Does it seem like there are a lot of short term owners?

slow_delsol

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
A lot car of dealerships will also approve financing for just about anyone that can afford the bare minimum payment over 84 months. Life happens, unexpected bills come up, and suddenly the CTR is the first bill on the chopping block. There are a lot of other cars one could have that are much more affordable and practical then a CTR. The pandemic certainly contributed to some people’s impulse to buy something to keep them busy only later to find it’s not worth the financial Burden.

In Canada right now you can’t find a single new CTR anywhere. If a new one is en route to a dealer it’s usually purchased before it hits the lot(with another half dozen people waiting in line if the first buyer flakes out) At any given time you can find between 10-20 used ones with very low mileage asking damn near MSRP. If my back order for a 2021 falls through I will definitely be looking at used.
Sponsored

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
A lot car of dealerships will also approve financing for just about anyone that can afford the bare minimum payment over 84 months. Life happens, unexpected bills come up, and suddenly the CTR is the first bill on the chopping block. There are a lot of other cars one could have that are much more affordable and practical then a CTR. The pandemic certainly contributed to some people’s impulse to buy something to keep them busy only later to find it’s not worth the financial Burden.

In Canada right now you can’t find a single new CTR anywhere. If a new one is en route to a dealer it’s usually purchased before it hits the lot(with another half dozen people waiting in line if the first buyer flakes out) At any given time you can find between 10-20 used ones with very low mileage asking damn near MSRP. If my back order for a 2021 falls through I will definitely be looking at used.
Must resist temptation to sell mine at 50k cad.....

Litfuse

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered CTR
Country flag
This car has many ups......

But....it has a lot of downs too.
But you pointed out the downs very well, I don't just feel you but I FEEL you.

Lets just say I have an Old and I mean Old Mazdaspeed 6 and that car feels more durable and sport like than the Type R.

I am not saying the Type R is bad in fact its one of the best cars I have ever owned, but i understand the hype and expectation and why people would want to get out of this car. Plus the pricetag....this car is a $32K car not an almost $40K car in my eyes.

It could be because of the difference between FWD and AWD that makes a difference. This car (type R) feels fragile, like we have to baby it..you cant throw it in corners with confidence due to Tires and hitting a pothole to ruin your day..(easy fix). Notchy transmission...(Mazdaspeed6 didn't have this) and a couple of other things that make this car feel cheap interior wise.

Honda can do better than this....i also believe the car should've been built and tested in Japan.
I owned a new 2006 MazdaSpeed for a little while. It never spoke to me. It was a Mazda that didn’t have the Mazda feel.
I have difficulty enjoying most new cars today (post 2010). I sound like an old man, but all the integrated technology and desire to remove NVH has made cars more utilitarian than sport/hobby. Of course, this is what buyers have asked for...in SUVs, minivans and sedans. I don’t want it in my go to fun cars. My only option is to buy older cars, but I lived the life of fixing my stuff on the weekends and I just don’t want to spend my time like that anymore.

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
The car generated a ton of hype. There were always going to be many people who bought it due to said hype, then realized the car wasn't what they're looking for. If they didn't come from something like an STi, Focus RS, older Hondas etc I can imagine this car not being someone's cup of tea compared to like an M3.
This right here. I think a lot of people did get caught in the hype only to find the CTR isn’t what they were expecting.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I bought my CTR new at the beginning of January. Due to weather, I have been limited to the amount of time I can drive the car (only about 600 miles so far). I will say I am disappointed with the car. It is rather numb and sterile in character, besides its exterior styling. I find it to be too refined. I can also see how this could be a positive for some and why the car has so much love. As mentioned above, there is a lot of hype around the car, and I too may have been blindsided. I would be getting rid of the car if I purchased it as a fun weekend toy. However, I got it as a daily driver to supplement my truck as a daily driver. Because of this, I’m going to give it more time so I can make a better assessment of the car. So far, I would say that remarkable performance numbers don’t always translate to fun.
You need to find some road you're familiar with and really get into it - you're not pushing hard enough if this is your takeaway lol. Good luck and everyone different but to say this is numb for a car driving normally feels weird to me. Long history of performance cars and I rank this among the top.

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Look at the economy bud lot of dreams crushed and people have to sell. Also some number of people may get tired of a stickshift if they have a high traffic area etc..

Tough times for a lot of people imo

@Shred disagree - I have an M2 as well as the Type R and I think I'd take the Type R if I had to choose one lol It's a great car!
Oh for sure, the Type R is a great car and 10/10 times I'm picking it over the current BMW lineup.

Not everyone will feel the same though, some might want a more luxury feel or brute off the line power, and the Type R doesn't deliver that. The Type R isn't old school raw, but to call it refined is probably a stretch. That disconnect might be why some people also move on- too raw for some, too docile for some once they give the car a go.

chattanoogaR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Stinger
Country flag
You need to find some road you're familiar with and really get into it - you're not pushing hard enough if this is your takeaway lol. Good luck and everyone different but to say this is numb for a car driving normally feels weird to me. Long history of performance cars and I rank this among the top.
You and I have been on just about every forum together over the years, we just happen to buy a lot of the same vehicles. (I sincerely doubt there are other NapalmEnema's out there) Coincidentally, we usually tend to agree on aspects about a particular performance vehicle.

Just because the car has a more than compliant ride, in no way means it's driving characteristics are "numb". If you've owned/driven tons of performance oriented vehicles, it's hard to find things to hate about the R.

Litfuse

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered CTR
Country flag
Being still in the break in process, I haven’t run it through its paces. Once I do, it will help with my decision to keep it or move on. I don’t doubt its performance for its category. I think if anything, the car’s performance numbers match those of much higher priced cars. Thus, the root of the hype. It’s difficult for a car like the CTR, where it has to be two things at once. “Track weapon” and daily driver. Compromises were made and efforts were put forth to make the car more refined, within a price point.

I have owned many cars and fortunate enough to have the means to track several of them. I look forward to learning more about the car to see if it fits my driving style. There is no doubt it fits my driving needs.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I can envision the car possibly getting boring after a little while in stock form.

For the car to ignite the soul I’m of the notion the R benefits the following mods:
  • 18’s with good street/track tires
  • Intercooler
  • RMM
  • Acuity full shifter + cable bushings (or Hybrid)
  • Cooling mods
  • Valved exhaust
  • Downpipe
  • Frontpipe
  • Intake
  • Tune
  • Girodisc rotor and brake pads
But that quickly enters the $20-25k+ Mod zone (if DIY install) and becomes a $65k+ car. But it will be more raw and fun at the track :)

Last edited:

Litfuse

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered CTR
Country flag
You and I have been on just about every forum together over the years, we just happen to buy a lot of the same vehicles. (I sincerely doubt there are other NapalmEnema's out there) Coincidentally, we usually tend to agree on aspects about a particular performance vehicle.

Just because the car has a more than compliant ride, in no way means it's driving characteristics are "numb". If you've owned/driven tons of performance oriented vehicles, it's hard to find things to hate about the R.
I’m curious, what other cars have you owned? Please don’t take offense to my question. I’m truly interested in your perspective and of Napalm’s as well. I would like to see where you draw comparisons and how far or close my own experience are to yours. Thanks!

TypeRHelvetia

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
I think it's a lot of factors that ultimately fit into a lifestyle choice.

I know some are always the type to have a new vehicle every 1-2 years period. Others realize they don't drive it as much and are looking to get out of a car payment (esp since last year for lots of work from home transition). I saw owners realize they made the wrong choice and ended up needing a truck too.

And a good chunk of this car's demographics have growing families and realize their needs for a bigger vehicle warrants dropping the car.

Personally I plan on holding onto mine until I can't anymore.
My CTR is the first car I’ve owned where I know I’ll never sell it. I will drive it until it’s no longer economical to repair. I simply think it’s one of the greatest cars ever made. Simple, NOT connected to the internet, manual, light and powerful..... and most importantly it’s FUN to drive.

Chrisp1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Type R, 12' Mustang, 05' STI
Country flag
there many things and I think you guys have covered most..

but I can tell you "hype" is right up there, some drive the car and I'm assuming from the reviews and track videos had these super high expectations. Don't get me wrong the R meets most but some are people are just unrelastic..so instead of releasing that inner beast they just sell it..some aren't capable of modifying a car properly or just don't have the knowledge..and yes it takes money which leads to my next point...

TONS of these cars are financed and leased. I cant tell you how many ads I've seen on autotrader and kijiji stating lease or payment take over LOL..its obv the market that wants this car cant afford it so many flip hands.

The guys that really bought this car for themselves and knowing what it is are going to keep it like myself..and modifying it properly and tastefully the car is truly enjoyable to a whole different level!

chattanoogaR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Stinger
Country flag
I’m curious, what other cars have you owned? Please don’t take offense to my question. I’m truly interested in your perspective and of Napalm’s as well. I would like to see where you draw comparisons and how far or close my own experience are to yours. Thanks!
No worries at all, you could not possibly offend me don't worry. In the past 25 years I've owned the following:

Evo X
Evo IX
STI (04)
Focus RS
Focus ST
Audi S3
M235
M240
M2
M3 (e46)
Fiesta ST
Jeep SRT
Fiat Abarth
Several Si's
TL S
RSX S
Z06 (02)
SVT Focus (6 of these in total)
Lightning (93 and 99)
Cobra (98 and 04)
SVT Contour
S2000
Mazdaspeed Protege
GTI (03 and 14)
Golf R
C32
SLK320

Honestly, there are probably some I am forgetting. I buy and sell a ton of cars, it's my hobby. As you can probably guess, I have zero brand loyalty, and never feel that what is in my garage currently is the "best car ever made".

Litfuse

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered CTR
Country flag
No worries at all, you could not possibly offend me don't worry. In the past 25 years I've owned the following:

Evo X
Evo IX
STI (04)
Focus RS
Focus ST
Audi S3
M235
M240
M2
M3 (e46)
Fiesta ST
Jeep SRT
Fiat Abarth
Several Si's
TL S
RSX S
Z06 (02)
SVT Focus (6 of these in total)
Lightning (93 and 99)
Cobra (98 and 04)
SVT Contour
S2000
Mazdaspeed Protege
GTI (03 and 14)
Golf R
C32
SLK320

Honestly, there are probably some I am forgetting. I buy and sell a ton of cars, it's my hobby. As you can probably guess, I have zero brand loyalty, and never feel that what is in my garage currently is the "best car ever made".
You and I have shared many of the same cars: STI, Focus ST, S2000. (A great list of cars)

I’m finding that I like simplicity in my cars, and that is difficult to get these days. I look forward to bonding with my type r and understanding more of its potential, with when I’m just cruising or driving down one of my favorite backroads.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This. I feel the same exact way brother. :drive:

Finding out this car, with the right mods, can hang tough with the big boys at the track. The limiting factor really are my track experience and skill, which are slowly improving.

Maintenance and consumables are relatively inexpensive for this car. A DIY brake job may cost a few hundred for pads front and rear. Another $600 if need to swap front rotor discs.

My buddy Mario shared a full brake job on his 2017 Acura NSX costs $20k. Likely at a dealership, but still :oops:

Bang for the buck is very impressive with the Type R.

My CTR is the first car I’ve owned where I know I’ll never sell it. I will drive it until it’s no longer economical to repair. I simply think it’s one of the greatest cars ever made. Simple, NOT connected to the internet, manual, light and powerful..... and most importantly it’s FUN to drive.
Sponsored