Does a dealer really not do a honest job? (Like changing the oil filter?)

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I need proof for this question and really do not want "opinions" from people who do not like the dealer because they are so expensive. Anyone have experiences where the dealer uses cheap oil (hard to determine) or use cheap filters or dont change the filter at all? Any Honda tech's here? I recently started changing the oil myself because I like to know the jobs getting done right, but for future owners who dont see any service history in "My carfax" or other VIN reporting agencies, they might become a little suspicious...or maybe they might appreciate I am DIY'ing. OK any thoughts on that part?:confused1:
I’ve got a great relationship with my dealer. They’ve been servicing my cars for the past 18 years. Their work is solid, and they always let me go to the service area to speak directly with the tech, and show me anything they find that might need servicing within the next 6 months. I drove my first car for 13 years, and the family I sold it to 3 years ago are still driving it and are very happy with it, so I’d say my dealer’s service department does a great job.

As far as the seemingly endless (and at times, arrogant) argument of “I don’t know why anyone wouldn’t do their own servicing”, some people simply don’t have the time, or skills (or both) do bother servicing their own car. And a lot of people can earn more money working while their car is being serviced, than the cost of the service itself.

Just my two cents.
Sponsored

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I forgot to mention how the service tech told me that it didn't matter if they over filled my oil by three quarts,that it would burn off through the pcv valve.
I agree with someone who said not every one has the skills to change their own oil, but anyone who can read can clearly see that it specifically says in the manual...Do not over fill, it can damage the engine!
I'm sure some of us have decent dealerships, or at least someone there they can trust, but Honda needs to see that people who work at them know what they are doing and actually do it.

Schmullis

First Name
Schmullis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Many dealers want to use their stock or stay with Honda label approved oil.
I have supplied my own oil for Toyota, BMW and Honda dealers. Never had any of them pushback. You tell them what you want them to do, rather than ask them! Has always worked for me.

Eric29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
I do my own oil changes, but a couple of years ago, I took my civic to a Honda dealer for an oil change in the middle of a really cold winter. When I next changed the oil, I saw a Fram filter on the engine. No big deal. A filter is a filter in my opinion. But I was surprised.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I’ve got a great relationship with my dealer. They’ve been servicing my cars for the past 18 years. Their work is solid, and they always let me go to the service area to speak directly with the tech, and show me anything they find that might need servicing within the next 6 months. I drove my first car for 13 years, and the family I sold it to 3 years ago are still driving it and are very happy with it, so I’d say my dealer’s service department does a great job.

As far as the seemingly endless (and at times, arrogant) argument of “I don’t know why anyone wouldn’t do their own servicing”, some people simply don’t have the time, or skills (or both) do bother servicing their own car. And a lot of people can earn more money working while their car is being serviced, than the cost of the service itself.

Just my two cents.
I agree that not everyone should change their own oil etc. Indeed many people don't have skills or ability, more often don't have a comfortable place to do the work. Some just hate this kind of job. It's not so clear to me about the time, because the time it takes to have oil changed by a service is not negligible, even when the service is as fast as possible. The money argument is even weaker, at least in my case. I can't sit in a chair 24/7 making money. I take any opportunity to do some physical effort, be it mowing the grass or changing the oil. I hate running aimlessly or exercising, much more than doing useful chores. I would rather clean a toilet or mop a floor than go to a gym. Now, if I were a car mechanic I don't think I would be changing my oil by myself....

I forgot to mention how the service tech told me that it didn't matter if they over filled my oil by three quarts,that it would burn off through the pcv valve.
Either this service tech is very dumb, or he assumes car owners are. The PCV system takes in vapors, not the liquid, so it would take forever to evaporate excess oil. Unless you fill the engine to the top, so it flows out the dipstick tube....:drool: Maybe he had heard about the high level of oil caused by the fuel blowby and confused this with overfilling with oil. Everybody knows that if an engine which does not consume oil is overfilled, it will remain overfilled for a very long time.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
I have never had actual problems with the service at the dealership in Fredericton. I get the oil done there when my cars are under warranty and then after that, I do it myself.

They use synthetic oil and Honda oil filters and change the filter every time regardless of A or B service and are up front about that with customers.

The only time I had an issue (Regarding oil changes) was with the new Civic and the service tech spilled a little oil and didn't get it all cleaned up so there was smell and dripping oil on my garage floor. Took it back the next day and they cleaned it all up pronto with no charge. I have been a Honda customer and a patron of that dealership for over 23 years now so they know me well and most of the main staff have been there for much of that time. It truly saddens me when I hear of dealerships that earn the pejorative name Stealership. There is no need for it.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
You mean there in Toronto. Big cities all have that issue where one company owns one of each of almost all the dealer brands. Pretty much after 500,000 population, expect a lot of what you described as far as ownership of dealers.

In theory, you should be able to hold the dealers to account via Honda Canada but I am sure you were not in the mood.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
the only way to be sure is DIY. I know a lot of people don't feel capable,but if you get someone to show you how it's done, it's pretty easy. I had one friend who had his oil changed at walmart. Next morning there was oil all over his garage floor. The service guy stripped the threads on his oil pan. My neighbor went to Jiffy Lube and when they pulled his car out of the bay, it was leaking oil all over the drive because the guy put a double gasket on the oil filter. Call me crazy but I can't stand letting someone else do it.

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Let's just say they cheap out on the oil and filter or worst they don't change it all.

What are the chances of something going wrong with the vehicle. If it's does can you prove it.

Can you tell they used synthetic. My boy at work got flustered when I told him that. LOL

OP
OP

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
Thanks for all the responses, I decided to change the oil myself with Castrol Edge 0w20 and Bosch 3323 oil filters. It is a premium qaulity oil used by lambo and luxury car brands and the bosch oil filter doesnt break the bank (Amazon). Nice to know the job is getting done right.

Especially with these cars, changing the oil is very easy. Luckily I used my friends lift to change the oil so no driveway messes.

All in all I spent ~29 dollars. Win-win.

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
I let shops to do my oil change but I ask for old oil filter which I marked . And give them only 5qt of oil so I put the rest myself . CTR 5.7 qt.

When it comes to resale I have whole bunch of used oil filter . What other proof do these people need ?

Honda Civic 10th gen Does a dealer really not do a honest job? (Like changing the oil filter?) image

OP
OP

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
I let shops to do my oil change but I ask for old oil filter which I marked . And give them only 5qt of oil so I put the rest myself . CTR 5.7 qt.

When it comes to resale I have whole bunch of used oil filter . What other proof do these people need ?

image.jpg
If your gonna go through all that hassle might as well chage it yourself. Your spending alot more like that.
Sponsored