Do you ever feel it's a waste to build your Si?

SCcanyoncrvr

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
You're absolutely right.

Buy a 25k Si and spend $10k to make it as fast as a type R. Resale value $20k if you're lucky. Ouch.

or

Buy a 37k Type R and have a resale value of 35k.

CTR for the win. Type R would need an upgraded exhaust though. ???
make it faster in straight in line yes but these cars aren’t built to be drag cars. I’ve driven both cars in the canyons and on the track. Without even going hard with the type R (because it wasn’t my car) I managed to be 5 seconds faster in only running two laps.

I 1000% agree with you on the resale value
Sponsored

liquidbluesi

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
It is your car, you can do what you please.
But modding a car extensively is a poor investment. You reduce reliability and durability and reduce resale value.

By buying a car with the level of performance that you wanted in the first place, you are making a more sound financial decision and you will be happier with the car.
Bingo!!

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road 6MT
Country flag
I do think that it's worth pointing out that, in my mind at least, there is a difference between "modding" a car and "building" a car. Modding to me is doing the standard bolt ons - intake, downpipe, exhaust, tune, and maybe wheels. I think light cosmetic stuff would qualify as modding too - dechroming the window trim, tint, wheels, custom bumper/rocker panels, etc. I"m all for that as I've done that myself to this car and most of my previous ones. Building a car, to me, is more in-depth and would be, at a bare minimum, a new turbo and more than likely upgraded engine internals. Cosmetically, I would thinking building a car would be pretty elaborate - fabricated body kit, paint, etc.

This being my DD, I've modded it per my definition above but have no desire to go any further. Again, for ME, going past mods on this car is really pointless as the cost increases a good bit. I know a few guys on here have truly built this car and can run faster (in a straight) line than a CTR, but a built Si, unless you're going for drag race only which is really odd on this car, is really imprudent financially if you plan on trading/selling in a few years vs keeping it forever (10 years).

dark_knight097

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
You're absolutely right.

Buy a 25k Si and spend $10k to make it as fast as a type R. Resale value $20k if you're lucky. Ouch.

or

Buy a 37k Type R and have a resale value of 35k.

CTR for the win. Type R would need an upgraded exhaust though. ???
Are you talking straight line speed? Because it cost nowhere near 10k to make an SI 'as' fast as a stock type r

$1592 W1 turbo(dont forget they're making a W2, which will make even more power)$650 intercooler, $495-1050(depending on your choice) for a clutch set up, $450 ktuner, $400 custom tune.
For ~$4100 itll put you around 290-300whp and 285-295wtq which is what a type r make stock.
Honestly it could be closer to ~$3100 because this amount of torque is close to what you make on tsp stage 1 and people can still use the stock clutch on that.

Add just $500 for a flex kit and you're making 330-340whp. At this point you would need a new clutch.

So with an msrp of 25k (which can be negotiated down 1-2k, unlike a type r) and accompanying mods, a total less than 30k , you're already faster than a type r in straight line speed. Which is where most get their enjoyment from a daily driver.

This is why the SI appeals to a lot of people, you don't need to spend 37-40k to have a nice enjoyable daily driver that handles well, gets great gas mileage, and still put down some nice power numbers.

Last edited:

letsgoMINAJE

First Name
Minaje
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CBP Si Sedan
Country flag
Are you talking straight line speed? Because it cost nowhere near 10k to make an SI 'as' fast as a stock type r

$1592 W1 turbo(dont forget they're making a W2, which will make even more power)$650 intercooler, $495-1050(depending on your choice) for a clutch set up, $450 ktuner, $400 custom tune.
For ~$4100 itll put you around 290-300whp and 285-295wtq which is what a type r make stock.
Honestly it could be closer to ~$3100 because this amount of torque is close to what you make on tsp stage 1 and people can still use the stock clutch on that.

Add just $500 for a flex kit and you're making 330-340whp. At this point you would need a new clutch.

So with an msrp of 25k (which can be negotiated down 1-2k, unlike a type r) and accompanying mods, a total less than 30k , you're already faster than a type r in straight line speed. Which is where most get their enjoyment from a daily driver.

This is why the SI appeals to a lot of people, you don't need to spend 37-40k to have a nice enjoyable daily driver that handles well, gets great gas mileage, and still put down some nice power numbers.
Facts. At this point from a daily driver standpoint, I would say the only advantage of a Type-R over an Si would be stock power. When you weigh the costs of parts, maintenance and the stuff you get with the SI (mainly a sunroof for me)...it's really a no-brainer. If you track your car, only then will the Type-R shine through. But in scouring this forum, it appears MOST people don't track their cars.

OP
OP
MoaRPowah

MoaRPowah

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
You guys are correct. Maybe my $10k estimate was a bit high. For $5k, the Si can be an absolutely fantastic daily driver. It does handle well enough for daily driving needs and I'm pretty sure most of us don't have to drive through a track to get to work. My $10k estimate included suspension work and of course a nice wheel and tire setup, but again, not super necessary.

Dpack

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
I just picked up the KTuner last month with the TSP tune and ran that for about 300 miles before switching over to Phearable for the last 600 miles. I might switch back to TSP at some point just to compare but so far have been extremely happy with Phearable ?

Also, how do you like the GT350? I was considering swapping my 19 Z06 for a 20 GT500 but think I will hold out for C8 Z06.
Hold out for the C8

T.Silver

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

It seems to be a common occurrence that many people here are bad at math. I try to tell people it doesnt take a 10 spot to make this platform competitive with an R. Considering the price of one these days...seems pointless to buy a type r for 50k (Im aware you can find lower prices, but the car will be more abused than Mia K. lol) and deal with higher maintenance costs, not to mention the lack of those sweet heated seats! A few grand on the engine and a few more on suspension and chassis support feels otherworldly. I think the Si gets a lot of hate because people just dont realize its potential and if they do, they hate on it for the lower cost of its construction Vs vastly overpaying for a red badge.

Ronny2019

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si Coupe
Country flag
It seems to be a common occurrence that many people here are bad at math. I try to tell people it doesnt take a 10 spot to make this platform competitive with an R. Considering the price of one these days...seems pointless to buy a type r for 50k (Im aware you can find lower prices, but the car will be more abused than Mia K. lol) and deal with higher maintenance costs, not to mention the lack of those sweet heated seats! A few grand on the engine and a few more on suspension and chassis support feels otherworldly. I think the Si gets a lot of hate because people just dont realize its potential and if they do, they hate on it for the lower cost of its construction Vs vastly overpaying for a red badge.
Hey i feel you on this i have a fbo si with a vargasturbo that runs 328hp/302tq but my problem/worry is popping the engine. Now if i had a type r with the mods i put in my si it would be sitting around 450hp. But you are right it would be about 10-12 thousand more for the R

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Since replying to this thread almost 3 years ago and agreeing w/ the OP that it's not worth upgrading an Si, I have since changed my opinion and now agree with your statement above that it's VERY worth it! The thing that changed for me is that I'm tuned now. Back then, I didn't realize how a simple $500 ktuner could so dramatically change the character of this car. I love the coupe bodystyle and when the kids are gone, I'll happily opt for a tuned coupe Si over a CTR.

ManitobaSI

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If it brings you joy and doesn’t hurt anyone or yourself than it’s 100% not a waste.
Agreed! If I ever think it’s a waste I just get in and drive it. Then realize I wouldn’t want for a better performing car. 😃

speedyserg

First Name
Sergio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R
Country flag
Type R is superior to Si in a straight line and track - period. The difference is budget and if you heavily modify an Si more than likely you will blow your L15/shred your trans. Countless threads of it now. Wish is was stronger but it is what it is.

Any Si owner in SoCal that wants to ride in my R can hit me up.

Owned a 2017 Si for 4 years/40k miles and bought the 2021 R to hit my goals - 100% glad I did

keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si coupe, 2021 SGP Type R
I own and I track both. I can say that owning a type R made me appreciate the Si even more =) On a track, even in stock-ish form a Si can be a lot more fun than a stock type R. It's 100% not a waste, just enjoy the awesome car you've built.

Bigboss

First Name
King
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic sport hatchback cvt
Country flag
I wanted a type r one of my dream cars but I accepted paying over msrp for a USED car is absurd. The fact is the people who sell their type r treat them like shit, daily drive them and never put ppf on them. I put ppf on mine and take extra care of my car and its not an R. all our civics are losing value now besides the R so id end up owing way more money for a trade in plus more money for bolt ons. It will cost me less than 6k to finish bolt on and suspension on this car and I always keep having fun with it. I put a deposit down to get a car later that completely outperforms the R and is auto😃. My dream was to have the R and this new car im waiting on, but im fine in the end if i give up on the R im happy with 250hp less than 3k pounds fk7 performance😁
Sponsored