Does it seem like there are a lot of short term owners?

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
I mean. I'd barely consider that used tbh. Any other car. No way you've lost 50% value already.

Still 50k is not CAD msrp. 2020 MSRP was like 42 or something. I paid 47k otd with extra warranty and some extras.
MSRP was 45k

FK8CW2019

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
I myself had the Type R for about 1.5 years and since the new Lexus IS500 is coming out I will also have to let the Type R go lol

Nightshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2020
Country flag
I myself had the Type R for about 1.5 years and since the new Lexus IS500 is coming out I will also have to let the Type R go lol
Mustang GT for twice the price with less performance ;) Better still... Camaro LT1 :p You can bet you'll be paying $1000 for wheel locks, $3000 Paint Protection... all at the courtesy of the dealership $800 / hour labor rate (gotta make that MSRP markup legit in California anyway). If i had to go foreign rather than domestic (every new car is foreign these days)... probably go for a BMW m340i or an Audi RS3 at this price range. IS500 looks like a Kia Stinger GT with a modified front and rear.

Last edited:

FK8CW2019

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Mustang GT for twice the price with less performance ;) Better still... Camaro LT1 :p You can bet you'll be paying $1000 for wheel locks, $3000 Paint Protection... all at the courtesy of the dealership $800 / hour labor rate (gotta make that MSRP markup legit in California anyway). If i had to go foreign rather than domestic (every new car is foreign these days)... probably go for a BMW m340i or an Audi RS3 at this price range. IS500 looks like a Kia Stinger GT with a modified front and rear.
but you def get better reliability hands down.

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
Owned my R for a little over a year before getting rid of it, the fact that I could enjoy it for a year and sell it for almost exactly what I paid for it new was a factor. Although I do miss it from time to time I have no regrets selling it.
Did you happen to trade yours into one of the Prime Honda locations? I bet the black CTR they let me test drive was yours lol

If having a manual wasn't an absolute must, this would be one of the few new cars I'd consider alongside the R, assuming the MSRP isn't unreasonable for what it is. Or preferably a full ISF model if they make one.......but no manual is a deal breaker for me.

Still, a RELIABLE V8 Lexus product with over 400hp? Only after you've dealt with countless headaches with other brands in terms of powertrain reliability do you begin to appreciate the value in that factor.

Nightshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2020
Country flag
but you def get better reliability hands down.
True you can go on past track record of Toyota/Lexus, but the NEW Lexus IS500 didn't hit the battlefield yet... :) I don't care (ref. to my Type R) about performance based straight line racing... I'm more into track & canyon carvering.... But since someone mentioned performance in general, the latest Lexus IS350 was a major disappointment in that aspect not to mention that it performs like a 35k Sonata N Line overall -- pathetic effort for such an upscale brand. In addition, the IS500 (lexus stats) seems to perform no better than a Kia Stinger GT (not to mention 100k powertrain for the Stinger), but we'll see when it hits the streets. Since when does reliability go hand in hand with tuners these days anyway? Most void their warranties before they even bought the car ;) If you're buying a car solely on the reliability and performance second, you should get a G70. I may be wrong, but based on what I read, you don't sound like you keep cars for more than 3 years, so I wouldn't worry about reliability being the ultimate deciding factor here...:p I myself, get a new car every 6 months (except the Type R which is my 3rd car for tracking and tuning..). I do have some experience with several brands out there... including a Stinger GT :) LOL! MSRP markup (which may or may not happen) might have worked with the Type R, but I feel it's going to be a major deterrent for most who have their sights set on this particular car. I also have a 2021 M340i and overall, you get the best of everything... and that car is very quick if you want it to be (after a simple piggyback JB4 tune and E30 or reflash with e.g., Bootmod3) not to mention luxury, handling and safety. Getting 10-12% off MSRP and another 3000 in incentives isn't a shabby deal for such a car ;) For me reliability in the long run is the least of my concerns... but that's me. Like I said, I don't keep a car that long at all.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
True you can go on past track record of Toyota/Lexus, but the NEW Lexus IS500 didn't hit the battlefield yet... :) I don't care (ref. to my Type R) about performance based straight line racing... I'm more into track & canyon carvering.... But since someone mentioned performance in general, the latest Lexus IS350 was a major disappointment in that aspect not to mention that it performs like a 35k Sonata N Line overall -- pathetic effort for such an upscale brand. In addition, the IS500 (lexus stats) seems to perform no better than a Kia Stinger GT (not to mention 100k powertrain for the Stinger), but we'll see when it hits the streets. Since when does reliability go hand in hand with tuners these days anyway? Most void their warranties before they even bought the car ;) If you're buying a car solely on the reliability and performance second, you should get a G70. I may be wrong, but based on what I read, you don't sound like you keep cars for more than 3 years, so I wouldn't worry about reliability being the ultimate deciding factor here...:p I myself, get a new car every 6 months (except the Type R which is my 3rd car for tracking and tuning..). I do have some experience with several brands out there... including a Stinger GT :) LOL! MSRP markup (which may or may not happen) might have worked with the Type R, but I feel it's going to be a major deterrent for most who have their sights set on this particular car. I also have a 2021 M340i and overall, you get the best of everything... and that car is very quick if you want it to be (after a simple piggyback JB4 tune and E30 or reflash with e.g., Bootmod3) not to mention luxury, handling and safety. Getting 10-12% off MSRP and another 3000 in incentives isn't a shabby deal for such a car ;) For me reliability in the long run is the least of my concerns... but that's me. Like I said, I don't keep a car that long at all.
The Stinger nor the IS 500 are set up as track cars. I don't think that was every their intent. Rather they were set up to be cars that are simply fun and engaging to drive. Neither of them are really set up for great straight line performance either. I know for sure that none of Lexus' F cars aren't designed to make peak performance or be top of its class, but instead focus on engaging the driver's senses.

Nightshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2020
Country flag
one day people will realize that there are people out there that care about things other than just performance.
Hmmm... let's see... Type R, 370 Z (Nismo... had a GT-R myself), ILX(this must be your reliable car... that come with a tune as well?)... yeah you sound like overall performance isn't your main concern ;) Since the Type R section falls more into the performance arena then any other aspect, I was staying within that domain.

Nightshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2020
Country flag
The Stinger nor the IS 500 are set up as track cars. I don't think that was every their intent. Rather they were set up to be cars that are simply fun and engaging to drive. Neither of them are really set up for great straight line performance either. I know for sure that none of Lexus' F cars aren't designed to make peak performance or be top of its class, but instead focus on engaging the driver's senses.
True, it's in the luxury sports sedan column :) but... the m340i i can take to the track... incredible performance overall with the luxury not to mention most likely cheaper... but we haven't determined the price of the IS500 yet ;) IS500 doesn't scream "IS F!" Instead, it's a page taken from the playbooks of BMW and Audi, which have long offered such midgrade performance models.
Sponsored

Last edited: