Does 10th gen sport sedan 6MT 1st gear has synchronizer?

nicky8668

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Sedan
Country flag
Hi there
I had some problem with my 6MT (many others also complained, including si and type R, some have problem with 2nd gear, some have problems with all even number gears). I found the 1st gear is always clunky. But under certain circumstances......
1. When the car is on, stationary, press clutch then quickly shift into 1st.........clunky shift (kind of mechanical resistance feeling, but not grind)
2. When the car is on, stationary, press clutch then quickly shift into 1st, keep clutch in, return to neutral, then shift to 1st is smooth
3. When the car is on, stationary, press clutch then wait 10 seconds, shift to 1st is smooth
4. When the car is off, shift to 1st is smooth, even with clutch out
5. When driving, downshift to 1st is impossible. Kind of like a lockout, unless I'm almost stopped (under 5mph)

All of those symptoms, I strongly speculate if the 1st gear has a synchronizer, then those synchronizers are probably defective from the factory.

Does that make sense to you guys? What're your thoughts?
Sponsored

OP
OP
nicky8668

nicky8668

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Please try # 1, 2, and 3 in your MT and see if you also have the problem.

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
u cannot do 5th in any car if your car is faster than 5 to 10 mph first gear and reverse will be locked out when a car reaches certain speed. That's how any car is designed to prevent accidental shift and overrevving the engine which can seriously damage an engine

crxFITcivicBOY

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I experienced #1 and #2 when I first bought my 6MT hatch, but haven’t felt it once the car had some miles on it. I’m at 15k miles and never have issues with 1st anymore. Even going into 2nd got smoother. No complaints with the gearbox now.

OP
OP
nicky8668

nicky8668

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I experienced #1 and #2 when I first bought my 6MT hatch, but haven’t felt it once the car had some miles on it. I’m at 15k miles and never have issues with 1st anymore. Even going into 2nd got smoother. No complaints with the gearbox now.
What about downshifting? What's your speed when going into 1st? I don't have a problem going into 1st when downshifting below 5mph, but if its around 10mph, then it feels like a lockout.

OP
OP
nicky8668

nicky8668

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
u cannot do 5th in any car if your car is faster than 5 to 10 mph first gear and reverse will be locked out when a car reaches certain speed. That's how any car is designed to prevent accidental shift and overrevving the engine which can seriously damage an engine
Is there a physical lockout mechanism or just the synchro blocks me out? I don't have problem going into 1st below 5, but still feel like #1 I described. Just feel the stock MTF is a bit too thin? Could Amsoil or Royal Purple Synchromesh help?

crxFITcivicBOY

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What about downshifting? What's your speed when going into 1st? I don't have a problem going into 1st when downshifting below 5mph, but if its around 10mph, then it feels like a lockout.
I never put it into 1st unless I’m going like 3mph, and even then, I need to be applying a little bit of brake pressure to get 1st gear to not be locked out. At 3 mph I can just come up on the clutch with engine idle and it’s smooth. If you’re moving at least 5mph, just ease into 2nd (unless you are headed uphill)

I haven’t done it, but a lot of people on the site rave about the Amsoil Sycromesh stuff for when you change out fluids.

OP
OP
nicky8668

nicky8668

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I never put it into 1st unless I’m going like 3mph, and even then, I need to be applying a little bit of brake pressure to get 1st gear to not be locked out. At 3 mph I can just come up on the clutch with engine idle and it’s smooth. If you’re moving at least 5mph, just ease into 2nd (unless you are headed uphill)

I haven’t done it, but a lot of people on the site rave about the Amsoil Sycromesh stuff for when you change out fluids.
What abt going from 1st to 2nd? Does your tranny feel buttery smooth? My tranny also feels a bit mechanical resistance feeling, but not grind. Kindda like the synchro is trying to align the teeth.

crxFITcivicBOY

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What abt going from 1st to 2nd? Does your tranny feel buttery smooth? My tranny also feels a bit mechanical resistance feeling, but not grind. Kindda like the synchro is trying to align the teeth.

I had a similar issue for my first few thousand miles. I don’t notice it now. The shifts feel good without any resistance.

OP
OP
nicky8668

nicky8668

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I had a similar issue for my first few thousand miles. I don’t notice it now. The shifts feel good without any resistance.
I found the issue. It's the clutch. I adjust my clutch nut 2 thread upward. All gears are buttery smooth now. I can get into 1st at any speed (of course keep the clutch in). I think most folks talk about it gets better as you break in is to wear the clutch more, so it's not dragging as bad as when it was new. But I would do it as early as possible to avoid any synchro damage.

crxFITcivicBOY

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I found the issue. It's the clutch. I adjust my clutch nut 2 thread upward. All gears are buttery smooth now. I can get into 1st at any speed (of course keep the clutch in). I think most folks talk about it gets better as you break in is to wear the clutch more, so it's not dragging as bad as when it was new. But I would do it as early as possible to avoid any synchro damage.
Hmmm glad that worked for you. I’m not sure my issue could’ve been clutch dragging when I’m pedal to the floor and bite point is halfway through the stroke....

OP
OP
nicky8668

nicky8668

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hmmm glad that worked for you. I’m not sure my issue could’ve been clutch dragging when I’m pedal to the floor and bite point is halfway through the stroke....
Do you have really weak humming sound when the car is idling and gear in neutral? The sound goes away when you pass the bite point. Sort of like hearing the shaft rotating. But it's pretty faint sound. I always found those little weird things about cars. Any experience?

crxFITcivicBOY

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do you have really weak humming sound when the car is idling and gear in neutral? The sound goes away when you pass the bite point. Sort of like hearing the shaft rotating. But it's pretty faint sound. I always found those little weird things about cars. Any experience?
I never experienced that humming noise. Also, I reread through your other post regarding this issue and fix, and honestly I don’t think I had the same issue. I only ever had problems going quickly into 2nd.... and occasionally into 1st, definitely not every time. Once I adjusted my shifting to give adequate time for the synchros going 1-2 ( no rush anyways since I’m matching revs) then it was smooth. Also I learned all the tricks for lockout to 1st (like mph it is available in, and also that with a little bit of brake it will let you shift into it)
Sponsored