Does it make any sense to bolt on before hondata?

Smellycat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
Country flag
I know it'll vary to each person what they want out of the mod.

I want a new exhaust but unsure without a tune I'll be flushing $ down the toilet.

I do want more grumble, but I want better flow through my vehicle if I can achieve that..
Sponsored

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
I know it'll vary to each person what they want out of the mod.

I want a new exhaust but unsure without a tune I'll be flushing $ down the toilet.

I do want more grumble, but I want better flow through my vehicle if I can achieve that..
flash pro before any mods is what i recommend

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
I've said this in many threads already.. Any performance mods should be tuned with flashpro. If you don't want the programmer do cosmetics and stuff like that. That's all you'll be able to do. Not sure why this is a thread. I don't see how anyone in the right mind would spend money on all these bolt ons (that won't do anything but make you car run poorly) and not spend the extra to tune it and perfect it, because without a tune you will get like zero gains and your car won't be running 100% like it should. Take this with a grain of salt. This is my opinion and I won't ever put a performance mod on my car unless I am planning to get tuned right after. I want my car to run as efficient as possible and a custom tune through someone knowledgeable will do just that.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Smellycat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
Country flag
You two are notable posters and I've learned quite a bit from the two of you since I got my civic 2 weeks ago. I decided to join and decided to make a post clarifying my question and I think you two got it in a nutshell.

It is simple and you are correct.

A stock car cannot learn the upgrades you throw on lol.

We can't just read and go act, I did want to ask to be sure and I take everything with a grain of salt but like you said.. tuning right after any new performance mod you get makes sense..

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
You two are notable posters and I've learned quite a bit from the two of you since I got my civic 2 weeks ago. I decided to join and decided to make a post clarifying my question and I think you two got it in a nutshell.

It is simple and you are correct.

A stock car cannot learn the upgrades you throw on lol.

We can't just read and go act, I did want to ask to be sure and I take everything with a grain of salt but like you said.. tuning right after any new performance mod you get makes sense..
It's alright, I didn't mean to sound like a dick head. That's why I said take with a grain of salt. But I see you want just a bit more sound? I would recommend something like magnaflow. Something close to Oem specs, just a catback would be alright to run for awhile. But that's if you really just want more sound and can't wait. But that's up to whoever. I wouldn't.

Ryude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Well you can put bolt ons, but the ECU should tune out any gains. It's pretty good about that. However, a tune will actually take advantage of the mods and allow them to actually do something.

So it won't necessarily hurt your engine, but it won't help it either.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
It's going to depend on the ECU parameters and whether they allow for ambient changes. The initial data suggests there's a bottleneck in the 1.5's resonator, and that an intake alone is good for a 10% gain with no other changes. We need more datalogging and dynos on the 6MT to be sure. But the results so far have been favorable along with other improvements like upgrading to 91/92 on the factory tune. This is consistent with my own experience on Mazda's turbo DI. Some platforms like VW and Subaru have ECU parameters that are so restrictive that any bolt-ons result in very little gains, as echoed by our members above.

I fully agree that a tune will make the most of any mods. Especially when operating outside Honda's measured parameters. But one has to be extremely careful with AFRs and timing. Any subtle change can result in premature carbing of the cylinders or unintended deposits on the runners/intake valves, as we've seen with some modded VWs.

At a bare minimum, whatever your take, don't go into modding blind. Get Torque/DC and at least do some basic datalogging (if not doing through Flashpro). My 2 cents...

Last edited:

Rican408

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EXT
I think it depends on how fast you plan on getting the FP. I find it to be a waste of money if you tune for stock first then have to retune after mods. I personally want an intake and exhaust for the sounds and smaller gains. I haven't seen a single post saying their car ran like shit without a tune. I'd run that for a bit. But if performance is what your after the obvious solution is FP. I want it all but can't afford it all at once.

OP
OP

Smellycat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
Country flag
I think it depends on how fast you plan on getting the FP. I find it to be a waste of money if you tune for stock first then have to retune after mods. I personally want an intake and exhaust for the sounds and smaller gains. I haven't seen a single post saying their car ran like shit without a tune. I'd run that for a bit. But if performance is what your after the obvious solution is FP. I want it all but can't afford it all at once.
You know what, I was exactly thinking this this morning.

The plan for today was to find the exact amount of torque the cvt can take with a minimal amount of mods and give an efficient output

Woah I'm tired. I meant would getting an exhaust and intake be overkill and useless as I'd be happy with am exhaust. An intake would come 2nd unless I'm not gonna get any torque out of it if my.limit is reached on the cvt already with the exhaust

Unless I'm misunderatanding this all haha

Last edited:

Rican408

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EXT
You know what, I was exactly thinking this this morning.

The plan for today was to find the exact amount of torque the cvt can take with a minimal amount of mods and give an efficient output

Woah I'm tired. I meant would getting an exhaust and intake be overkill and useless as I'd be happy with am exhaust. An intake would come 2nd unless I'm not gonna get any torque out of it if my.limit is reached on the cvt already with the exhaust

Unless I'm misunderatanding this all haha
Ya I also have a damn CVT . I think I'll do intake, exhaust (like a hidden magna flow nothing too loud), and a tune. The tune I would keep VERY mellow. Just keep the car happy with the intake and exhaust. I also am afraid now of too much torque for the CVT.

Hondata

Hondata
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hondata.com
Vehicle(s)
23' Type R,22' Civic Si,18' Accord 2.0T,17' FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I find it to be a waste of money if you tune for stock first then have to retune after mods.
You do not have to tune for stock first, and you do not have to retune afterwards. The base maps that come with the FlashPro for stock are very good. Custom tuning will always net a little more, but the base maps probably get you 90+% of the way.

If torque is a concern, run the +3psi MAP which gives you close to CRV boost.

Ryude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
That hasn't been my experience with previous flashpro base maps. Just my 2c.
Sponsored