Do we have any Legal ground to stand on against the dealerships in the US on mark up?

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
As a collective membership on this forum are there any legal grounds that we can pass to stop dealerships from marking up the prices on the type R? I am wondering any Lawyers or law experts here? if we could legally fight against this maybe that would help solve the problem. Just wondering our options. I for one would gladly pay a little bit in a group buy donation to get legal action against dealerships that do these Mark up practices.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Byron Sexton

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
How is it that it is against the law in Canada for dealerships to charge for mark up?

daniellee789

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I mean the MSRP is really just a guideline, not a price that's set in stone. It's ultimately up to the dealer to set the final prices on their inventory. Just because Honda's MSRP is at $30,000 or something does not mean the dealers have to sell it at $30,000. Basic supply and demand: if a dealer gets 5 Civic Type R's in stock, but they get 100 inquiries about the car, they then know that they can sell the car for more and gain more profit. On the other hand, if the 2020 Type-R comes out, and the dealer still has 20 2019 model year Type-Rs left, they can then sell those for under the MSRP to entice buyers and to move the old stock and make room for the new ones.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Canada has a law, the US doesn’t. MSRP is a suggested retail price, so no one in the US has to go by the suggestion, and many don’t (for better or worse).

BlackCTR

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I have purchased 2 Type R's. I paid under MSRP gor my 2017 and I paid under MSRP for my 2020.

I got a lot of free stuff too like ceramic coat and black wheel locks.

It comes down to 2 things. I have realized you can go on Honda.com and it will tell you what dealerships are getting the Type R's. Then look that dealership up on autotrader.com or a similar website and print off the advertisement at MSRP.

If you call and make a deal with the dealership before the car gets there they will normally negotiate because they didn't have to spend any money in marketing to sell it. But beware, if the Type R gets to the dealership before you call then you're going to almost always pay markup.

I am a really good negotiator. Not bragging but it's a skill that comes to me naturally.

I paid $700 under msrp, got 5 year warranty on my paint which was ceramic coated twice for free. Got ELO GPS for free, got black wheel locks for free, got trunk cover free, and I don't have to make a payment for 90 days.

So it's possible to do because I've done it twice. You just have to know the right things to say and if they want to sell the car then you will get what you want. I hope these tips help you.

As far as legal recourse nope. Not against the law to markup highend cars.

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
“Not bragging but...” [proceeds to brag]. ??‍♂??‍♂?

Okay, non-bragger, any concrete examples to share beyond the vague ‘know the right thing to say’?

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
“Not bragging but...” [proceeds to brag]. ??‍♂??‍♂?

Okay, non-bragger, any concrete examples to share beyond the vague ‘know the right thing to say’?
Honestly, call a lot of dealerships. If you're in Cali, you'll most likely need to go out of state to get the car at MSRP. Some states are easier to get an MSRP price than others. Look through the "Good" dealers list thread that is stickied to see if they're still good dealers. You can also try some underhanded things like pinning dealerships against each other.

InThatThang

First Name
Darien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Honda Civic Type R.
Country flag
I have purchased 2 Type R's. I paid under MSRP gor my 2017 and I paid under MSRP for my 2020.

I got a lot of free stuff too like ceramic coat and black wheel locks.

It comes down to 2 things. I have realized you can go on Honda.com and it will tell you what dealerships are getting the Type R's. Then look that dealership up on autotrader.com or a similar website and print off the advertisement at MSRP.

If you call and make a deal with the dealership before the car gets there they will normally negotiate because they didn't have to spend any money in marketing to sell it. But beware, if the Type R gets to the dealership before you call then you're going to almost always pay markup.

I am a really good negotiator. Not bragging but it's a skill that comes to me naturally.

I paid $700 under msrp, got 5 year warranty on my paint which was ceramic coated twice for free. Got ELO GPS for free, got black wheel locks for free, got trunk cover free, and I don't have to make a payment for 90 days.

So it's possible to do because I've done it twice. You just have to know the right things to say and if they want to sell the car then you will get what you want. I hope these tips help you.

As far as legal recourse nope. Not against the law to markup highend cars.
What color 2020 did you get?

MediaMaster

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 2024 Ford Maverick
Country flag
Or as I've been saying just come to the midwest. You remember us we're right in the middle of the country 1000 miles to rockies 1000 miles to the east coast (or less) and 1000 miles from far south. Drive home and your break-in is done. Go out and enjoy the car as soon as you get home. Have had several folks Pm me that did exactly that. No hassles - no pitch to add any extras. They offered all the extra warranty stuff, which I turned down. Paid exactly MSRP and had the car delivered right to the house.

David9962000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Golf GTI/Civic LX
Country flag
Maybe a petition to Honda North American might help? Stating that over MSRP isn't good for the manufacturer image and many of us are ready to buy a Type R now...