Do you think the car market will settle and price go down anytime soon?

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Topic.
Sponsored

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Once the chip shortage abates, everything will dip again. I'd predict mid-next year at the earliest, but that's predicated on C19. If Delta doesn't abate anytime soon, or if another wild variant appears, then the market will stay up-ended.

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
Live in a very suburban heavily populated area, central tri-state.

Tons of car dealers and most if not all are nearly empty. cars are just not there. Nothing is going below msrp.

Honda just announced to its dealers that allocations for new cars will be 40% lower than original estimates.

Supply is short and this wonā€™t slow down until well into 2022.

There was an article that stated one of the crappiest car you can buy, Mitsubishi Mirage was going for nearly $10k above its $14k sticker. You have Ford f series trucks sitting in parking lots 90% built except for chips.

RetroRacer1980

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Civic Sport Sedan(sold)ā€™12 Camaro SS/RS ā€˜23WRX
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I honestly think it will be 2023 if anything. I plan on getting a new GR86 next spring for my second vehicle and I expect a bump in price from MSRP by at least 1-2k$ when it hits dealers. However thatā€™s a brand new model so itā€™s understandable. If anything I expect the used car prices to level out soonerā€¦.hopefully ?
Hopefully things get better soon, itā€™s definitely the worst market to buy currently..

Last edited:

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I see this going on until the 2024 election. Has anyone shopped for groceries or anything else for that matter? Prices have risen considerably. And the virus is still controlling our lives. My state is going back to a mask mandate in all public areas.

CTRDre

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R #38346
Country flag
I see this going on until the 2024 election. Has anyone shopped for groceries or anything else for that matter? Prices have risen considerably. And the virus is still controlling our lives. My state is going back to a mask mandate in all public areas.
I think the rising prices, and lack of stock at some grocery stores and big box stores, has more to do with a lack of long-haul truck drivers. So things are taking longer to get places and are more expensive to ship since there are less trucks moving goods around. Trickles down hill...

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Strictly regarding the car market. Hopefully back to normal by the end of 2022 (really want a used Si or ND2 Miata for around $18k). Used car prices are still insane right now. Hold on to your old cars for another year if possible. Good time to sell that extra old beater though, not likely to see an opportunity like this in our lifetime.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
i dont see this ending anytime soon. EARLIEST id assume would be late next year but even that i doubt it.
i want to get into a new car but used car prices are so insane, im just sitting here waiting patiently.

Has anyone shopped for groceries or anything else for that matter? Prices have risen considerably.
yup. i work in the food production industry. my cost to make stuff has increased significantly.
It has to do with lack of production volume from the factory side and in addition, the reduction of drivers and their driving hours.

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Looking in on dealer inventories around me...they are way down on what would be a normal inventory level. To compensate, they are going to stock up on used cars. That puts them in a competition with other dealers looking for that inventory, driving up prices because now consumers have more options to look into when they want to move on from a car. It's so bad Honda isn't letting you sell a leased Honda to a non-Honda dealer. This is going to continue for a while.

What also doesn't help are announcements about moving to hybrids/EVs. We are in the last gen of ICE engines for some sporty cars, which is going to drive up prices for any desirable car and probably trickle down a bit as well.

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No. It's the new normal. Stagflation is here to stay.

OP
OP
Byron Sexton

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
On topic. I saw a wild commercial, usually a commercial would give you a price, offer deals on leases. etc Yesterday I saw a Honda commercial that was more akin towards getting on a list for a car meaning if you are not on the list you will not get a car. No deals offered no incentives, no lease offers nothing.

This is an indication of the market as a whole. What can we do to combat this?

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What can we do to combat this?
Stop buying cars unless we absolutely absolutely absolutely need to. As long as we keep indulging the market, the market continues to be indulged. ?? Seems like a simple formula to me.

CVTsport18

Honda First Timer
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Veloster N DCT
Country flag
Buyers need to start refusing the mark up. I get that people need to buy cars, I'm one of them, but people are rolling over and dishing out the extra thousands and it's enabling the market to continue with this tomfoolery.

OP
OP
Byron Sexton

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I never thought i would ever see the day a car commercial not offering any incentive to get in the door...
Sponsored