whytfwontthiswork

First Name
s
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Country flag
So, I'm in the process of shopping for spring maintenance/repair items. One of the the things on my to-do list is 4 wheel brakes. I see a lot of discussions on what type of pads to get, but what about discs?

I have a new set of oem rear pads and a new set of stoptech sport front pads ready to be put on but for discs would going ebay matter? I can get 4x discs drilled/slotted for under 200$ on EBAY - Would there be much of a difference than more expensive ones? Or is it all in the pads? Thanks!
Sponsored

GraphiteAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
It depends on usage. Remember - your brakes are a safety item. Do you trust a cheap ebay part or at the very least an OEM part when you hammer your brakes in traffic?

At the VERY least, go OEM. After that, if I want to be cheap I'll buy some Brembo blanks. But no name ebay scares me badly.

That said - it also depends on use. I'm doing some tracking so I'm going with Giro's.

Conika

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Unless its from a trusted manufacture I don't know if i would trust Ebay. You may be getting some cheap metals from CHYNA that can warp. Unless you're tracking your car any old rotors will do. I have had great luck with Centric rotors on my vehicles in the past.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
id rather go on rockauto or something and find a cheaper set of name brand discs than an unknown ebay manufacturer. As other people pointed out, brakes are a safety system and the last thing you would probably want to cheap out on.

If youre not tracking your car you can save some bucks and get a regular blank set otherwise youll probably end up warping them.

jay_fk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
I wouldn’t use eBay, check tirerack like previously mentioned. a note about the stoptech sports, and this might just be me but the sports on two of my cars leave a weird deposit on the rotor, like an imprint of the pad. it goes away after a few drives but it’s annoying to me to I don’t use them anymore, it doesn’t go away immedisteely. This happens after you wash your car and let it sit overnight (or even a few hours). my remedy for this is to drive it up and down the street right after I wash the car to clean the rotor off. The stoptech streets are pretty nice and don’t seem to exhibit the same Issue.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Depends on usage. Metallurgy can be very important especially when it comes to track use. If you don't track your car, save a couple bucks and get some Centric blanks.

OP
OP

whytfwontthiswork

First Name
s
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Country flag
I wouldn’t use eBay, check tirerack like previously mentioned. a note about the stoptech sports, and this might just be me but the sports on two of my cars leave a weird deposit on the rotor, like an imprint of the pad. it goes away after a few drives but it’s annoying to me to I don’t use them anymore, it doesn’t go away immedisteely. This happens after you wash your car and let it sit overnight (or even a few hours). my remedy for this is to drive it up and down the street right after I wash the car to clean the rotor off. The stoptech streets are pretty nice and don’t seem to exhibit the same Issue.
Appreciate the advice! From what I read the Stoptech sport is the new name for the Stoptech street. The p/n being 309.10010. Hopefully its the better of the two you mentioned haha

As for everyone else, much appreciate the feedback. I will get some quality oe replacements!

Dude

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 type R
Country flag
Don't cheap out on safety items. Everyone has already said this but it can't be said enough so I say it too.

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Any one tried the centric rotors from Tirerack? They are drilled according to the page, curious if they look just like the factory rotors on the 17-19 FK8.

OP
OP

whytfwontthiswork

First Name
s
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Country flag
Not at all. I removed mine to save weight. I really fly through the corners now.
Ya that was my initial thought before deciding to cheap out on ebay. Figured the wheel hub would give enough bite for the pad ?
Sponsored