FlexRex

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX and M5
Country flag
I see, so you just prefer flying saucer over Hawaiian bun, dont fret over it.
Sponsored

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I see, so you just prefer flying saucer over Hawaiian bun, dont fret over it.
I think it's more Mobile Suit Gundam than flying saucer

OP
OP

OhMyItsKev

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think it's more Mobile Suit Gundam than flying saucer
Ooo this I can see. The front really did remind me of a Gundam. Been a fan of Endless Waltz since I was a kid...

86salmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ooo this I can see. The front really did remind me of a Gundam. Been a fan of Endless Waltz since I was a kid...
I liked Wing

8th MS and Unicorn are both good too

OP
OP

OhMyItsKev

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Updating this thread. It's been a while since I had to move. I'll probably post the data logs from KTuner later this upcoming week, but before that, there were some things that I was wondering...

I had found a stock BPV supposedly from a Type R (don't know if that matters) and also installed the PRL CAI. The CAI dropped intake temps (during normal driving) to 7-8F above ambient compared to that Injen SRI which caused intake temps to be 15-18F above ambient again during normal driving. So there is a noticeable drop in intake temperature as observed by the Ktuner V2. So the PRL CAI is definitely doing something.

I'm not sure if it's just my ears playing tricks on me but with the install of the PRL CAI the intake sound is much louder and it feels as if the overall engine sound is more pronounced also.

And someone that I want to get everyone's opinion about it... I had previously had the Boomba Racing BPV installed which replaced the Boomba Racing BOV that the previous owner had installed.

However, after replacing the BR BPV with the stock Type R BPV there is no more of a turbo flutter noise that personally I enjoyed. I looked it up here and it says that turbo flutter is "doing nothing good for your turbocharger performance or reliability."

I haven't been able to find much about the BR BPV other than someone named DRob saying that it causes "overboost" due to differing spring pressures and should therefore not run the BR BPV. Not sure what overboost is (maybe someone can enlighten me), but then, there are other posts saying that since it is a BPV regardless, it should run fine with the BR BPV. Not sure what to believe so was wondering if someone who is knowledgeable in these matters could chime in.

FlexRex

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX and M5
Country flag
Did you happen to log IATs with stock intake filter setup? If so, how does it compare to the CAI you have now.

OP
OP

OhMyItsKev

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did you happen to log IATs with stock intake filter setup? If so, how does it compare to the CAI you have now.
Unfortunately not. I bought the car used and it came with an Injen SRI.

86salmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I haven't been able to find much about the BR BPV other than someone named DRob saying that it causes "overboost" due to differing spring pressures and should therefore not run the BR BPV
Drob is of the top tuners for this platform. He wrote TSP tunes and bench tested a couple of the drop in turbo solutions. Not much more of a knowledgeable person to chime in than him

OP
OP

OhMyItsKev

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Drob is of the top tuners for this platform. He wrote TSP tunes and bench tested a couple of the drop in turbo solutions. Not much more of a knowledgeable person to chime in than him
Guess I will leave the stock BPV on then.

RehabJP

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stoneautotech.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Wondering the same thing been debating putting a tune on my 2020 Si but then I hear a lot a people say that with the stock clutch its gonna slip so you need to upgrade to single mass flywheel and performance clutch and and then you need to upgrade the intercooler to handle the increased boost.

Basically I am thinking if you plan on keeping the car bone stock or like me you do not have a ton of money to throw at aftermarket parts then $600 for the KTuner V2 not sure I would do it. I kinda want to but I would be bummed to spend that money and get little to no difference from factory tune.

That being said I still want to make my Honda my own so I have done small mods like performance shift cable bushings, shift knob and I may throw that short shifter kit in down the line if I do not get my CTR that I am hoping to.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
There have been very few reports of clutch issues with base KTuner and Hondata tunes. There has been some with the more powerful TSP tune, but many people still run the stock clutch successfully with that tune. An intercooler upgrade is absolutely not required in a daily driver. It's a nice plus though for lowering IATs.

With KTuner's 3 on the fly maps you can choose your own boost levels and tweaks. From mild to wild. Heck, you could just leave boost close to stock if you want and just tweak throttle and turbo responsiveness. Or just remove rev hang. Or remove the top speed limiter.

Throwing out another fun fact: A good majority of tuned Civics are running great with absolutely no bolt ons added whatsoever.

Tuning isn't only about pure power, it's about better driveability. I'm a big fan. And it definitely transforms the car.

Last edited:

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
With KTuner's 3 on the fly maps you can choose your own boost levels and tweaks. From mild to wild. Heck, you could just leave boost close to stock if you want and just tweak throttle and turbo responsiveness. Or just remove rev hang. Or remove the top speed limiter.
Can "Rev Hang" be disabled using standard Honda Tool coding? Or is it tied with a tune? I'm wondering if I ask nicely enough, a honda dealership could remove it?

Mintmoney15

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic hatchback sport
Country flag
So I have Ktuner with TSP tune running. Immediately I thought that the tune made the car feel different... more "peppier." However, I raced a family member with a stock civic LX hatch from 0-60 and it was pretty dead even. We are both CVTs.

Anyone else experience something like this?
I’m a stick shift so maybe it’s different but I have raced other stick civics and I gap them by a car+ quite easily.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Can "Rev Hang" be disabled using standard Honda Tool coding? Or is it tied with a tune? I'm wondering if I ask nicely enough, a honda dealership could remove it?
Not happening. :cool: It's an emissions related "feature".
Sponsored