Does ethanol free gas make any difference?

Spade

First Name
Chandler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatch Sport (cvt)
Country flag
I have a few ethanol-free gas stations around my area and have noticed a slight increase in mpg while running e free gas (Pre Tune). Seems like some other people swear by it on the internet and say that it gives their car better gas mileage as well. I have not heard anyone claim anything about any power gains and I also have not noticed any difference there.

I have Ktuner with phearable stage 1.5 on my 2018 honda civic CVT. I just got the tune and my most recent fill-up was with shell 93. My knock control consistently stays around .49 to .52.

I will be testing to see if the knock c changes on my next fill-up with e free 93 oct gas. In my area the e free 93 octane at shell is cheaper than shell 93.

Anyone have any experience with this yet?
Sponsored

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Adding ethanol to your system will cause the ECU to add fuel to compensate via fuel trims. More injection time, less mpg.

chuenoona

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX, 2001 Acura CL Type-S
Country flag
93 octane non-ethanol has the same knock properties as E-10 93 octane.

Only benefit is you should gain 1-2 mpg in fuel economy, because the less the ethanol the better the fuel economy.
Your fuel trims will be off because modern cars are tuned to anticipate around 10-15% ethanol in today’s fuels....

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Si, 19 Accord 2.0T, 23 Type R
Country flag
Adding ethanol to your system will cause the ECU to add fuel to compensate via fuel trims. More injection time, less mpg.
Agreed. :thumbsup:

93 octane non-ethanol has the same knock properties as E-10 93 octane.

Only benefit is you should gain 1-2 mpg in fuel economy, because the less the ethanol the better the fuel economy.
Your fuel trims will be off because modern cars are tuned to anticipate around 10-15% ethanol in today’s fuels....
Disagreed. :thumbsdown:

You absolutely want ethanol in your fuel mixture with the 1.5T. Added ethanol (beyond 0%) does increase knock resistance. E10 / 10% is a great start, but most people that are going for more performance will further increase the ethanol percentage. 35-40% is the sweet spot. This of course requires an appropriate tune.

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Pretty sure non oxygenated fuel is illegal for highway use in nearly EVERY state.

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Not sure about that - you may be correct - but the only non-ethanol fuel I use is in my mower and small power equipment.
In most places that you can still find it it is labeled as "Agricultural Use Only"

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In most places that you can still find it it is labeled as "Agricultural Use Only"
Not in South Carolina. Why would it be? But yeah I use it for my small power equipment and marine applications. Not the Civic.
Sponsored