mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Zroger73: Thanks for the clarifications. Your last post should put all the oil change debates to rest!
Sponsored

amnesiac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Continued horse beating.....where does it mention that Honda factory oil should not be changed early? I see no mention in the owner's manual nor on the Honda website. I only see forum comments or the brochure posted in this thread. I would think if it was so important it would at least be mentioned in the manual unless I am overlooking something. Just curious...

CoopKill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Continued horse beating.....where does it mention that Honda factory oil should not be changed early? I see no mention in the owner's manual nor on the Honda website. I only see forum comments or the brochure posted in this thread. I would think if it was so important it would at least be mentioned in the manual unless I am overlooking something. Just curious...
I spoke to 2 dealers at MM 40%, and both emphasized not to change it before 15%. In fact one of them refused to do the change stating if I was dead set on changing it I would need to do it myself, or an oil change place.

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
So the MM is for having an oil change, not for putting more oil in your car (like from a gas station)? Do you still have to do the latter the ol' fashioned way by pulling out the stick and reading it?

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
So the MM is for having an oil change, not for putting more oil in your car (like from a gas station)? Do you still have to do the latter the ol' fashioned way by pulling out the stick and reading it?
Yes. The car does not have an oil level sensor. It only knows two things about the oil: (1) How much oil life remains based on preprogrammed information and actual driving conditions and (2) whether or not there is sufficient oil pressure. If your oil level gets too low, there would be nothing for the oil pump to pump and you'd lose oil pressure causing your oil pressure light to come on.

The MM is there to remind you when scheduled maintenance is due. You're still responsible checking the oil level using the dipstick.

9civic10

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si
If Honda is ,I am
I usually only do 5000k a year so I get an oil change once a year

Akalawur77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Don't forget that if you are running a tune/mods to do your maintenance on the earlier side

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
My first mantinince reminder just came on. At 10k xD so factory oil has been in there for 10k miles. It didn't look bad when I did the change tho. Threw in amsoil 0w30

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I am at around 6900 miles and 20% MM. No worries here. Will go in when it goes the next step lower. Not sure if that is 15 or 10%.

CivicSi#38

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Acura Integra, 2015 Honda CR-V, 2017 Honda Civic Si, 1990 Acura Integra (sold), 2001 Acura Integra GS-R (sold), 2011 Honda Civic Si (sold), 2007 Honda CBR 600RR (sold)
Country flag
I'll throw my hat in on this one... I have read that the factory oil in fact is non-detergent. Is this accurate?

CoopKill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
I'll throw my hat in on this one... I have read that the factory oil in fact is non-detergent. Is this accurate?
Just a guess, but it would make sense that the factory oil used when new from the dealer would have no additives, or detergents to allow the rings to seat. Similar to the recommendation of not using synthetic oil on a fresh rebuild as it prevent seating of the rings.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
When I attended a Ridgeline VIP plant tour in 2010, we were told by the vice president of Honda Manufacturing of Alabama that the factory fill was the same oil that they sold in quarts under the Honda brand. At the time, this oil was manufactured by ExxonMobil. The oil was stored in and dispensed from large tanks that were refilled by oil trucks on a daily basis. I saw other large tanks as well that held thousands of gallons of washer fluid, brake fluid, coolant, etc. When you manufacture almost 1,000 vehicles each day, you tend to use a lot of fluids!

The oil that Honda currently uses is manufactured by Phillips 66 according to the MSDS. A year or two ago, Honda discontinued their synthetic blend 0W-20 leaving only a full synthetic.

https://w3apps.phillips66.com/NetMS...ter=**&MSDSTypeFilter=USDS&SearchValue=817725

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
When I attended a Ridgeline VIP plant tour in 2010, we were told by the vice president of Honda Manufacturing of Alabama that the factory fill was the same oil that they sold in quarts under the Honda brand. At the time, this oil was manufactured by ExxonMobil. The oil was stored in and dispensed from large tanks that were refilled by oil trucks on a daily basis.
I am surprised that a VP would know such details. Good for Honda!

Chief 08

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
I guess everyone thinks they know more than the engineers at honda.
Sponsored