Do the 2020 "redesigned" LED headlights have better light output ?

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
As of January 2020 production, the rating for Si and Civic Tourings went from Poor to Good - looks like they fixed the glare on the Touring LEDs, and the Si of course went from halogens to LEDs.

This really makes me want to get an Si (or Touring 6MT Sport). My 2017 is pretty sketchy in the rain in particular - it's like the lights are off.

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/Honda/civic-4-door-sedan/2019
Sponsored

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
They are far and above superior to my 18's halogens. The brights are absolutely insane as well.

samtr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
The LEDs in my 2020 Si are fantastic. I don't think I've driven another car that had such bright lights. I don't even use high beams on roads that I would normally in other cars. The downside is that I constantly get flashed by oncoming cars as others have mentioned, especially vehicles that ride higher like SUVs. If I feel like pissing them off, I turn my high beams on.

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
I had a 2019 Si, with stock halogens at first. They sucked. Did a full D2S retrofit on those and that was...beautiful. Sold that car and now have the 2020 Si with the updated touring lights. They are good, definitely. They're just no where near a retrofit setup, or even some other stock vehicles I've driven. However, I'm content with them and love the styling of them anyways. They are definitely an improvement over the original touring lights I've seen. The "cutoff" on the new version is a little more defined. There is just a bit too much of the squirrel finders (light emitting above the cutoff, to help you see road signs)- these happen to be adjusted right where drivers will be being blinded, so they could've improved that aspect of it.

Rone811

First Name
Rone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I had a 2019 Si, with stock halogens at first. They sucked. Did a full D2S retrofit on those and that was...beautiful. Sold that car and now have the 2020 Si with the updated touring lights. They are good, definitely. They're just no where near a retrofit setup, or even some other stock vehicles I've driven. However, I'm content with them and love the styling of them anyways. They are definitely an improvement over the original touring lights I've seen. The "cutoff" on the new version is a little more defined. There is just a bit too much of the squirrel finders (light emitting above the cutoff, to help you see road signs)- these happen to be adjusted right where drivers will be being blinded, so they could've improved that aspect of it.
Was there anything wrong with your D2S setup? If and when I buy a type r my headlights are coming with me.

Honda Civic 10th gen Do the 2020 "redesigned" LED headlights have better light output ? IMG_1078 (2).JPG

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
Was there anything wrong with your D2S setup? If and when I buy a type r my headlights are coming with me.

IMG_1078 (2).JPG
Nothing at all honestly. That was a beautiful setup and output. If I was up for the challenge I could’ve put an even bigger and better projector in there like a few others have done, but I wanted more of a plug and play with some tweaks and upgrades since it was my first real retrofit.

I really do like the way the touring style headlights look on the car, they really modernize it. One of the major reasons why I’m keeping those now.

alex_at

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None atm, PIaggio 3 wheeler as backup.
Country flag
I know what you mean. This is why I upgraded to silverstar ultras on my car. The problem is the color temperature. Some led bulbs have a color that is more in the “cooler” spectrum and they tend to look bluish or just too white. Your eyes are use to a natural color that you see during the day when the sun is out, which is in the “warmer” colors. You can differentiate between grass and dirt and pavement. When the bulbs give off a bluish tint it tends to turn everything blue and makes your eyes work harder to differentiate things. So I just went with silverstar ultras. They are a little whiter and brighter than the oem bulbs but give a more natural light so it’s easy on your eyes. But before anybody tries to tell me I’m wrong, this is just my personal opinion and experience.
100% agreed. Used to run 8000k xenons in my previous car. Looked fantastic, but the lighting was horrible. Especially during rain.
Changed back to regular, 4300k - much, much better.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
100% agreed. Used to run 8000k xenons in my previous car. Looked fantastic, but the lighting was horrible. Especially during rain.
Changed back to regular, 4300k - much, much better.
It’s because that the 8000k produced less lumens than the 4300k bulbs. That is the reason why some car manufacturers that equip their cars with HID uses 4300k in order to have more visibility for the driver especially in bad weather.

alex_at

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None atm, PIaggio 3 wheeler as backup.
Country flag
lumen output - at least on the label was the same. If I turned off the 8000k xenons I could see how much really they did put out. It was a good standard xenon light amount. But the colour shade made it difficult to see - it always seemed to "disappear"

I agree with the lower output on highly blue dyed halogen bulbs, there the coating really reduces light ouput, but not on xenon HID's
Sponsored