do you use 87 octane in your honda ex civic.

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
I use 93. Why? Free gas.
Sponsored

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
Yeah, my biggest pet peeve are the mileage threads. What compounds the problem is you have the guy in rural Kansas saying he consistently gets 45 mpg. Then the guy driving in NYC is upset because he only gets 28 mpg. It never seems to sink in that there are dozens of variables that effect mileage. There is absolutely no way to truly compare two cars with different drivers in different locations at different times.
Correct when I lived in NY I got bad mileage
When I moved to Florida better mileage a lot flatter and open roads

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I doesn't bother me when someone says "I get 47 mph average" (good for you) or someone else says "I get 18 mph and need new brakes with every oil change" (sorry to hear this). This is just harmless chat. I myself don't live in any Gotham City, got 31.1 mpg for the last almost 5000 miles driving (the civic) almost exclusively alone, and I'm totally fine with this score. No harm done.

But when someone spews total nonsense about how driving on too high octane gas fouls up the engine, causes misfires, increases emissions, and destroys the catalytic converter, :doh:I do run out of my ignorance tolerance.

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
You gave a long speech, but the length of your homegrown philosophies doesn't make them right, even if it was a 23 hour speech.

Octane and volatility are two separate, unrelated properties, and you have zero chance of understanding it without a degree in chemistry. You just need to accept it.

There are compounds that are very volatile that have also high octane rating (methane, propane, butane) and there are compounds that are less volatile than gasoline that also have very high octane ratings (anything highly branched, alcohols, many other heavier compounds).

There are also compounds with very low octane rating that can be either more volatile or less volatile than gasoline.

Gasoline is a mixture. It's composition is tuned for the desired combination of volatility and octane for compliance with regulations.

High octane fuel is not less volatile, because the volatility of fuel is strictly controlled for location and season (winter and summer).

Spark ignition is not affected by octane, only by the volatility and flammability limits. Are you getting misfire codes on high octane? :rofl:
You can get misfire fault codes amongst others on high octane - that's the whole point. It's not about whether it will or will not have issues. Depending on its design and temperature, using a higher octane fuel than what it's designed for can cause issues. And I just google.it and see a plethora of links to threads entitled something like, "Misfiring after switching from 87 to premium", so it appears it's not just theory. People do have issues.

Furthermore, it's not a homegrown philosophy - that's science and engineering that's behind the development for an internal combustion engine. If you think you know more than the engineers that developed it, be ignorant. Frankly, I don't care. I'll wait for your thread that starts, "Misfiring from switching from 87 to premium"..

Jeezer

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 civic hatch ex, '90 civic ef hatch b16a1, '95 a32 maxima vq35de
Country flag
That’s a throbbing affirmative. We can put it right before the master oil thread and after the master warranty one.
And then we can hide these threads there and take turns answering them in shifts lol.

You can get misfire fault codes amongst others on high octane - that's the whole point. It's not about whether it will or will not have issues. Depending on its design and temperature, using a higher octane fuel than what it's designed for can cause issues. And I just google.it and see a plethora of links to threads entitled something like, "Misfiring after switching from 87 to premium", so it appears it's not just theory. People do have issues.

Furthermore, it's not a homegrown philosophy - that's science and engineering that's behind the development for an internal combustion engine. If you think you know more than the engineers that developed it, be ignorant. Frankly, I don't care. I'll wait for your thread that starts, "Misfiring from switching from 87 to premium"..
I answered his questions and proved my points and got no response. Don't expect much of a conversation from the dude if that is what you are looking for lol.

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
And then we can hide these threads there and take turns answering them in shifts lol.

I answered his questions and proved my points and got no response. Don't expect much of a conversation from the dude if that is what you are looking for lol.
Maybe he's just out for a troll stroll.

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I doesn't bother me when someone says "I get 47 mph average" (good for you) or someone else says "I get 18 mph and need new brakes with every oil change" (sorry to hear this). This is just harmless chat. I myself don't live in any Gotham City, got 31.1 mpg for the last almost 5000 miles driving (the civic) almost exclusively alone, and I'm totally fine with this score. No harm done.

But when someone spews total nonsense about how driving on too high octane gas fouls up the engine, causes misfires, increases emissions, and destroys the catalytic converter, :doh:I do run out of my ignorance tolerance.
That’s a throbbing affirmative. We can put it right before the master oil thread and after the master warranty one.

My personal favorite is the, “Hi... I drive my car with different environmental variables than you... on different routes than you... in a different style than you. How come... (insert random complaint here)”.

These ones where it’s, “Do you use the octane/viscosity/etc that the manual calls for... why or why not?” have never resonated with my soul like the aforementioned one.

167419DF-9A8D-4CA6-9A9E-A3B6B6247AB3.gif
Groundhog day.. Haha. Brilliant use of that gif. I'd give you two thumbs up for that if it let me!

ulieq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Coupe 2019
Country flag
Depends on your altitude also bros. Stick with the cheap stuff.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
I use the 93 with 0 issues. The car runs great. I use it for the additives. Car has been running 93 since new. It now has 25k miles and never had any codes come up and the car always runs flawlessly. I honestly have never noticed a power difference between the two fuels in a factory tuned car in my 20 years of driving multiple vehicles. The only time I’ve noticed a problem was in my Chevy truck that was custom programmed. It required 91 or better, and I put 87 because I was going mostly highway to an airport and back. As soon as I tried to pass someone the engine started pinging very noticeably. Had to stop and put 93 and plus a little octane booster to get it to stop. But every factory tuned car that says 87 octane should take 93 with no issues at all.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I use the 93 with 0 issues. The car runs great. I use it for the additives. Car has been running 93 since new. It now has 25k miles and never had any codes come up and the car always runs flawlessly. I honestly have never noticed a power difference between the two fuels in a factory tuned car in my 20 years of driving multiple vehicles. The only time I’ve noticed a problem was in my Chevy truck that was custom programmed. It required 91 or better, and I put 87 because I was going mostly highway to an airport and back. As soon as I tried to pass someone the engine started pinging very noticeably. Had to stop and put 93 and plus a little octane booster to get it to stop. But every factory tuned car that says 87 octane should take 93 with no issues at all.
Why would anyone ever have issues with high octane? There is no such physical possibilty.
The fiery zeal :spaz:all over the internet and the media with which some people fight premium gas and protect someone else's wallets, while not invited to do so, is amazing. It probably comes from a bias against oil companies and some sort of envy, supported by ignorance. :banghead:

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
I use "Premium" (91) here in Canuckistan but not because of the octane or the additional additive package that might be in there. I do it to avoid the ethanol. Ethanol is a lower efficiency fuel and when you pay for 10%, as long as the difference in price to premium is not in excess of the efficiency loss, then I am fine.

Also, the tank on this car is small so meh and Canadians get pounded at the pumps anyhow. I only use regular/87 in our 2010 CRV unless I am in the States and then I "splurge" as even the 91/93 is cheaper than our regular.

Flash5

First Name
Bernard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L; 2018 Lexus IS 300 F Sport RWD; 2000 Toyota Celica GT; 2007 Honda Fit Sport
Country flag
Why would anyone ever have issues with high octane? There is no such physical possibilty.
The fiery zeal :spaz:all over the internet and the media with which some people fight premium gas and protect someone else's wallets, while not invited to do so, is amazing. It probably comes from a bias against oil companies and some sort of envy, supported by ignorance. :banghead:
You shouldn't really ever see issues if you run premium gas instead of regular gas. At the end of the day, you're just paying for the additional detergents that they put in the premium fuel (allegedly), if that extra cost is worth it to you then go for it. You can just run a fuel cleaning solution (techron, gumout, etc) in your car every few thousand miles and get more or less the same benefits. The only thing I can say is you are definitely not getting a performance boost by using premium gas unless you have a tune installed for 91/93 octane.

sLing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
The gas company won this debate.
Sponsored