Does driving a 2020 Civic in Sport ECO use less power, or should ECO mode be turned off to get full power?

OliverS97

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Country flag
So in the cars I have driven in the past there is either ECO, Comfort, Normal, Dynamic, or Sport mode. In my 2020 Civic you can drive in "D" with ECO on or off, or "S" for Sport in ECO or no ECO.

Does ECO mode in Sport affect anything? I know it affects the A/C with ECO on. How about acceleration in Sport?
Sponsored

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
ECO does affect the power and torque bands as it shifts in a lower range range when in D. Response is less perky compared when ECO is turned off.

I noticed that in sport mode even when the ECO is turned on, powerband is the same with D when it is turned off.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
I *believe* that ECO changes the responsiveness of the accelerator pedal; tending to make it a bit smoother. I feel it as more of an average rather than an absolute response.

So far as I know; Sport creates a higher shift point, so to speak.

So I leave ECO on, ironically, to feel more in control of the input to the pedal. Whenever I try to feather on and off the accelerator in non-eco; the CVT just fights me the whole time. Eco smooths that out for me.

I pull it into Sport at a red light or similar when I wanna' accelerate quickly or I'm going uphill. Then I'll shift it to drive once I'm up to speed.

S60doc

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic HB Sport
Country flag
I'm driving manual transmission but even with manual i feel less power and torque. Specially these days. I mean summer times. So I don't use Eco Mode. When I got the car first I checked online what eco mode does? I found couple article says it's kinda assisting shifting with green LEDs. I don't believe that. It's also limit response time or power/torque.

OP
OP

OliverS97

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Country flag
I *believe* that ECO changes the responsiveness of the accelerator pedal; tending to make it a bit smoother. I feel it as more of an average rather than an absolute response.

So far as I know; Sport creates a higher shift point, so to speak.

So I leave ECO on, ironically, to feel more in control of the input to the pedal. Whenever I try to feather on and off the accelerator in non-eco; the CVT just fights me the whole time. Eco smooths that out for me.

I pull it into Sport at a red light or similar when I wanna' accelerate quickly or I'm going uphill. Then I'll shift it to drive once I'm up to speed.
Makes sense. Probably wanna put it into Sport mode if you have passengers of have a heavy load in the trunk!

ATM

First Name
ATM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Does it do any harm or excess ware if you daily drive in sport mode?

pewter

First Name
Kate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX Sedan
Country flag
When we bought ours last week, our dealer suggested Sport for red lights and snappiness but he figured we'd never use the "Low" ever

pewter

First Name
Kate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX Sedan
Country flag

Uh is that something I have to worry about? My wife and I share the car but it's mostly me driving. Not a feature anyone talked to us about anyway

Last edited: