Does it seem like there are a lot of short term owners?

gxl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R PMM
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm one of those people y'all are talking about that the Type R got new car enthusiasts. Saw that thing and really wanted to get one, researched and all that. Circumstances led me to being in a Si first, but ended up in the Type R. It's my only car, daily-ing it, and hauling stuff with it, etc. Realistically, I don't see myself tracking it; maybe if I decide and budget for another set of wheels.

I'm sure the initial hype from the car is a good portion of why there were so many short term owners. For me, it's what sparked an interest into cars and made me want to learn how to drive a manual car. It's a really good balanced car for me lifestyle. There's definitely some tradeoffs but I personally find it acceptable. I'm guessing several people did not. Which i'm fine with because mine is a used CTR. And they even ppf'd the front for me, how nice :love:
Sponsored

Setanta

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 CRX, 99 Integra Type R, MY19 FK8
Country flag
Agile... agile is the word I'm looking for. Fast is fun, agile is more fun. The Civic is the former. The Yaris GR is the latter by comparison. If only the Yaris was practical as well.

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
Agile... agile is the word I'm looking for. Fast is fun, agile is more fun. The Civic is the former. The Yaris GR is the latter by comparison. If only the Yaris was practical as well.
I think its all relative to the times though. As agile as an ITR or S2K? Of course not.....but those cars were made over 2 decades ago and serve a completely different purpose. Also, 2 door cars like the Yaris GR, ND miata, and BRZ aren't competitors to a big 4 door CTR, both in practicality and performance.

In relative terms, I would say it is pretty agile for what it is, especially when compared to its competitors (including those upmarket). I can easily kick the back end out and maintain complete control, in a 300hp FWD hot hatch ? newer STIs and Golf Rs are nowhere near as agile. I haven't been behind the wheel of an M2 but have heard the same about that.

You do need to be going somewhat quick to really get that feedback but that's sort of true with most good handling performance cars nowadays.

Purple Drink

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2007 Subaru STI, 1965 El Camino
Country flag
I am only selling mine because I want the new 2022 Z06.... can you blame me?

The CTR is a awesome car. Yes, I've dumped over 16-20k in the car for modifications to get it to a respectable power level. But its what I do with all my cars. I like personalizing things and pushing the limits. And if anyone says it cant be done .... well then 'Challenge Accepted'.

I am happy with the CTR and if it never sells it is more than welcome to stay in my garage forever. But if it does sell, I hope the next owner will take care of it and enjoy it as much as I have.

Saablife

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I think my first question is, how many people on this thread saying it feels to nunb drive in R+? I drive mine 100% in R mode, I drive it hard, and spirited and have had zero issues or problems and find it to be very firm and detailed. I love this car! I daily it and it's able to do everything it's designed to do. I can get 35mpg on the highway, and then drop a gear and smash 90% of the vehicles on the road. I will admit the exhaust is too quiet, and the tires screwed me, but with a set of rims and maybe a custom dyno tune? This things a beast. I do agree you have to push it really hard to get it to feel like a go cart, or that it is agile. If you want to feel like that, then get a GTI, or a regular Si, which aren't designed to be pushed as hard. This car is designed to take 90 degree corners over 60mphs and stay above 60mph around the ring.

I will also add that the reason these seem to be getting sold a ton is because a lot of people who initially bought them, couldn't afford them and they got repossessed. Hence all the 3k mile used ones out there! This is a car that a lot of people didn't know what to expect. Either they wanted it to be like the Si, peppy and chuckable, or like an M3, fast and hardened. This is a track car first and it does exactly as it's supposed to, hence why I love it.

Deleted member 47337

I don't know if I'm the only one who notices these things... but it seems like there are quite a few people who sell their Type R's that are only a few months old, and low miles.
What do you attribute that to? Is it just not a good fit for a daily driver? Do the ownership costs catch up? Bored? See another shiny object to chase?

I'm curious if anyone else senses this?
Definitely a mix of all of the above.

What I've personally seen:

- People buy the car and within a few months of driving in traffic (if they live in the city) they quickly realize it's not that fun anymore. I live in a very rural area, so it's completely different. I absolutely love driving it around, because I'm always enjoying beautiful back-country roads.

- Some people live in a cold climate or in a place where winters are pretty cold (in temp), and they can't afford to replace the wheels and tires on the car. It's unfortunate, but there are a lot of folks (especially now) that live paycheck to paycheck. If they have a monthly payment on the car, it's hard for some people to afford the necessities of keeping a car like the Type R. That extra expense is just something they can't handle at that moment.

- I've also seen people do some mods thinking they know more than Honda Engineers, screw things up, and regret them later on. Then, they can't afford to or don't have time to remove those aftermarket parts and convert the car back to its original condition. So, they trade it in for another car...usually an automatic.

- Last but not least, the payment. A lot of people buy the car thinking they're good on the payment, and then realize that the 30 day mark comes around much quicker than they expected.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Lots of reasons people sell cars..no car is immune. Doesn't mean they didn't like it. As for the CTR being fun...
you can certainly have fun in this car.
The real test of my feelings was this morning. I work remotely but needed to make a 70 mile round trip to the office today- and was thrilled that I got to do so. And the response when passing on the freeway, or taking a long curving merge still puts a smile on my face. This is a keeper for me. I thank the first owner for selling this low mile 2018 CTR last spring so I could get one at a reasonable price. I was never going to pay $ 45K or more.
Not even tempted to trade it for a new 'improved' 2020 or 2021. The limits of the car are my skill, safety considerations and traffic laws. Another car will not change any of that. Besides. There's always mods. But bone stock this is already insanely capable.

Deleted member 47337

Lots of reasons people sell cars..no car is immune. Doesn't mean they didn't like it. As for the CTR being fun...
you can certainly have fun in this car.
The real test of my feelings was this morning. I work remotely but needed to make a 70 mile round trip to the office today- and was thrilled that I got to do so. And the response when passing on the freeway, or taking a long curving merge still puts a smile on my face. This is a keeper for me. I thank the first owner for selling this low mile 2018 CTR last spring so I could get one at a reasonable price. I was never going to pay $ 45K or more.
Not even tempted to trade it for a new 'improved' 2020 or 2021. The limits of the car are my skill, safety considerations and traffic laws. Another car will not change any of that. Besides. There's always mods. But bone stock this is already insanely capable.
Agree with you 100%.

The Type R is fun as hell. The more you drive it and fine tune your driving, you enjoy it even more.

Drive in good health y'all!

jasenkent

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
There is a dealer in my area who has 3 Type R's.

They had marked up the price on 2 of them to $48k and 1 of them to $46.

They emailed me today letting me know they were dropping the price on all 3 of them by $4k.

Maybe the tide is turning somewhat on the desirability of these cars?

Personally, I've been trying to get a Type R for a couple of years, but now I don't have that "burning" desire to get one. Plus, it will be sooner than we realize that Honda will release the 11th gen Type R.

I'm at a point where I might rather wait for the 11th gen than trying to get a good price on the current models.

Deleted member 47337

There is a dealer in my area who has 3 Type R's.

They had marked up the price on 2 of them to $48k and 1 of them to $46.

They emailed me today letting me know they were dropping the price on all 3 of them by $4k.

Maybe the tide is turning somewhat on the desirability of these cars?

Personally, I've been trying to get a Type R for a couple of years, but now I don't have that "burning" desire to get one. Plus, it will be sooner than we realize that Honda will release the 11th gen Type R.

I'm at a point where I might rather wait for the 11th gen than trying to get a good price on the current models.
Hey bud,

I honestly wouldn't wait to get one. These cars are just so capable and feel amazing on the road. I can't image not having mine.

The next generation will definitely have a slight upgrade..or not. It may just have a slight change in aesthetics. I doubt it will be significantly different than what we have now. My 2021 Type R already has an enormous amount of power, forged pistons, forged connecting rods, forged crankshaft all from factory..and the best 6 speed H pattern shifter I've seen in a modern car. I don't know how much better they can make it, but it's really good as it is.

If the car becomes more than 50K with taxes and registration/license fee...I would pass, even though the car is worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:

GTWaggin'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sonic Gray Type R
Country flag
Expectations. I wanted a true sport utility vehicle, a hatch, or wagon, with good road manners. I gave up my year long search for a Volvo V60 R-Design/Polestar 6 cylinder. The Civic was not on my radar until I happened on some good reviews. I got a great deal on mine, well within my budget. It can be truly thrilling to drive. And, it can carry my bikes, music gear, etc. (The Volvo's had horrible automatic trannys too). I don't even notice the cheap ugly interior anymore. I'd love to give it to my son in a few years.

Deleted member 47337

I *like* my FK8, but I don't love it. 7000km into ownership and it has dashboard/tweeter rattles and buzzes, absolutely shithouse thin paint, and while fast, is nowhere near as much fun as my DC2R and DOHC CRX. It handles better, but it just isn't as much fun to drive, feels fragile and less chuckable.

It's a great car, and the last gasp of Honda IC engined cars, but they did things so much better in the 80s and 90s.
Agree with you on the paint...haha. Razor thin...all in the name of "saving weight". ;)

If it felt a bit more rugged as far as the clutch weight, and stronger shifter from factory, it would be perfect....but all that can be change later on.
Sponsored