Do I need to get +60 offset wheels to minimize torque steer?

MisterC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Neon SRT4, 2014 Hyundai Elantra, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
This has been my experience as well with 18 inch 9.5 +45 rims with 265/40/18 PS4. Maybe this is only a Cleveland thing? ; )
I wonder, i know the roads in ohio can be agressively crowned to deal with runoff and stuff, plus many are just in bad shape generally
Sponsored

OP
OP
zenren

zenren

First Name
Brenden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I have my sights set on some Work Emotion T7Rs. These are really the only offsets I have to work with and I would like to just run the +60s. Minimum tire I would like to run is a 255/40r18, but a 275/35r18 would really be the best. That's about half an inch wider on each side. Is fitment too tight in the wheelwell to manage that, especially if I ever consider a set of Eibach Pro kit springs?

Edit: The titan TS-5 Stigs work with a 5mm spacer or thereabouts? That wheel is a fair bit wider than the 10mm difference in offset and I've only seen it scuff on the lca. Maybe 10" wheel and a +60 offset is just cutting it close?

Last edited:

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
I have my sights set on some Work Emotion T7Rs. These are really the only offsets I have to work with and I would like to just run the +60s. Minimum tire I would like to run is a 255/40r18, but a 275/35r18 would really be the best. That's about half an inch wider on each side. Is fitment too tight in the wheelwell to manage that, especially if I ever consider a set of Eibach Pro kit springs?

Edit: The titan TS-5 Stigs work with a 5mm spacer or thereabouts? That wheel is a fair bit wider than the 10mm difference in offset and I've only seen it scuff on the lca. Maybe 10" wheel and a +60 offset is just cutting it close?
The works you posted don't have a 5x120 option, you'll have to get them custom drilled it looks like. I don't think that they'd clear the strut either. I believe someone ran bc forged wheels with +55 offset and a 10" wheel and that just cleared, but do a search here.

OP
OP
zenren

zenren

First Name
Brenden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
The works you posted don't have a 5x120 option, you'll have to get them custom drilled it looks like. I don't think that they'd clear the strut either. I believe someone ran bc forged wheels with +55 offset and a 10" wheel and that just cleared, but do a search here.
I know they have to be custom drilled, thats not a big deal. How do the Titan Stigs fit if a 10" +55 is pushing it. The Stigs are 10.7" +55.

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
I know they have to be custom drilled, thats not a big deal. How do the Titan Stigs fit if a 10" +55 is pushing it. The Stigs are 10.7" +55.
I believe he uses spacers for his. If you look in the for sale forum, someone posted the stig spec Titans for sale and they had massive scratches on the inside.

MisterC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm not sure if it's true here as well, but I've heard a lot of people BS online about wheel fitment, they'll say fits fine and not mention the spacers, or the rubbing.

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
I'm not sure if it's true here as well, but I've heard a lot of people BS online about wheel fitment, they'll say fits fine and not mention the spacers, or the rubbing.
Absolutely, people on Facebook lie all the time about no rubbing with upsets that don't make any sense. What you have to be aware of is that they are not testing with full compression.

OP
OP
zenren

zenren

First Name
Brenden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Right... He said he was using the 5mm spacers, don't know if it chewed up the inner lip with that or it was caused by the lack of a spacer, but that .7" larger wheel nearly compensates for the 5mm offset difference and a 5mm spacer. If I have to add a 5mm spacer that would be fine, but will it get away from other issues like the fender liners.

MisterC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Absolutely, people on Facebook lie all the time about no rubbing with upsets that don't make any sense. What you have to be aware of is that they are not testing with full compression.
I've seen some of that, honestly 265/35/18 is like, right at the bleeding edge for me at stock height. In comfort mode, I've bottomed out the suspension and been glad I didn't shoot for 275

Random

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R - Blue
Country flag
Not sure if it helps. But, desmonds has a 18x10 +50 offset wheel. Based on icbmotorsport site, they said it will clear up to 275/35/18 tires without rubbing. I currently have a set on order from another shop for the same specs. so hopefully, i won't run into issues when i get them. Guesstimating for 10inch wheels, then offset has to be around +50 to be safe if titan stigs are 10.7in +55 and ran with 5mm spacers and has some minor issues?

OP
OP
zenren

zenren

First Name
Brenden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I've seen some of that, honestly 265/35/18 is like, right at the bleeding edge for me at stock height. In comfort mode, I've bottomed out the suspension and been glad I didn't shoot for 275
Yeah but 275s are bigger and closer to stock height. Its at least a goal... adding spacers up front will give it a reverse stagger, but I'd like to keep the scrub radius as close to stock as possible. Scrub radius is hard to gauge without actual tools to measure it though because 1mm change in offset does not equal 1mm change in scrub radius, tire height has an effect too.
Not sure if it helps. But, desmonds has a 18x10 +50 offset wheel. Based on icbmotorsport site, they said it will clear up to 275/35/18 tires without rubbing. I currently have a set on order from another shop for the same specs. so hopefully, i won't run into issues when i get them. Guesstimating for 10inch wheels, then offset has to be around +50 to be safe if titan stigs are 10.7in +55 and ran with 5mm spacers and has some minor issues?
The Stigs that recently went for sale here were ran with Eibach Sportlines, though he didn't actually say if he scrubbed, only that they clear the suspension. I'd say for 10" wheels you may need a 5-10mm lower offset. Pretty sure there are several 10" +50 offset wheels in the master thread, most of which can probably take a slightly bigger tire from the sound of it.

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
I think your right it based on the centerline. IN stock the steering axis meets with the centerline at the bottom of the tire so its designed perfect.

torque steer.PNG

I love this diagram as it shows where the scrub radius should be i.e. in the middle of the contact patch to decrease torque steer. It also shows that is you use a lower offset wheel than stock the center of the contact patch moves outwards but if you use a smaller diameter tire, does that help correct the shift or make it worse?

ehCobra

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP Civic Type-R
Country flag
I love this diagram as it shows where the scrub radius should be i.e. in the middle of the contact patch to decrease torque steer. It also shows that is you use a lower offset wheel than stock the center of the contact patch moves outwards but if you use a smaller diameter tire, does that help correct the shift or make it worse?
I'm not awake enough to figure this out yet... and I have a damned math degree.

Edit: you're right -- a shorter tire will mitigate the effect of decreasing offset with respect to scrub radius.

OP
OP
zenren

zenren

First Name
Brenden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
A larger diameter tire will move the scrub radius out, smaller will move it in. Look at the triangle on your diagram, the top point being the intersection of the wheel centerline and scrub radius, right angle from the point where the center line and ground meet, and the last point being the scrub radius and the ground. That last point will move farther from center as tire height increases.

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
A larger diameter tire will move the scrub radius out, smaller will move it in. Look at the triangle on your diagram, the top point being the intersection of the wheel centerline and scrub radius, right angle from the point where the center line and ground meet, and the last point being the scrub radius and the ground. That last point will move farther from center as tire height increases.
That was kind of my thought. Question is, for a given change in offset, how much does the scrub radius have to moved to get back to zero. Don't really know the math involved but if the tire doesn't have to be that much shorter, it might be worth living with the speedo error and you might gain from steering response when on 18 inch rims.
Sponsored