Do the 2020 "redesigned" LED headlights have better light output ?

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
My low beams with fogs are brighter than my high beams. They are ridiculously bright, people flash their brights at me every single night.

The only use the high beams have is to shine farther out onto the road. I have no complaints at all.
Low beams don't have higher lumens - it just looks that way because it's a closer, wider beam. The high beams are projected at different angles, which is the only difference in illumination for any headlights that I'm aware of.

As far as fog lights, I always use them now. When I first bought the car, I didn't bother using them much, but they illuminate so much directly in front of the car and to either side, I just use them whenever I'm using the headlights.

Lastly, if people are flashing their high beams, thinking you have yours on, you should flash yours in response - if they didn't like it before, they sure AF won't like it afterwards. :flame:
Sponsored

DoctorC

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring in Sonic Gray
Country flag
Hah well shoot, I'm glad I won't be the one looking into my headlights :) Until I come across another Civic ST or SI lol

Axatax

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
In Malkuth, surrounded by evil, low on gas.
Vehicle(s)
2K Civic DX Coupe B18C5 (swap), 2017 Civic LX Coupe 6MT
Country flag
LEDs are funny.

I have a literal bucket full of LED headlamps (some cheap, some expensive) that I tried to use to do work, like under the car body and dash. They certainly spread a lot of light, but I struggle to actually "see" anything. It's a strange effect. The light doesn't want to focus properly or something. I see people using these in the shop all the time and I don't understand how they can find them to be a valuable tool.

Any old cheap incandescent lamp seemingly works better, even if the light output is far less.

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
According to IIHS, yes the redesigned headlights do illuminate farther down the road.
Lol so they still have excessive glare on the 2020s. The pre-2020 headlights could probably just be adjusted upwards a little to achieve the same result of farther illumination with excessive glare.

Maroco

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda civic lx 2020 civic si
Country flag
Lol so they still have excessive glare on the 2020s. The pre-2020 headlights could probably just be adjusted upwards a little to achieve the same result of farther illumination with excessive glare.
I lined up , facing a wall with @jacobegg the other night, he has the 17 led headlamps. The cutoff the 17s is not nearly as defined as the 2020. They spread more light above the cutoff line if that makes sense.

Captain

Ghost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Civic FB7 , 2020Civic FC5
Country flag
I have the 2020 hatch sport and I see no difference in the front headlights in regards to the output. So i believe it is purely cosmetic. What I hate is when it is raining and I driving at night on a road with no street lights, it is almost as if I have no headlights, scary. My 2017 Hatch Sport did the same thing.
He's asking led headlights like touring Si and TYPR models yours not led headlights its regular halogen projector headlights.

Last edited:

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
LEDs are funny.

I have a literal bucket full of LED headlamps (some cheap, some expensive) that I tried to use to do work, like under the car body and dash. They certainly spread a lot of light, but I struggle to actually "see" anything. It's a strange effect. The light doesn't want to focus properly or something. I see people using these in the shop all the time and I don't understand how they can find them to be a valuable tool.

Any old cheap incandescent lamp seemingly works better, even if the light output is far less.
I know what you mean. This is why I upgraded to silverstar ultras on my car. The problem is the color temperature. Some led bulbs have a color that is more in the “cooler” spectrum and they tend to look bluish or just too white. Your eyes are use to a natural color that you see during the day when the sun is out, which is in the “warmer” colors. You can differentiate between grass and dirt and pavement. When the bulbs give off a bluish tint it tends to turn everything blue and makes your eyes work harder to differentiate things. So I just went with silverstar ultras. They are a little whiter and brighter than the oem bulbs but give a more natural light so it’s easy on your eyes. But before anybody tries to tell me I’m wrong, this is just my personal opinion and experience.

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
LEDs are funny.

I've noticed this too. I think it's because since they turn off so quickly, you can actually see that they're off in between cycles (flicker). With incandescent bulbs, they turn off so slowly, that they're still lit even when off between cycles.

Yep:
https://www.scientificamerican.com/...d-bulbs-mdash-and-the-simple-way-to-fix-them/

icemansi

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2009 Fit Sport
Country flag
My ‘19 with LED bulbs are plenty bright with nice cutoff. Did my research and got a quality bulb. I’m happy with it, the 2020 accord rental I had had factory led and I wasn’t that impressed with it