Does it seem like there are a lot of short term owners?

Nightshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2020
Country flag
...why not just look at a boost blue with black roof?
See how his car looks in BB in the current ambient conditions ;). Yes I'm sure we all know that dude... We saw one here in Rancho Santa Margarita Honda (no black roof obviously...) and they want 10k over MSRP LOL! I'm sure someone will eventually pay that though around here... :p
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

1lastnerve

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR - Black
Country flag
I used to own a Jeep Wrangler, and I had the same suspicions about Wranglers. Wranglers are immensely popular, super capable, and super fun vehicles to have. You can easily mod them to your hearts content. And they hold their value well. But living with one day in and day out is just not comfortable. They're not optimal for being your only vehicle, unless you really utilize the trail riding aspect of them every weekend.

I kind of get that sense with the Type R. It's a great car to drive, but some aspects of it just make it uncomfortable for day in / day out only car in the garage.

Last edited:

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I used to own a Jeep Wrangler, and I had the same suspicions about Wranglers. Wranglers are immensely popular, super capable, and super fun vehicles to have. You can easily mod them to your hearts content. And they hold their value well. But living with one day in and day out is just not comfortable. They're not optimal for being your only vehicle, unless you really utilize the trail riding aspect of them every weekend.

I kind of get that sense with the Type R. It's a great car to drive, but some aspects of it just make it uncomfortable for day in / day out only car in the garage.
Hit the nail on the head. The Type R is an amazing car, but it wasn't right for me at the time I got rid of it. I don't regret trading it in. I do miss it sometimes though!

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I get the impression that the Type R isn't a great daily driver. Most of the used ones that I see for sale have very low mileage, noticeably lower than a Golf R or STI of the same model year. It seems like the typical Type R owner doesn't actually drive their car very much.

Ultimateone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STI
Country flag
The Type R is an amazing daily driver. Anytime you have unique sports cars like the STI or Type R you always see people trading in early it's just the way it is. I'm enjoying the CTR as my daily and this is coming from someone whose owned an M2 and GR Supra and a million other cars.

chattanoogaR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Stinger
Country flag
I get the impression that the Type R isn't a great daily driver. Most of the used ones that I see for sale have very low mileage, noticeably lower than a Golf R or STI of the same model year. It seems like the typical Type R owner doesn't actually drive their car very much.
Or, it could be that a good number of us have multiple other vehicles and don't need to daily drive it.

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Or, it could be that a good number of us have multiple other vehicles and don't need to daily drive it.
That's kind of my point, if it was a good daily driver then wouldn't you want to drive it every day? There doesn't seem to be as much holding back Golf R and STI drivers from wanting to drive their car more frequently.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Lol what? I'd love to drive this thing daily even in traffic.

epryor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 RR CTR, ‘16 Audi Q5
Country flag
My R has been my daily for 2 years. FBO, wheels, cosmetics, etc.

For my preference, it checks all the boxes. Comfortable, quick when I need to be, manual, can actually transport larger things. I’ve even tried other cars once I got an itch to move on (Supra, M2C, RS3) and nothing has given me the same feeling. YMMV obviously as we all have certain criteria, but for buying the car sight unseen, I’m pretty content...for now.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I believe the Type R is a great daily driver on 18’s. Convenient, practical, seats 4. (5 in a pinch). Rear seats fold down for storage when needed and drives like a race car on the track or on curvy roads.

First year of ownership drove about 24k
2nd year dropped to 16k, including (8) track days.

My goal is to drive it less daily however.

Reasons are:
  • Keep odometer mileage within reason.
  • My old Honda gets better gas mileage and uses cheaper gas.
  • Conserve fast wearing performance tires: A052
  • After experiencing the car at the track and going all out, it’s kinda weird driving around town or on the freeway and having to keep things in check. ?
That said it’s a long term keeper for me ;)

That's kind of my point, if it was a good daily driver then wouldn't you want to drive it every day? There doesn't seem to be as much holding back Golf R and STI drivers from wanting to drive their car more frequently.

Last edited:

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
If I had a daily drive, I would certainly take my R. But the walk to my garage is about the same distance as to my office.

TYPRTY

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R LE
Country flag
My new LE is a 3rd vehicle...so it will only be used on nice sunny days or weekends when I’m not working...it’s really just an extra “toy” for me...I have always been a fan of Honda...and as a collector of many other things...especially with low and limited productions ?

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
I think the daily driveability and practicality of an R is one of it's biggest selling points. As much as I love mine, I would not buy it as a weekend toy. Honda naturally had to make sacrifices to keep this car a useable 4 door Civic and under a certain price, something a purpose built sports car doesn't suffer from as the driving experience takes priority over any practicality.

In the $40-50K range for a Honda enthusiast, an S2KCR, ITR, and the original NSX (for a bit more) are better fun weekend toy options imo.

As a reliable comfortable daily? I bought an R for a reason! I couldn't justify anything even close in price, both new and used, that competed with it. In fact, I can't see what I would even replace it with down the road with manuals continuing to disappear and rumors of a hybrid or heavier AWD CTR for the next gen.....no thanks, this is the perfect daily for me that isn't a 997 GT3 that I would end up not DDing anyway.

Litfuse

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered CTR
Country flag
Besides the low profile tires, I see no reason why the type r can not be a daily driver. It’s comfortable, has remarkable space for storage and passengers and does fairly well with gas mileage.

chattanoogaR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Stinger
Country flag
I cannot drive 3 vehicles at once.
Sponsored