Do I need premium gas?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport
Country flag
2020 Civic Sport. Owners Manual says to use premium gas. I understand (I think) about pre-ignition and the damage it can do, but I'm wondering if I can get away with using plus or something? That way it's better than regular unleaded, but it's also not $6 a gallon.

If it matters (I don't know if it varies by region), premium fuel is 93 octane; plus is 91.
Sponsored

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You can run 87 in the car and be perfectly fine. I wouldn't when the temps get high outside, but if it's decently cool then you should be good. We only have 91 down here in AZ as premium.

OP
OP
SonicGrayPearl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport
Country flag
You can run 87 in the car and be perfectly fine. I wouldn't when the temps get high outside, but if it's decently cool then you should be good. We only have 91 down here in AZ as premium.
When temps are high (Like now; I'm in Ohio and it's in the 90s all week this week) can I get away with 91 instead of 93?

EDIT: ALso, why not when the temps get high?

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Higher temps can lead to detonation with lower octane. Especially on turbo motors. 91 is what is recommended on the Sport but you can get away with running low octane if you are just doing regular daily driving. Remember, recommended is different from required.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
In some parts of the country, such as CA from what I've heard, premium is 91 octane. They don't have 93 octane. I'm in IL and never see 91. We have 87, 89, 93.
Sponsored