Do you ever feel it's a waste to build your Si?

alxgravel

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si 2017
Country flag
Did I regret?

No ... My car will never go back to stock since I bought ktuner . I just flash it to stock when I go to the dealer and Its just wake up that SI ! I'm running on 94 oct since days one and nothing happened. I'm tuned since 40k kilo and now I'm at 80k. I bought tsp stage 1 this summer and Its day & night vs base map. Ktuner did what honda should came with those power map. For now my clutch still holding good with some mods. Maybe next summer will get an new clutch and I want like 300 lbs of torque. Well I did change my plug at 70k and do my oil change at 6-8k kilo anyway you feel it when you need new oil and when you pull hard the knock is moving to 0.55 and more. With good oil here I'm keeping 0.49 and sometime hitting 50-52 on hot day . ( thx to 94 oct petro-canada )

Ktuner
TSP stage 1 map 3
27won CAI
27won RMM
Firehawk indy 500 245/35/18
Type r badges
Smoked side marker
HFP Floor mat

Next upgrade , new clutch kits pair with new CMC , intercooler, downpipe
Sponsored

Last edited:

Sport-injected

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si, 2006 Saab 9-3 Aero
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
For me I prefer coupes and Type-R isn't available in coupe. If it was it might be a different story but I have no regrets modding my Si. And to be honest for the money you have to pay for a Type-R I would probably go a different route all together.

Brakes88

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 TYP SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hopefully I won't get bashed for this but I probably will. There is no doubt the Type R is an amazing FWD car, performance-wise. It's an absolute beast on the track. But where Honda lost me as a potential buyer was in the boy racer looks (if I could have afforded one lol). That's not to say it isn't cool looking. It is. But not my style.

I disagree with a lot of Type R owners who's assumption is that every Si owner really wanted an R but settled for an Si.

The reality is, the Si is probably a better daily driver. Better mpgs and less prone to wheel or tire damage from potholed streets.

To many, the Si looks better. Not everyone wants the over the top big wing and abundance of styling elements the R has.

Believe it or not some people prefer coupes and sedans.

Some people simply don't want a big monthly payment or higher insurance costs.

Again, the R is an amazing car. But it's not necessarily what every Civic owner wants their car to be. In my case, I just wanted a somewhat faster, somewhat better looking and somewhat better handling EX-L.
I prefer coupes over anything.

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road 6MT
Country flag
Man this thread hits close to home tonight! LOL

I bought my Si last December coming out of a BMW 3 series lease which I poured (wasted) so much money on trying different mods, tunes, wheels, etc. My full intention with the Si was NOT to mod at all other than tires when it warmed up (PS4S are the cats meow). Well I did that and then - looking at my spreadsheet tracking what all I've bought and installed on it - moved onto bolt ons, tune, detailing, etc.

I doubt many of us buy this $26K MSRP car and think, "ya know......I'm going to spend $10K on it in the first year or so!". Well, at least I didn't. I've learned that once you buy the first mod, you *have* to buy the supporting mods to get the most out of the preceding mods. Case in point: my first power mod was the Phearable tune on the Ktuner V2.0. I loved it, but in the middle of Summer here I knew I was missing out on getting the most out of the power with the stock intercooler. So I bought the PRL intercooler/charge pipe. Heat soak solved but now the stock airbox doesn't fully bolt down and rubs against the much large PRL charge pipe. Okay.......ordered the 27WON CAI. Once I get that I'm sure I'll realize I *have* to get a downpipe to increase turbo spool. I think you see how it goes from there.

Then again, most of the stuff I did on this car, I would have done on almost every car I buy from here on out: Xpel XR+ ceramic tint, paint correction and ceramic paint coat, etc. I think about the "what if" I would have just gotten a CTR often. If my Si is freshly detailed and standing tall, I'm completely happy with it and IMO it looks much nicer than the CTR. If my Si is dirty and neglected after a long raodtrip and covered in bugs....I start running the numbers on trading for a CTR until I come back to my senses. I have to be honest with myself that everything I did with my Si, I would have done, or at least a version of it, to a CTR.

2020CivicSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
Yeah OP I see where you're coming from. I probably wouldn't spend 10k modding the SI. But it does still make sense for me to do some small stuff like a short shifter and some bolt ons.

Also, I can see it making sense for someone to put in 10k modding an SI to ctr levels since it is a different body type than the ctr.

kidk

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI Coupe (FC3)
Country flag
Like some here, I didn't plan to go as far with my mods initially, but slipped down the rabbit hole as soon as I started. Up until that point, I can say that I did experience a bit of buyer's remorse from not starting out with a Type R, but to be brutally honest, I never liked how that car looks. I love my coupe body, and once wished that it came with the same stock performance setup as the Type R, but after building it up I definitely would not trade the experience. If I had bought a Type R, I would have babied it completely - instead I poured my heart and soul into my FC3, feel a greater sense of fulfillment and intimacy while driving, and have gained a wealth of knowledge that otherwise would have been left untapped.

Oh, and I'm gonna swap a K20C1 into this bitch when the L15B7 blows up anyway ?‍♂

Stratuss

First Name
Jovanny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
It's not a waste if you're enjoying the build. People only buy the Type R for hype & I've seen a lot of them. I'll see someone buy a new Type R upgrading from a sport hatchback & they can't mod it because they're about 20-30k in the hole. The Si is about affordability, efficiency & has a huge after market. You'll spend less time at the pump & more time on the road than the Type R. I love the way my Si is coming out & all takes time. Too many people rush builds therefore want to move on to bigger & better things. I would just enjoy it to the fullest & appreciate all the Civic Si can bring to the table.

Stratuss

First Name
Jovanny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Like some here, I didn't plan to go as far with my mods initially, but slipped down the rabbit hole as soon as I started. Up until that point, I can say that I did experience a bit of buyer's remorse from not starting out with a Type R, but to be brutally honest, I never liked how that car looks. I love my coupe body, and once wished that it came with the same stock performance setup as the Type R, but after building it up I definitely would not trade the experience. If I had bought a Type R, I would have babied it completely - instead I poured my heart and soul into my FC3, feel a greater sense of fulfillment and intimacy while driving, and have gained a wealth of knowledge that otherwise would have been left untapped.

Oh, and I'm gonna swap a K20C1 into this bitch when the L15B7 blows up anyway ?‍♂
Literally my future plans is to put a K20 once I blow it ? good to hear I'm not the only one

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road 6MT
Country flag
Thankfully, both cars - Si and CTR - are blessed (for the time being at least) with excellent resale value so for those of us that will make the jump to a CTR, be it this generation or the next, we won't take a huge bath on selling/trading the Si.

squelchy451

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 VW GTI (RIP)
Country flag
Not a Civic owner, but I think all the various trims have their own niche.

The Sport Hatchback if you want a hatchback and a low-key & low-budget entry into a fantastic FWD platform

Si if you want a LSD and don't mind the reduced cargo space. You still get a bit of pep and great gas mileage from the 1.5L and still is a very reasonable entry price. If you don't need the hatch, the Si is a no-brainer as far as price goes.

The Type R is if you really want the best FWD car on the market (Veloster N may win out for me when the time comes to get back in the hot hatch market due to its greater focus on end-user ease of use. Honda really missed an opportunity to set a custom drive mode where the suspension, steering, throttle etc. could be set independently and having a dedicated rev-match disable button)

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic si coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Over 11g's in mine and don't regret it one bit. I smack stock fk8's and while an fk8 has more potential than my si, if I had gone with an fk8 I would be in the hole 50 grand because that's how much they're marked up by me. My Civic si in its current setup is still cheaper than an type r and buying a cheaper car gave me the wiggle room to upgrade bit by bit over the two years I had it where a more expensive fk8 would've left me with less money to play with. But at the end of the day, my Civic si is a street car, not a race car and I never had that expectation. It's a cheap, quick car that's fun to drive daily. If I wanted a racecar I would've spent money on a Corvette or Camaro etc.

OP
OP
MoaRPowah

MoaRPowah

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Thank you all for your input and point of views. To be honest, I don't recall a car like the Si that you can spend 2k on and have an amazing daily driver. I guess this aspect is where the Si shines as opposed to paying premium prices for Type R upgrades.

5th 3l3ment

First Name
5Th 3l3ment
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Si
Country flag
Just wanted to hear everyone's thoughts about building your Si.

Let's say you bought your Si for $25k. Then you do your bolt-ons, tune, suspension, wheels, and all the bits. After all that, you want more and go bigger turbo and flex fuel and clutch. After all is said and done, you could have just bought a Type R and be done with it.

Back in the day, we had a saying that you could spend $10k and put all the Type R Integra parts on your GSR, but it will never be a Type R Integra. Do you guys feel that way with your Si? Maybe it's just me, but sometimes I think it's not worth it and I could have just purchased a Type R.
Those tires cost to much on the type r ??‍♂
Sponsored