Does it seem like there are a lot of short term owners?

princeRS

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
That's kind of my point, if it was a good daily driver then wouldn't you want to drive it every day? There doesn't seem to be as much holding back Golf R and STI drivers from wanting to drive their car more frequently.
the R has potential to be a great daily, just seems like most of us have several vehicles & dont have a need to daily it. in terms of comparing it to a golf R, its incomparable (ive owned a mk5 & mk6, theyre boring as fuck). the STi is probably the worst daily of the 3 imo as the subaru feels and is cheap inside and ride harsh. i will say if the R didnt have a piece of shit tranny, id guess way more ppl wouldnt be selling them so early

OP
OP

1lastnerve

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR - Black
Country flag
I think the daily driveability and practicality of an R is one of it's biggest selling points. As much as I love mine, I would not buy it as a weekend toy. Honda naturally had to make sacrifices to keep this car a useable 4 door Civic and under a certain price, something a purpose built sports car doesn't suffer from as the driving experience takes priority over any practicality.

In the $40-50K range for a Honda enthusiast, an S2KCR, ITR, and the original NSX (for a bit more) are better fun weekend toy options imo.

As a reliable comfortable daily? I bought an R for a reason! I couldn't justify anything even close in price, both new and used, that competed with it. In fact, I can't see what I would even replace it with down the road with manuals continuing to disappear and rumors of a hybrid or heavier AWD CTR for the next gen.....no thanks, this is the perfect daily for me that isn't a 997 GT3 that I would end up not DDing anyway.
I agree with you. I went through the same decision process when I bought mine. There isn't anything else that would be as much fun to drive and still be able to make the trips to Lowes as needed. My 100lb chocolate lab is very comfortable in back with the seats folded down.

Speaking of $40-50K range Honda toys... did you see the 985 mile S2K CR sold last week on bringatrailer.com for $112K YIKES!!! :eek:

985-Mile 2009 Honda S2000 CR for sale on BaT Auctions - sold for $112,111 on February 17, 2021 (Lot #43,304) | Bring a Trailer

TYPRTY

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R LE
Country flag
$112K For an S2000 ?

OP
OP

1lastnerve

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR - Black
Country flag
$112K For an S2000 ?
Kinda' makes you want to park the LE and store it? LOL

Probably not, but who knows? That sale price for the CR was equivalent to a 15% annual return for the money spent, less storage and insurance costs. A fine investment for sure, but imho not worth the hassle. You can invest in the stock market and come close to that return and not have the risk of a car sitting in a warehouse with questions about future value

samji

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 1996 Accord V6 EX-L
Country flag
The car generated a ton of hype. There were always going to be many people who bought it due to said hype, then realized the car wasn't what they're looking for. If they didn't come from something like an STi, Focus RS, older Hondas etc I can imagine this car not being someone's cup of tea compared to like an M3.
I think you hit the main point. Lots of people purchased this (me included) sight unseen due to the hype. I think high turnover is normal with higher performance cars in general but honestly, I don't think I've seen such a big surge of new enthusiasts with other car launches before. This is evident with the countless number of "first time manual driver" and threads alike.

Even when I bought my S2000 back in 2007, the people purchasing these cars were mostly (from what I recall at least) car guys from the get go. It wasn't their first rodeo owning a sports car.

I think overall, and this applies to almost any car, if the reason you're purchasing a car is for validation, flex, for the gram, clout, etc, Once the novelty dies off, you're going to have a hard time trying to justify a 40k purchase, and being a Honda at that lol. At least with an M3 or any other european luxury car, they can get validation from normal people who don't know/care about cars.

And to be completely frank and not to be sound gatekeepy or anything, but if driving or simply enjoying the car for what it is aren't key selling points for the car, I'm not sure what else the car can offer you that other cars can't ... If you take away those two things, it's literally just a more uncomfortable civic that gets worse gas mileage and harsh ride. Im guessing a lot of those owners who sold their cars early that made this realization lol

samji

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 1996 Accord V6 EX-L
Country flag
Kinda' makes you want to park the LE and store it? LOL

Probably not, but who knows? That sale price for the CR was equivalent to a 15% annual return for the money spent, less storage and insurance costs. A fine investment for sure, but imho not worth the hassle. You can invest in the stock market and come close to that return and not have the risk of a car sitting in a warehouse with questions about future value

I think more people need to understand this lol.

Even rare cars that fetch a lot of money aren't really great investments in the grand scheme of things. I think short of super/hyper cars, you can grow your money elsewhere a lot faster than buying a 1 off car and storing it. I know so many dudes that want to buy up a supra, RX-7, NSX, GTR (any of the nostalgia legend cars) as an "investment" so they can store it and sell it for more later. Unless you have a personal reason as to why you want to own one of those cars, theres so much better ways of investing your money.

By the time it reaches an ROI where it's a substantial amount, I don't think you'd be alive ..

Nightshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2020
Country flag
the R has potential to be a great daily, just seems like most of us have several vehicles & dont have a need to daily it. in terms of comparing it to a golf R, its incomparable (ive owned a mk5 & mk6, theyre boring as fuck). the STi is probably the worst daily of the 3 imo as the subaru feels and is cheap inside and ride harsh. i will say if the R didnt have a piece of shit tranny, id guess way more ppl wouldnt be selling them so early
The right driver can make almost any car exciting... Also... as a daily driver... we seem to be overlooking the fact that this particular car (Type R) is becoming more & more popular on the car theft rings list these days. Nigerian gangs e.g., working in California boosting cars to ship them overseas (Africa & Middle East) and get a much much higher price after they been through the legalization mill. We had an enlisted guys Type R taken from him at gun point at a Shell Station off I-15 in North County San Diego. Just mentioning that you're attracting unwanted attention driving this car, not for parts value like Toyota trucks..., but value as a whole overseas. Russian gangs, Nigerians, Mexican... you name it... it's big money! I speak 5 languages and lived in a few countries (Russia, Germany & US) to witness some of what's going on first hand. I'm waiting to get flamed for this post as usual... LOL!

princeRS

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
The right driver can make almost any car exciting... Also... as a daily driver... we seem to be overlooking the fact that this particular car (Type R) is becoming more & more popular on the car theft rings list these days. Nigerian gangs e.g., working in California boosting cars to ship them overseas (Africa & Middle East) and get a much much higher price after they been through the legalization mill. We had an enlisted guys Type R taken from him at gun point at a Shell Station off I-15 in North County San Diego. Just mentioning that you're attracting unwanted attention driving this car, not for parts value like Toyota trucks..., but value as a whole overseas. Russian gangs, Nigerians, Mexican... you name it... it's big money! I speak 5 languages and lived in a few countries (Russia, Germany & US) to witness some of what's going on first hand. I'm waiting to get flamed for this post as usual... LOL!
i own a home in the bay area, theres a reason i keep / bought my R here in charlotte lol

R-36276

First Name
Milo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
I bought my R to drive mainly on good weather days and mainly on weekends. I use my truck as a daily, as I don't mind if that gets beat up. I would drive it daily if roads were better and they were less distracted drivers on the road here, but everyone seems to love being on their cell phones while driving.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
This just indicates that California is further deterioriating into a third world country more than anything. How sad.

Setanta

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 CRX, 99 Integra Type R, MY19 FK8
Country flag
I *like* my FK8, but I don't love it. 7000km into ownership and it has dashboard/tweeter rattles and buzzes, absolutely shithouse thin paint, and while fast, is nowhere near as much fun as my DC2R and DOHC CRX. It handles better, but it just isn't as much fun to drive, feels fragile and less chuckable.

It's a great car, and the last gasp of Honda IC engined cars, but they did things so much better in the 80s and 90s.
Sponsored