Does anyone keep halogen bulbs?

MikeMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si
Country flag
Did you miss the part where testing at 12 feet basically invalidates all his results?

And his method of testing at random, undefined points gives nothing useful about how good a bulb might be in a headlamp.
Sponsored

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
Here. And here.

It looks made up because the Silverstars are really that bad. Sylvania admitted it. The guy's scientific, controlled testing shows it. You just need to accept the fact that Sylvania isn't doing anyone favors selling $50 bulbs that barely outperform their $15 bulbs.

At the end of the day, there's a reason Sylvania sent out 2 checks to people who bought Silverstar bulbs a few years back. It's not because the bulbs were so awesome that Sylvania wanted to reward people for making the right decision.

Now that is the definition of made-up testing!

Incorrect testing distance, poor, "subjective" testing methodology, promises to fix a broken testing protocol in 2018 but still unfulfilled as of 2020...

upload_2020-2-27_13-35-22.png

upload_2020-2-27_13-36-21.png
Those two links show that this guy is testing bulbs in his living room. So he is also an independent tester. He is no better then the link I showed. Both are done by independent testers using lux meters. So I really can’t see who is more reliable since both are being tested in roughly the same environment using the same equipment to the best of their abilities. And for Sylvania to give money to an unsatisfied customer just shows good customer service, you can’t please them all. All I know is I’ve been using ultras for years and see great with no regrets and would be open to switching to something different if I knew there were better options out there.

MikeMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si
Country flag
Correct, tested in a living room at 25+ feet, not 12, and at points corresponding to the federal law on headlamps--points that all legal headlamps must be measured at before they can be sold in the US.

Bulb facts, on the other hand, tests three "random" points--"left," "right," and "center," whatever those are, as federal law does not refer to any points in a headlamp's beam pattern as "left" or "right" or "center." And at a mere 12 feet, or too close to the wall.

I trust the guy in the living room who's clearly aware of the federal laws on headlamps and the federal testing procedures more than the guy who's been told what's flawed about his testing methodology in 2018 and still hasn't gotten around to his promise to fix his flaws.

PEPSIFLAME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don’t do a lot of driving at night but the stock halogens are not good.

I don’t feel like I need to change to LED or HID, anyone swap out to better halogens with success?

Not expecting LED or HID results, just a slightly brighter, whiter and cleaner light.

Leaning towards PIAA but just curious if anyone is satisfied with swapping out for better halogens.

I still have my stock ones, probably will for a while. They're bright enough so changing them is not a top priority at the moment. I'll get around to it sometime within the next 12 months though.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Correct, tested in a living room at 25+ feet, not 12, and at points corresponding to the federal law on headlamps--points that all legal headlamps must be measured at before they can be sold in the US.

Bulb facts, on the other hand, tests three "random" points--"left," "right," and "center," whatever those are, as federal law does not refer to any points in a headlamp's beam pattern as "left" or "right" or "center." And at a mere 12 feet, or too close to the wall.

I trust the guy in the living room who's clearly aware of the federal laws on headlamps and the federal testing procedures more than the guy who's been told what's flawed about his testing methodology in 2018 and still hasn't gotten around to his promise to fix his flaws.
Actually he states that he is testing at 18 feet

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I still have my stock ones, probably will for a while. They're bright enough so changing them is not a top priority at the moment. I'll get around to it sometime within the next 12 months though.
Well I just went to my garage to see what bulbs were in there originally, since I saved them. The low beams are Osram originals and the high beams are Sylvania basics. So going to silverstar ultras is an upgrade for both. Here is a couple pictures of the stock bulbs
Honda Civic 10th gen Does anyone keep halogen bulbs? 8D3BBB60-C1C7-4408-A5F2-683B3FFCBD4A
Honda Civic 10th gen Does anyone keep halogen bulbs? 683B794A-0E5F-4C58-B072-1674284B7D87
Honda Civic 10th gen Does anyone keep halogen bulbs? 4FD8855C-53D8-4C16-AC5F-17A5926D310B
Honda Civic 10th gen Does anyone keep halogen bulbs? B815864B-427E-432E-959D-449B62D29A4D

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

And you are contradicting yourself by posting this statement, since both the silverstar ultras and osram night breakers have this same coating on the bulbs
Honda Civic 10th gen Does anyone keep halogen bulbs? 681D9F74-1151-48F3-9A99-E158F7135FB4

MikeMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si
Country flag
If you look at the patent document and the picture it references, the "Sylvania nightbreaker" looks nothing like the Osram Nightbreaker. Two completely different things.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatch Sport
Country flag
Yeah I’ve been saying it for a few months now and finally getting around to it.

The stock halogens aren’t good enough for me.
Sponsored