Do you ever feel it's a waste to build your Si?

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
To me? If I spent $23-25k on an Si and turned right around and put $10k in it? Yes. To me, the wrong car was bought... especially if the goal was more power and better handling.

If I spent years and had great enjoyment doing mods and happened to eventually hit $10k? Not really... because the journey was the enjoyment as much as the destination.

This said, would I ever sink an additional $10k in a Si? Nope. Car isn’t worth it to me/special enough to dump those kinds of funds into... but that’s me... and that’s not to say the car isn’t/shouldn’t be that for someone else.
Sponsored

Last edited:

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag

blinkz0rz

First Name
Jrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FC1 Civic Si, 1997 Dodge Dakota, 1972 Plymouth Roadrunner 440, 2010 JKU Jeep Wrangler
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The Si has things the Type R doesn’t. Also, the way the Si turbo has more grunt down low compared to the mid-high range grunt of the CTR turbo means tuning an Si will provide more scoot around town while tuning the Type R will give you a lot more power at much more illegal speeds.

Even so, if you spent 10k modding an Si it still might be more a more preferable daily driver than a CTR would be for some people.

It’s all about taste!
This. My buddy had an Si, it got hit and totaled to which he got a R after everything was done. He misses the Si's features the R does not have, but he wouldn't go back now.

I am going to keep the Si regardless, I daily more than he does and personally I feel more comfortable in the Si. Yes I have even modded it a bit, but nothing major yet.

OP
OP
MoaRPowah

MoaRPowah

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
genuinely the only things I can think of are sunroof, heated seats, and lane watch
Us with the 2017 models don't even have lane watch. I did hear that the Si seats are more comfortable than the Type R seats though.

airickmatthews

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hatch sport
Country flag
And here I am with just a base sport model hatch... but building a Si block with the gtx2860r turbo to dump into it...

blinkz0rz

First Name
Jrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FC1 Civic Si, 1997 Dodge Dakota, 1972 Plymouth Roadrunner 440, 2010 JKU Jeep Wrangler
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
genuinely the only things I can think of are sunroof, heated seats, and lane watch
Yep, and that is what he misses the most.

OP
OP
MoaRPowah

MoaRPowah

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
now that is an absolute waste of money
Now remember, to each their own. I would give props to an Si that can pull on a Type R. I think it's a "waste" if the money spent on an Si to be only marginally faster than a Type R could have gotten you a Type R.

airickmatthews

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hatch sport
Country flag
You will absolutely go faster in a straight line and absolutely will not go faster the first time you have to turn the wheel or stop. I hope you enjoy it, but straight line is absolutely not what the Type R is about.

It's not hard to build a car faster in a straight line than a Type R. It is very hard to build a car faster around a track or autocross than a Type R and his Sport will absolutely not be that.
Bbk will help, I’ll eventually get around to more suspension components.
Sponsored