Does anyone have experience with the 1.0L engine?

Masternap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Hi,

I'm completely new to Honda after my first car broke down after 16 years. I came across the Honda Civic as a possible candidate and I'll probably do a test drive next week. I've noticed that it seems to come with the 1.5L engine by default, but on the German website there's an option for 1.0L:

Honda Civic 10th gen Does anyone have experience with the 1.0L engine? 3yK1q2O

It's really hard to find information on this engine as it doesn't seem to exist in the US. Most used Civics in Germany use this one though, so I wanted to ask if someone knows more about it. Specifically I want to know what you're probably all tired of hearing about - does it have the same oil dilution thing going on that the 1.5L does? It also seems to be a turbo engine, so I'm really not sure what's the difference.

I'm just asking because I'm pretty sure that most used cars don't have that fix installed and if I have to ask about it or if it's really just the 1.5L one.

Thanks!

Attachments

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
On this side of the world no one would choose a 1 liter engine. It's just too slow and small. I don't think one exists here. Even the 1.5T is too small for many. Here its all about HP and displacement

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
The 1.0T is pretty slow with 129 hp and a 0-60 of 10.9 seconds which is rediculously slow by American standards (probably even European). I know not everyone is looking for speed but I personally think thats just too slow period, even if you're driving normally. I'd say step up to 1.5 for sure.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R #00969 BLK, 2015 Nissan 370Z Roadster (BLK), 2019 Civic Si Modern Steel Metalic
Country flag

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
The Civic 1 point slow... :p turbo.

OP
OP

Masternap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Thank you for the replies. I guess we're coming from different worlds since most cars I see on the streets have 60-80 HP. I actually don't know anyone that owns a car with more than 100, so 129 would already be pretty high by my standards. I don't intend to race with this thing - I just want a good medium-sized car after my Ford Fiesta broke down.

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
I guess the issue is that over in Europe you guys have big time restrictions on the size of car and engine you can own because governments there force their people to pay high yearly fees for pollution according to type and size of engine. That insanity puts big restrictions on the size engine people can afford there.
No such laws here...yet. That's why we normally drive around race cars with over 300 hp and land yachts.
But anyway, if you can, I'd go for the 1.5T, its a great unit

OP
OP

Masternap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
You're absolutely right - especially insurance goes through the roof the second you buy a slightly larger car. I'm pretty sure that the 1.5T engine would cost me a fortune, but I'd have to ask for the exact price. I have actually never in my life seen a Honda Civic on the road. Not sure why, since it's supposed to be pretty popular, but everyone just drives VW and Hyundai around here. Haven't seen a single Honda vehicle in months.

Andre80

First Name
white civic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X 1.5 sport +
Country flag
exactly, plus petrol in Europe varies from 1.1 to 2.2 euros per liter

OP
OP

Masternap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
exactly, plus petrol in Europe varies from 1.1 to 2.2 euros per liter
2.2€? That sounds like a lot. It mostly hovers around 1.3 to 1.5 around here and has been for years. But yeah, there are quite a few reasons why most cars you see are pretty small - no matter who's driving them. Reading forums on the Internet always gives me the impression that all men drive cars at least the size of a Civic/Focus/Golf. But here that just isn't the case. Most cars are smaller than that and from talking to relatives and friends I can say with certainty that people just don't have the money to buy cars in that price range. The general consensus seems to be that even 10k € is too much for a car.

It's actually really, really weird how different the opinions on cars in different parts of the world seem to be. It's also funny that we have a lot of freeways without a speed limit, but almost nobody cares. It's so rare to see someone driving faster than 120. Seems to be a really different culture here.

Andre80

First Name
white civic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X 1.5 sport +
Country flag
Yes, in Italy the 100 plus had arrived above 2 euros per liter

The annual tax for 180 hp is 400 euros

: Catfight:: Catfight:: Catfight:: Catfight:: Catfight:

think in Italy that the average salary is half that of Germany

it costs all the more, much higher interest rates

the highway costs 10 euros per 100 km

Last edited:
OP
OP

Masternap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The highway costs money? We don't have that over here. I can drive where I want without paying extra.

By the way, I found this chart that shows how many cars of each carmaker we have. I didn't expect Honda to be THAT low, but I did expect VW to be at the top.
Honda Civic 10th gen Does anyone have experience with the 1.0L engine? c2CIzX5

the4ner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Civic Type R, '01 NSX-T, '20 RDX Advance
Country flag
The highway costs money? We don't have that over here. I can drive where I want without paying extra.

By the way, I found this chart that shows how many cars of each carmaker we have. I didn't expect Honda to be THAT low, but I did expect VW to be at the top.
c2CIzX5.jpg
yep, the highways cost money and are in pretty much perfect condition all the time. I would make that deal any day, tbh.

mar6o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 5D Elegance Navi MT 1.0
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Get the 1,0, it's fast enough.

The saying goes- you buy horsepower, but drive torque. With 200 Nm (148 ft·lb) the turbo triple has you covered.

2020PWP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si, 2018 GT350 Track Pack, Hopefully a Soobie one day too
Country flag
If your friends have 60-80 HP cars and are capable of merging with traffic safely I'd go with the 1.0. I can't imagine driving something that slow though my first car had 200 HP and it was an old Toyota camry.
Sponsored

Last edited: