1.5T Do the Si and the european 1.5 sport hatch share engine?

David228cx

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Red Honda Civic Sport (EU)
Country flag
Hi all!

I am a sport hatchback owner from Europe. Is the engine the same as the one on the Si? Some friends dynoed this car stock and was giving 205hp (same as the Si?) on a MT even though Honda advertises 182CV here... Looking at the dyno runs it seems they could be the same. The turbo is different from what I have read around here...

Also, with all of the usual mods (downpipe, intercooler, bigger exhaust, intake, ktuner and 27won turbo) how much power would this make with 93 octane and a custom tune without changing internals?

Also, how much PSI can the 27won turbo handle? and the engine? What's the max without changing internals?

Thank you all!

Regards,
Sponsored

Last edited:

ikbenben

Belgium spec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic 1.5T Sport Plus HB
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
The Si powertrain is exclusive to the US/Canadian market. All other 1.5T Civics use the same 11 vane turbo globally.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
Not every dyno is calibrated correctly and they can sometimes give wrong results. But it's also possible that some cars have more power from the factory then others.
More than that, the issue is that you can't really ever compare dynos against each other. You have to do your first set of tests at stock and then use that as your base as you change things. Measure the percentage difference rather than the aggregate HP differences.

Sharkman112

First Name
Robert Veldt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X sport+ , Honda S2000 Vortech, DelSol Daytona eh6
Country flag
+1 on the outcome of dynos.
Most important factor in performance between US driven en European cars probably is the quality of the used petrol. Compared to European fuel prices the stuff in the USA can be considered as almost free but this doesn't mean you get the same quality..
Recently I drove a US Civic SI loaner with over 20k miles on the clock. Don't know what the garage tanked but the car felt healthy but not even nearly a fast (way more sluggish) as my own Civic 1.5T sport plus (which gets 100 octane fuel).
My car drives long distances and regularly gets to top speed but still the difference was too much.

Had the same experience with my 2011 STI (us version). It had a very restricted stock dual software mapping when I bought it at Heuberger and it always felt sluggish (even with the best fuel I could get in the US).
When I took it to Europe the first thing I did was putting the European Single map Stock Tune in which combined with premium fuel gave a gain of 23 hp on the same dyno.
Spoke someone from subary Japan that admitted that US owners tend to buy the cheapest or only available fuel in their cars which was one of the reasons for the high number of ringland failures. The dual mapping was seen as needed to prevent this from happening at the cost of performance.

OP
OP
David228cx

David228cx

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Red Honda Civic Sport (EU)
Country flag
What we compared was, same dyno, different cars. The 1.5 L15BA engine on the sport hatches here in Europe are giving 190whp stock and 205bhp, 288NM of torque.
Quite similar to what the Si is putting out, right?

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
What we compared was, same dyno, different cars. The 1.5 L15BA engine on the sport hatches here in Europe are giving 190whp stock and 205bhp, 288NM of torque.
Quite similar to what the Si is putting out, right?
Unless you put an Si on the same dyno, you can't compare it to the published numbers for the Si. For all you know, your dyno is reading high and the Si would put out 225hp on your dyno. Or, both engines are underrated from the factory and the Si puts out more than 205 hp. Or, other reasons. You need both motors on the same dyno to compare.
Sponsored