does first and reverse lockout get better after break in?

Jay_Tech

First Name
Jarrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I personally have never experienced lockout in either of these gears but then again, I only use 1st when starting from a complete stop. If I'm slowing down, I will down shift to 2nd or 3rd then go to neutral. As for reverse I only ever attempt to shift into it when completely still. And it has never given me problems. I'm pretty sure it has a safety lockout where if you are travelling over a certain speed you cant get into it. And trying to shift into it while moving at all can cause damage to the gears.
Sponsored

20ABM06MT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
The reverse lockout will occur even when at a complete stop... the shift into 3rd then R trick mentioned in this thread has fixed it for me.

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
reverse gear will work with a idler gear and a sliding mesh. You can't put into R while rolling forward if you force it then you will get a loud thud sound because of sliding mesh as R gear will not use constant mesh by design on any car.

2020CivicSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
Someone said it already, but the car needs to be stopped before going into R. I've never had problems since I've owned my 2020.

When I first learned stick driving a few years ago, I had trouble getting the car into certain gears. I learned that it was just a matter of getting used to how the gearbox worked. Maybe the people who say that the car needs to be broken in just end up learning how to use it properly after awhile.

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
hi all,

read a few older threads about first and reverse gear lockout and folks being told to wait until car’s broken in (10k-20k miles, lol). was wondering if it got better for anyone with those miles or less.

i’m new to driving a stick and have about 500 miles on a 2020 si.

with that being said, i’ve experienced a few things:
- never been able to shift straight into reverse unless i shift into third gear first.
- my shifter getting stuck once somewhere between reverse and neutral where i has to finesse it for a hot minute until it popped back into neutral.
- being locked out of first gear moving around 3 mph. went to third and back to first again.

are a large majority of you not experiencing lockout or do you guys just shift from another gear to neutral?
Yeah, we've been through this before. For first gear, if it's locking you out, it's your fault. lol. If you put slight shifter pressure against 1st with the clutch disengaged, as the input shaft slows down to the proper speed, it will slip into gear like a c**k in a slick c**t without any extra effort (5kph).

For reverse, leave it in forward gear until you are completely stopped, then clutch, take it out of gear to Neural and slap it over and it should go down into Reverse NP.

If you're starting the car and moving it in reserve immediately after starting (like you just parked it at the store and now you're leaving kind of thing), do not release the clutch after starting. Slap the shifter right from Neutral and down into Reverse.

If you're idling in Neutral, clutch, wait 3-seconds, push the shifter from Neural to the far left (do not go into a gear), then push the shifter to the far right and down into Reverse. The 3-seconds is the time to allow the input shaft to slow down/stop spinning and moving the shifter over Neural helps prevent gear teeth from gnashing. Remember that synchromesh only works when the vehicle and the input shafter are moving, so forward gear/neutral to reverse is a simple matter of input shaft speed and gear alignment.
Sponsored

Last edited: