoul i idle if trips under 10/15 mins?
You shouldn't idle long at all. If it's cold, just wait until the RPMs drop to about 1,000-1,200 and drive without full throttle inputs and keep the RPMs at a reasonable rate, I stay under 3k until my engine is fully warmed. Basically drive like a reasonable person until your engine is warm.
Sponsored

teders

First Name
Ted Dorosheff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OP
OP

rraayy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
I barely idle at all, and I’ve noticed my RPMs have been dropping faster upon start up (not sure if the engine is just more broken in or what).

I keep the car under 2k rpm and just warm up until the temp gauge starts to rise - I pretty much keep it under 3K rpm even after it’s hetting warmed up, though I do push it hard from time to time.

Are people just changing the oil every 6/mo are jut follow the MM regardless. I drive low miles, but even when I do drove I try and take a longer route just to get it warmed (I rarely/never take trips without it warmed up, annoying sometimes but whatever an engine can’t be perfect.)

I figured this car was too good to be true with the fuel efficiency / fun of driving

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I'm not referring to the OP, (disclaimer #1) and I'm not trying to enforce or impose anything (disclaimer #2) but I'm just giving free advice to those who have obviously zero STEM in them (it shows) :wave:. They would do better and the forum would be better if they read more and wrote less on those more involved technical issues. And when they do write, they would benefit more if they mostly asked questions.

There are plenty other interesting, but naturally more inclusive topics to write about, where everyone can express themselves, such as: paint colors, horn loudness, seat comfort, dealings with dealers and police, car buying and pricing, driving, gas mileage, car washing, upholstery cleaning, floor mats, and so much more.:thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Honda Civic 10th gen Does Maintenance Minder account for Fuel/Oil Dilution ve-moderator-locks-every-topic-about-fuel-dilution-problems-2205db17-032d-4649-ada0-b81a9d33e7f0

Sorry, I just came across this and had to post it somewhere :rofl:

AhabSnake

First Name
Elie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic vti s Luxe
Country flag
I barely idle at all, and I’ve noticed my RPMs have been dropping faster upon start up (not sure if the engine is just more broken in or what).

I keep the car under 2k rpm and just warm up until the temp gauge starts to rise - I pretty much keep it under 3K rpm even after it’s hetting warmed up, though I do push it hard from time to time.

Are people just changing the oil every 6/mo are jut follow the MM regardless. I drive low miles, but even when I do drove I try and take a longer route just to get it warmed (I rarely/never take trips without it warmed up, annoying sometimes but whatever an engine can’t be perfect.)

I figured this car was too good to be true with the fuel efficiency / fun of driving
What if you need to reverse a car out of the driveway, would you idel then?

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What if you need to reverse a car out of the driveway, would you idel then?
The idea of letting a car idle for a while just to back it out of the driveway is laughable. I'd turn it on, let it idle for 20-30 seconds and move it.

AhabSnake

First Name
Elie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic vti s Luxe
Country flag
The idea of letting a car idle for a while just to back it out of the driveway is laughable. I'd turn it on, let it idle for 20-30 seconds and move it.
Lol. What about a 5 min drive to the local shop. 1 min idle or 30 secs?

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Lol. What about a 5 min drive to the local shop. 1 min idle or 30 secs?
Idle until the RPMs take their initial big drop and drive. Just keep the RPMs low and don't use full throttle.

Pacino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
couple things:

1. Oil dilution is a common thing for DI engine. do your research.

2.Civic 1.5T oil dilution was 1st found in China has a massive recalls, for the recall. replace AC parts to make it warm up faster, but this only reduce the extent of issue not permanently fix the issue.
Also, people did the recall do found that the engine warm up faster, BUT, it does lost some power and become more smooth like 'CVT' in the bad way.

3. So I will not do this recall until some thing new comes out. I will keep using non ethanol gas, full synthetic oil within 8000KM interval, prevent short drive. Only thing I worry is Carbon build up for the engine.

Thx

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda themselves send me a letter about the oil dilution problems to take in my car for a fix , so can you say its not a problem huh? Before the fix when i start my car in cold weather the car inside smells like gas and alot its so bad i felt dizzy
Do you have a catch can? Lots of catch cans were causing in cabin fuel smells. My Mishimoto can was causing smells until I replaced the lines and fittings.

Yes, I can say that it's not a problem for the majority. I can back that statement by looking at all the oil analysis reports that our community does and not seeing A SINGLE ONE with a problem. I know nobody is bothering to take the time to read these reports I keep linking, but I'm going to keep linking them anyways.
https://www.civicx.com/threads/oil-analysis-database.21607/#post-364703

You living in Canada means you're probably in the extreme cold climates that favors fuel dilution. I'm not telling anybody to not take their vehicle to the dealer to have this TSB performed. I'm saying that based on 26 individual oil analysis there is no signs of oil failing to do it's job while being diluted with +5% fuel. I wish people would take a moment to understand what's really happening and look at the data.

Cray23

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen Civic
Country flag
The nonsense levels of these fuel dilutions threads is getting out of hand...

Faulty engine, C- lawyers, and now oil change sensors...

Every Direct Injected engine has fuel dilution. There is nothing wrong with the motor. There is also nothing wrong with fuel being in your oil. For the love of God, please stop spreading misinformation and raging about things you don't even understand.
Well I thought it was all blown out of proportion until my engine almost blew up on me. Driving 80 on the interstate on a 50 degree day shouldn’t cause the engine to overheat but as it turns out my oil had gotten so diluted by gas I had to get it changed again after only 800 miles. there was 2.5x more fluid than there should have been and my engine gets diluted after 45 mins of driving causing overheating, misfires, and a top speed of 15mph (limp mode). So no. I don’t think this has been blown out of proportion. I’ve been to 3 mechanics, had my oil tested, replaced spark plugs, filters, etc, and nobody can find a problem with the engine or knows how to fix it. I can only drive about 45 minutes at highway speeds before she starts misfiring and I need to pull over. I thought I had bought a reliable car. (35k miles 2019 hatchback) (please help)

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
You probably should have started a new thread considering the last post here was four years ago. :cool: What mods are you running and what check engine codes, if any? Are your drives mostly short or long distance?
Sponsored