Does anyone actually enjoy the dealership experience? Is buying cars online better?

tnangel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge, Hyundai Accent
Country flag
Hello!
I think it's no secret the buy a car from a dealership can be stressful and unnerving especially when the salesmen turn up the pressure to buy.
Reflecting on my own experience it was akin to a bad date. I just wanted to go home, only I'd made the mistake of allowing the salesman to drive me to another lot. Needless to say it was a silent ride back....

Now, especially since COVID, lots of dealers are offering some form of online selling. We're wondering how the online process compares and how it could be better.
We're a small team of students from Boston University conducting a research and we'd like to here about your experiences at the dealership or online.
Help us please by filling out our survey! https://forms.gle/aetxXfzVeSb2pY96A

Thank you!
Go Be You
Sponsored

Last edited:

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
Haggling is a skill and I'll be the first to admit I'm not the best at it but I think I still do pretty good ? My favorite part about buying a car is making them think I need to finance a large amount with a crappy credit score - they immediately see dollar signs. Then when the time comes to pay, I change my mind and pay with a check instead. I've been run off more than once for pulling that but you can usually get away with a good deal if you do it right.

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Haggling is a skill and I'll be the first to admit I'm not the best at it but I think I still do pretty good ? My favorite part about buying a car is making them think I need to finance a large amount with a crappy credit score - they immediately see dollar signs. Then when the time comes to pay, I change my mind and pay with a check instead. I've been run off more than once for pulling that but you can usually get away with a good deal if you do it right.
I suppose a good way to not get run off is to accept the deal with the super low price but crappy APR and then pay it off completely with the first payment? Anyone ever do that? Seems like a good strategy, no?

OP
OP

tnangel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I suppose a good way to not get run off is to accept the deal with the super low price but crappy APR and then pay it off completely with the first payment? Anyone ever do that? Seems like a good strategy, no?
@jtrader that's genius! lol

OP
OP

tnangel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
hahah I can almost see them chasing you out the store. It's a smart idea though

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
need to try that

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
I got very lucky, in that I received the hookup directly from the GM of the dealership. We'd already agreed ahead of time that I'd be getting the car at MSRP with no extras, so my salesperson essentially had zero latitude to weasel. His only job was to kiss my butt and take care of the paperwork. The car still had all of the plastic on it, and wasn't detailed at all (per my instructions). I got the royal treatment when picking it up and was given various Type R swag items from my salesman (who was basically handed a free sale).

My experience was extremely rare and most definitely not indicative of the norm.

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Gotta be good at haggling, my buddy is a master haggler and he says all you have to do is pretend you're in a rush and get everything settled quick without any bullshit, he got his car signed and everything in like 30 min.

My personal experience is eh though, when I picked up my 2020 and when I read the fine print they changed my 1.9% APR to like 4%.. also changed the finance term from 60mo to 72mo.

Very fishy.. I was with my dad and he was pissed and the representative was like "I don't understand why you're upset" I'm like ??? What if we signed that?

Gave some bullshit excuse about how he doesn't know how it was changed yadadada, unfortunate because we've bought/leased 4 cars from them for a while.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
Depends how they do interest. If it's front loaded, you likely wouldn't save any money.

cheesesteak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
A lot of people think they got a good deal just don't realized how badly they were upsold or ripped off. The industry is made up of people who will smile and shake your hand while stabbing you in the back with the other. People need to remember that they are not your friend and they do not work for you.

Gave some bullshit excuse about how he doesn't know how it was changed yadadada, unfortunate because we've bought/leased 4 cars from them for a while.
It's all games. Reminds me of that episode of King of the Hill where Hank finds out his "car guy" has been ripping him off for years.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
There are certain items that should not be bought online A house or apartment and a car a friend years ago bought a 1971 Plymouth 340 duster from a classic car resto dealer I believe in Texas at the time he didn’t trust EBay everything was certified he paid for a nearby mechanic shop also certified to inspect Online car sale and said everything is perfect ( it was supposed to be a ground up restoration)it was transported to New York and as deep inspection of this car it just had a really good paint job a lot of parts were old and worn

IByrdl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Si Sedan
Country flag
That's what I did. They required a minimum of 20K financed with one of their banks to get their advertised sales price. It was significantly lower than any other dealer could go. I paid it off the day I got the account info in the mail.

When I went in to register the car I told the DMV person that I had already paid it off while he was holding the title from the dealer. He was super confused and came to the conclusion that he still had to mail the bank the title first and couldn't just hand it to me lol.

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Depends how they do interest. If it's front loaded, you likely wouldn't save any money.
At most though, wouldn't you just be paying interest on only the first payment? Which is what, $100 bucks?

IByrdl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Si Sedan
Country flag
At most though, wouldn't you just be paying interest on only the first payment? Which is what, $100 bucks?

Yes that is correct. The interest accumulates over time. I paid $42 in interest.

TypeX

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ASPEC RDX
Country flag
I’m 40 and have bought 12 brand new cars, i love going to dealerships ans arguing down a good deal. My wife ABSOLUTELY hates coming with me haha

its definitely not for everyone AND very draining.
I just helped my neighbor whos older than me buy her first new car and i simply gave her 2 dealers to go to with the inventory she wanted, a script of what to do and a price i knew the dealer AND she would be happy with

no haggling and in and out in under 3 hours!
Sponsored