Do I need a LOC for a Kicker HS-10?

bay_hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I see people mention getting a LOC to restore the bass since the stock unit EQ is poo poo.

What happens if I don't use a LOC? Will I just get not as good bass?
Sponsored

Hajidub

Honda driver, vintage stereo enthusiast
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic YES
Country flag
Loc is needed if your aftermarket amplifier requires rca inputs. I don’t think it adds/subtracts from bass output.

OP
OP
bay_hatch

bay_hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Loc is needed if your aftermarket amplifier requires rca inputs. I don’t think it adds/subtracts from bass output.
How would the sound be if I tapped straight into the front speakers on a kicker hideaway since it’s a powered sub

Hajidub

Honda driver, vintage stereo enthusiast
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic YES
Country flag
How would the sound be if I tapped straight into the front speakers on a kicker hideaway since it’s a powered sub
I mean rca beats wire connect, but it’s a bass signal not an audiophile system. It’s easier and anything is an upgrade compared to the stock sub.

Merlanit0

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is the one I've bought and it works perfectly. it sounds good. I'm pretty sure with a dedicated LOC it would have a better sound and premium teakings, but I personally didnt have the extra cash so i went with this and it works. (cable managment sucks, I'm lazy and it's my car)
Honda Civic 10th gen Do I need a LOC for a Kicker HS-10? 1593219051953

Honda Civic 10th gen Do I need a LOC for a Kicker HS-10? 1593219427790

BailOut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX-P
Country flag
LoL. Though it would be nice if a simple to attach, $20 gizmo could increase the bass output of the stock head unit.

Merlanit0

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It works fine and it sounds even better. But to each their own.

EDM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru WRX
Country flag
From what I read since the HS10 has a high to low level input you don't really need an additional LOC. I have the Cerwin Vega VPSTX12 hooked up without one and it sounds great. I haven't noticed any loss of bass.

IByrdl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Si Sedan
Country flag
This is the one I've bought and it works perfectly. it sounds good. I'm pretty sure with a dedicated LOC it would have a better sound and premium teakings, but I personally didnt have the extra cash so i went with this and it works. (cable managment sucks, I'm lazy and it's my car)
1593219051953.png

1593219427790.png
Which speaker signal did you use? I have a cheap LOC as well from my 9th gen LX, but my amp has high level inputs, so I was going to try that instead this time. Everything I'm reading on the forums says I should be using the front speaker signal after the amp in the front passenger kick panel. I suppose if the signal is still garbage I'll have to pick up an LC2i to get the correct signal for my 12" Alpine Type R.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
my amp has high level inputs, so I was going to try that instead this time.
If the amp is capable of accepting speaker level inputs (a.k.a high level inputs); you should be able to connect directly to them, IMO. Lots of amps only accept pre-amp level (a.k.a. low level) signals and require a line output converter to pad down the already amplified signal.

Although there are exceptions; speaker level inputs generally have the two screw wire terminals and pre-amp inputs are typically RCA plugs. But there's nothing magic about that. It's just mechanics.

IByrdl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Si Sedan
Country flag
If the amp is capable of accepting speaker level inputs (a.k.a high level inputs); you should be able to connect directly to them, IMO. Lots of amps only accept pre-amp level (a.k.a. low level) signals and require a line output converter to pad down the already amplified signal.

Although there are exceptions; speaker level inputs generally have the two screw wire terminals and pre-amp inputs are typically RCA plugs. But there's nothing magic about that. It's just mechanics.
It's an Alpine MRV-M500, it has the typical RCA, but also a connector with wiring for Front/Rear L/R. I'm assuming the built in LOC for the High-level inputs won't give me any better processing than a standard cheapo LOC though.

Honda Civic 10th gen Do I need a LOC for a Kicker HS-10? 1597079573385
Honda Civic 10th gen Do I need a LOC for a Kicker HS-10? 1597079624781

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Well... all LOC's are dirty, IMO. There's lots of distortion inherent in the process. But I'd hope Alpine's design would be better than an el-cheapo.

The RCA's on that unit appear to be for pre-amp level signals. The pins on the left that accept the harness are for the speaker level inputs.

EDIT: I should clarify that there are some LOC's that simply pad down the levels. Other devices that are also called LOC's can have EQ circuits in addition to the pad.

PandaXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EX-T with Honda Sensing
Country flag
@bay_hatch i think you should look in to passive and active LOCs.
Active LOC like the AudioContol LC2i will restore bass and make it sound better if you are just pulling from the stock system
The stock EQ has bass roll

OP
OP
bay_hatch

bay_hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@bay_hatch i think you should look in to passive and active LOCs.
Active LOC like the AudioContol LC2i will restore bass and make it sound better if you are just pulling from the stock system
The stock EQ has bass roll
I'm really new to audio and no means an audiophile. I just wanted some bass in the car coming from a TSX that had the bose system, the civic was very lacking. Figured a powered sub would give me some bass, albeit not window shattering.

Maybe in the future i'll do a full audio overhaul :)
Sponsored