Do you reinsert dipstick all the way back in when checking oil (Honda civic 2017)?

CarsOverMotorcycles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Do you reinsert dipstick all the way (completely closed/flush) back in and then pull it out when checking oil (Honda civic 2017)?
Sponsored

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
... and on level ground after the engine has been shut off for several minutes or more.

ClearKeys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Si Sedan
Country flag
Probably referring to whether you reinsert until it stops from the resistance or insert until like it's normally secured. You wanna insert like how it's normally secured. Clean it once before checking for an accurate reading

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
... and on level ground after the engine has been shut off for several minutes or more.
Not less than half hour.
I'm always surprise to see people check and had oil at gas station. With few minutes stop, dipstick will always show low oil level.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
these cars are hard to get an accurate reading on the dipstick. first few times I checked it looked like it was way overfilled. turned out I just wasn't getting a good reading.

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not just the CivicX but every vehicle.

Why wouldn't you?

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Not less than half hour.
I'm always surprise to see people check and had oil at gas station. With few minutes stop, dipstick will always show low oil level.
Unrealistic and unnecessary to wait more than a few minutes if the car has been run long enough to have reached normal operating temperature - try reading the owner's manual for Honda's recommendation.
For most users the idea is to keep from running low on/out of oil not to top it off to the full level each time you check it.