Does anyone actually enjoy the dealership experience? Is buying cars online better?

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Your form doesn’t work OP.

I like the experience at the dealer OK. 1) It’s a one time transaction. I’m not going to develop a relationship w/a particular dealer or salesperson. I’m never going to look for them again... marry their sister... have them be the godparent of my kids. There’s zero emotion in it. 2) I never sit around for more than 5-10 minutes. If we can’t keep negotiations constant and fluid... I will NOT sit around and be made to “sweat it out”. That’s some power trip BS and have told the salesperson to get my car they were appraising back up front because I was leaving... and have left. I am there to settle on a price on the new car and my trade. I have no interest in games. I see some dealers play these power games to wear you down or make you feel submissive to them in some way and I won’t play their game.

Once the salesperson chills out and stops trying to be my BFF and realizes if they’re going make me sit around... I’ll either go to another dealer or go home... as I’m not there to just hang out in their office like a schmuck... things usually rock and roll quick. I was in and out in under an hour to do paperwork on this Si after a previous visit that took about an hour to get my ‘15 Civic appraised, settle on my number and drop them a deposit since I wanted a ‘18 and they hadn’t gotten one in the lot yet in late ‘17. I would NEVER buy a car sight unseen and always cross shop the competition. Buying a car is like buying shoes to me. I’m trying them on in a store and not buying several online to try and send all but one back.
Sponsored

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
not buying several online to try and send all but one back.
Amazing, you just described every one of my wife's online purchases from Kohl's, Old Navy, Gap, and Justice. She of course returns them in person, which only gives her more reason to shop afterwards.

Jimmyjambo_fk8

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Hello!
I think it's no secret the buy a car from a dealership can be stressful and unnerving especially when the salesmen turn up the pressure to buy.
Reflecting on my own experience it was akin to a bad date. I just wanted to go home, only I'd made the mistake of allowing the salesman to drive me to another lot. Needless to say it was a silent ride back....

Now, especially since COVID, lots of dealers are offering some form of online selling. We're wondering how the online process compares and how it could be better.
We're a small team of students from Boston University conducting a research and we'd like to here about your experiences at the dealership or online.
Help us please by filling out our survey! https://forms.gle/aetxXfzVeSb2pY96A

Thank you!
Go Be You
I worked for the largest Nissan store, in Illinois. The owner conducted the meetings, on a semi-regular basis. He always told us about the process is designed to take forever. ITS ALL ABOUT CONTROL.

If we didn't follow the exact guidelines for the sale, we were put on notice quickly. The owner was very specific. My brother was a long time manager within this owner's dealership group. I was told numerous times about certain things.

I completely understand his thought process. I respected it 100%. I also know that it takes a substantial amount of time to complete a sale.

My opinion, dealers should speed up the entire process. I purchased my 2019 Honda and had everything ready. The process still took over 2hrs. I had completed the application prior to coming into the store. I had been already preapproved and had cash in hand for the down payment.

This process should be faster!

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
At most though, wouldn't you just be paying interest on only the first payment? Which is what, $100 bucks?
If it's a simple interest loan, yes. Some banks use precomputed interest loans, so you pay the full loan and total interest no matter how fast it gets paid off.

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
Dealership experience is usually crap unless you’re buying higher end In my opinion.

JustAddBeer

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP CTR
Country flag
I bought a 2020 CTR a couple weeks ago and the process was mixed. Most of my interaction with the dealership was online or on the phone. The sales guy was a bit flaky on getting me info quickly but I traveled out of state to pick it up and the turn around from the stealership was just less than an hour. That's the shortest turn around I've had when finalizing on a car at a dealership.

That being said, dealing with stealerships generally sucks, even through "online sales". I hated talking to two bit sales hacks on the phone about the Type R and how rare it was blah blah blah. Painful.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
If it's a simple interest loan, yes. Some banks use precomputed interest loans, so you pay the full loan and total interest no matter how fast it gets paid off.
Whaaat?? It must be some shark loan from a suspect source or for those who are not quite eligible for borrowing money. I have never in my life had any other than simple interst loans where the principal never increases (as long as you are making payments on time) AND you can pay the remaining principal off at any time without any penalty and in this way save all the remaining interest. If you pay such loan off immediately, you will only pay a negligible amount of interest for the number of days you had the loan.

Credit card debt is a bit different, but obviously you can still pay off your credit card at any time and avoid any future accrual of interest.

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello!
I think it's no secret the buy a car from a dealership can be stressful and unnerving especially when the salesmen turn up the pressure to buy.
Reflecting on my own experience it was akin to a bad date. I just wanted to go home, only I'd made the mistake of allowing the salesman to drive me to another lot. Needless to say it was a silent ride back....

Now, especially since COVID, lots of dealers are offering some form of online selling. We're wondering how the online process compares and how it could be better.
We're a small team of students from Boston University conducting a research and we'd like to here about your experiences at the dealership or online.
Help us please by filling out our survey! https://forms.gle/aetxXfzVeSb2pY96A

Thank you!
Go Be You
For me personally the aquisition of that honda civic was absolutely enjoyeable and relax and fun the whole way through...
I went to the dealership for an oil change on my blue 2016 coupe and there she was in the showroom all perfect and everything and I decided to approach and ask for infos and prices on the car and everything...i was walking around the dealership and looking at the cars and they happened to have that gorgeous black pearl sport coupe manual with the aero package and the spoiler and everything...it was amazing. I LOVE my car.

Donkeyhotay123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch
Country flag
Didn't have a great time getting my car. Originally I had another one in line at a dealership in the county. The salesman was using the dumb tactic where you break down the costs into per monthly basis. I was looking at the end sum and he wouldn't play. Instead, he gave me this look which I can describe as a "checked out, 1000 yard stare with mouth slightly ajar."

I walked out of that deal. Wasn't worth the drive.

Second dealer was a lot better, but much more ballbusting. I know he's a good salesperson because I walked away feeling accomplished, but realistically, I barely went over budget.

I was able to get a few accessories out of it. Which I think were supposed to make me feel better, but I didn't get steal of a deal like others here.

Musclebadger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I enjoy it to a degree. It all depends on the salesman I think personally. My civic I haggled online with multiple dealerships, and when I walked in for the test drive, the price was already negotiated.

I also haggled for a used truck and again it depends on the salesman/fiance manager. Another benefit is know what types of bullshit they pull, and how to counter it/watch out for it. The rush tatic as mentioned above works really well. I was able to get in and out of buying a truck in under a hour, while getting a good price on it. Its amazing how quickly people can work vs if you let them take their time. I did do my homework ahead of time, reading people's experiences, and online on what to look out for.

I did get screwed buying one of my previous car and didn't end up reviewing the document before signing it. They gave me a low number for my car. I went back in, raised my voice after they wouldn't do anything, and was able to get the KBB value of my car for the trade in. Either way, don't be afraid to get what you want as long as it is within reason.

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Honda S2000
Country flag
I’m 40 and have bought 12 brand new cars, i love going to dealerships ans arguing down a good deal. My wife ABSOLUTELY hates coming with me haha

its definitely not for everyone AND very draining.
I just helped my neighbor whos older than me buy her first new car and i simply gave her 2 dealers to go to with the inventory she wanted, a script of what to do and a price i knew the dealer AND she would be happy with

no haggling and in and out in under 3 hours!
"Dude...Teach me..." (kid in 40 Year Old Virgin)

KYRGYZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic LX, 18 Model X 100D
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Honda and Nissan and ALL dealerships suck when it comes to buying cars and dealing with paper work, the seem nice and offer you drinks, chairs and it feels like they treat you better than your parents... once you say NO to certain add ons, just for $5 extra to your monthly payments, or wash for $10 they turn into complete ***holes and start throwing papers at you, start talking to their colleagues completely forgetting you and doesn't matter how long you've been there (usually 2-3 hours min) and it completely sucks... I hate buying new cars and dealing in person with financial services....

If you want to learn more about online purchasing, TESLA is your answer, I was lucky enough to purchase my Model S online, it took me just 10 minutes to talk to a financial department and 2 days later I got my car. Done. No BS, no paper work you have to sign (at least 20 signatures on my last Odyssey purchase) and no drama. You order online, you talk 10 minutes with representative and 2 days later you are happy owner. Yes, it takes 2-3 days depending on car's availability if you buying from local inventory, but I rather wait 2 days than deal with "stealerships "
Sponsored