Do you think turbo charging the Si was the right direction for Honda?

bahndrvr

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si White Orchid Pearl, 1983 Foxbody 4 eye Notchback
Country flag
Yes it was the correct direction
Sponsored

babinjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Porsche turbo
Ferrari turbo
McLaren turbo
BMW turbo
Audi turbo
Mercedes Benz turbo
VW turbo
Hyundai turbo
Kia turbo
Ford turbo

Honda would've been stupid NOT to turbo their cars.
No Toyota turbo. I guess they aren’t buying into the reliability yet. In addition none of their fully Toyota cars are fun. I haven’t driven Toyota Corolla Hatch but the Corolla in top trim with a manual tranny sucked. Most Toyota are basic transportation. My Civic Si is fun and provides some relief to my long commute

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
No Toyota turbo. I guess they aren’t buying into the reliability yet. In addition none of their fully Toyota cars are fun. I haven’t driven Toyota Corolla Hatch but the Corolla in top trim with a manual tranny sucked. Most Toyota are basic transportation. My Civic Si is fun and provides some relief to my long commute
The Toyota 86 is fun to drive, but not a good daily commuter as it is very unrefined. The MR2 was a fun car to drive. I've heard from numerous reviewers that the Toyota Hatch is fun and is also comfortable enough to be a daily commuter. My 2006 Camry SE V6 is fun to drive, not as fun as my Si, but is fun nonetheless. It's no slouch. The 3.3L V6 is probably one of the best engines Toyota ever produced IMO. Toyota is more into stability and longevity then performance...in other words they are reluctant to change a formula that works

Last edited:

consensual_induction

First Name
Turbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sti, 2019 Si, Fr-S, 350z, Evo X
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
my God yes it was a good call...Fr-S was a waste of money, id never get a NA car that isnt like...a viper...ever again.

consensual_induction

First Name
Turbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sti, 2019 Si, Fr-S, 350z, Evo X
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't think anyone will say going turbo was a bad choice. Keeping it at 200hp, however, was a mistake in most people's minds. I believe 1/4 mile times drop over half a second from just a base map tune. Think Honda could have eeked out 225hp and put a better clutch in without jacking up the price of the car too much.
it feels faster as a DD though, srsly drive an FR-S...mine had header-back exhaust intake tune and felt slower then stock Si somehow (i know it wasnt, but turbochargers feel too good...)

Nerd-Vol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si Sedan, 2004 S2000
Country flag
Owning a high revving VTEC car and this one 1.5L turbo, I know which one I would much rather have for daily usage. I love wringing a car out, but you can’t utilize the performance of a VTEC engine nearly as much as you can a turbo engine. That’s kind of the point of VTEC, you have an economic engine for most of the time but high performance capabilities when you need it. With the turbo you have the efficiency and the performance right next to each other.

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Never owned an SI before this 2019 one, but I did have an RSX for a while. While I loved revving that NA K20 up to oblivion, I do enjoy the driveability of this car as a daily SO much more. Also, my RSX was incredibly inefficient... I barely saw over 20 mpgs with mainly city driving. I can whip the SI like a hoonigan all day long and stay getting over 30 mpgs!

Someone mentioned here that if they wanted to bang redlines all day, then they could get a toy for that, but a turbo for the SI was a step in the right direction for a daily. And for $25k, we have nothing to be complaining about!

Obviously, this is the first time Honda produced a turbo 1.5l engine into the US market, so time will tell how reliable they will be, but fingers are crossed that they can live up to Honda's legendary reliabilty.
Sponsored