does DOT 3 BRAKE FLUID have to be HONDA oem?

Snmtazz70

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
500HP 2019 Honda Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Just did mine. I used Bosch which is DOT 3-5. It feels better or maybe just in my head.

I started at the rear, furthest away. Manual I believe says start at front.

As long as you flush it good and no air is in the lines your good.
Sponsored

Nessism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Civic
Country flag
Just did mine. I used Bosch which is DOT 3-5. It feels better or maybe just in my head.

I started at the rear, furthest away. Manual I believe says start at front.

As long as you flush it good and no air is in the lines your good.
Huh, you are right. Manual says LF, RF, RR, LR, in sequence. Guess I did it wrong! Oh well.

Old F@rt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe, 2016 Z51 Stingray, 2006 Tundra
Country flag
Just finished a brake system flush today. Used cheap Prestone DOT 3 fluid, and a Motive Products brake pressurization system. I've done vacuum bleeding before but the pressure method worked better, in my opinion. I didn't fill the pressure system with fluid, I just used air to push the fluid, which saved on clean up time. Used three 12 oz bottles of fluid. Next time I'll get a little more, but three was okay. A very easy job. Only thing that would have made it easier is some colored fluid so I could have gauged when the fluid was fully flushed more easily.

Thinking about getting the Motive power bleeder. Did you get the universal (item # 0101)? Looks like I might be able to use it on our other cars, if so. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Nessism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Civic
Country flag
Thinking about getting the Motive power bleeder. Did you get the universal (item # 0101)? Looks like I might be able to use it on our other cars, if so. Thanks for any info you can provide.
I bought the 0090 pump, and an adapter cap from CTA Tools. To mate them, I used a piece of rubber hose and a couple of hose clamps. I bought the CTA cap because I couldn't confirm Motive had a cap that would work. Anyway, this setup worked like a dream! Fantastic.
Suggestion: use a turkey baster to suck out the fluid in your master, and dump it into your bleed container. I went crazy and bought the Motive container, which is cool because I didn't need to monkey around finding an old bottle of some sort. Anyway, after you suck out all the old fluid from the master and dump it in your bleed container, then draw a line on the side of the container, referencing a full load so to speak. Dump it out, start bleeding, but STOP short of this line in your container when bleeding, otherwise you will suck the reservoir dry. Of course, this assumes you do like I did and simply use the pump as an air pump. By the time you push a full reservoir's work of fluid through each corner, your lines and calipers should be good to go.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O6FZJFG

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MYXAXS5/

Old F@rt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe, 2016 Z51 Stingray, 2006 Tundra
Country flag
I bought the 0090 pump, and an adapter cap from CTA Tools. To mate them, I used a piece of rubber hose and a couple of hose clamps. I bought the CTA cap because I couldn't confirm Motive had a cap that would work. Anyway, this setup worked like a dream! Fantastic.
Suggestion: use a turkey baster to suck out the fluid in your master, and dump it into your bleed container. I went crazy and bought the Motive container, which is cool because I didn't need to monkey around finding an old bottle of some sort. Anyway, after you suck out all the old fluid from the master and dump it in your bleed container, then draw a line on the side of the container, referencing a full load so to speak. Dump it out, start bleeding, but STOP short of this line in your container when bleeding, otherwise you will suck the reservoir dry. Of course, this assumes you do like I did and simply use the pump as an air pump. By the time you push a full reservoir's work of fluid through each corner, your lines and calipers should be good to go.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O6FZJFG

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MYXAXS5/

Will look into both items & I'm not finding a Honda specific cap from Motive either. I think it is because of the tabs rather than a traditional screw cap for the master. Really appreciate all the info. Cheers

Methane Herder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
This is purely speculation but watching EricTheCarGuy he said while working for Acura he noticed the brake master cylinders having issues when they don't use OEM fluid. Take that for what you want but he was a long time master tech and he usually has good advice.
If the new, clean, out of bottle, fluid meets DOT 3 spec's (and Honda says use DOT 3) then it causes problems with Honda's system, that's Honda's fault.
If Honda makes up some spec and makes no reference to DOT 3, that is a different kettle of fish.

MH
Sponsored