Do any of you long time "Honda Vtec" lovers miss the old screamer engines?

neveronline

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current '19 CW CTR #23856 & '18 Accord 2.0T Previous - 2015 WRX, 1999 SI, '04 S2000, '08 Evo X, '10 SI sedan, '11 Fit Sport, '11 WRX, '13 ILX
Country flag
shoot I miss throttle cables LOL!!!!! But yeah I miss the S2K, R's and SI's of old with their high revving NA engines. I guess like all things we need to get used to the future and what that means for our passion... My biggest hurdle is hybrids and electric performance cars... if it doesn't make noise and sound like a sports/race car I just don't like it as much :/
Sponsored

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Miss my B18C swapped EH2 and of course my ITR sitting in storage.
Ayyye, family has #01-0891 chillin' in the garage as well. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Driveitlikeustoleit

Driveitlikeustoleit

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lada
Gents, don't get me wrong I really like the new Type R, it ticks so many boxes, however it is missing something....sole, emotion?
I know Honda had to to change to turbocharging for emission reasons, so I hope to find an NA screamer to drive and get my emotional, visceral fix and keep for a long time.
The car I'm most interested in importing is the 2007 Mugan RR.
It will be eligible for import in 2022.
My plan is to get an EP3 in the short term and the Mugan RR one day.
Since only 300 were made, the odds of finding one are slim, but not impossible.

iLovePho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CW CTR #2060
Country flag
Would love to get a Mugen RR, I'd even take even a standard FD2 Type-R. Us Muricans won't be able to legally import them until 2032 though:thumbsdown:

CTRFK8

First Name
Sauce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR
Country flag
I dont miss it, it was fun while it lasted, 8k+rpm and vtech. Had a b18c1 then got stolen and replaced with a jdm b18c. Back in the days motor swaps, something they called Frankenstein b20 crv block with vtech head? Swapping motors into smaller lighter cars(hatches, del sol, crx).When I think of the old school vtech scene, I think of "Rice".

MonkeyConQueso

First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
I loved my FG2, supercharged and turbocharged FG2's of others I knew, and I loved what others I knew did with the EP3 (ugh, that US engine setup was flat stock). But honestly they really can't hold a candle to the FK8 in my opinion. Everything I had wanted to do to my FG2 before I had to sell it is exactly what the FK8 IS. I do miss the NA vtec sound and emotion, but I always felt like I was wringing it out every time I wanted power.

All that being said, I could go for a higher RPM limit to get more feeling out of the current engine.

Mikey6p

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Mikey6p.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Country flag
I miss the sound of a K20 in the 8k range, but do not miss having to always be up there to be making power.

Torque is nice :love:

Hayabusa160

The Master
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
Country flag
I really miss the raw feel of my eg hatch 9k redline the vtec sound was amazing
Gsr motor with ported heads skunk 2 stage 2 cam ls crank jdm itr pistons

OP
OP
Driveitlikeustoleit

Driveitlikeustoleit

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lada
@Driveitlikeustoleit Why do you have to wait for the Mugen RR but you can import a DC5 Type R to the states now?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Civic_Type_R
The rules to import Japanese cars into the US are, they have to be 25 years old or older.
I will be importing my car into Canada, where cars have to be only 15 years old.
For one thing the Mugan RR is not a DC5, it is an FD2, and the FD2's will be legal to import to Canada in 2021.
The DC5 is the Integra Type R which was built between 2001-2006, and can be imported into Canada today.
I'm interested in the second generation Type R referred to as the EP3, built between 2001-2005.

Honda Civic 10th gen Do any of you long time "Honda Vtec" lovers miss the old screamer engines? honda-civic-ep3-type-r-02-05-1.gif

toddrhodes

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR #16979, '18 Odyssey
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I miss my built B18C5 (Jun3 cams, ferrea valves, forget which springs/retainers now, and ported head) from my EM1, made power up to about 8500 RPM and was safe to 9000. I lost both the head and block from the stock B16 so I bought a factory new C5 block to replace it. Fun times.

That said, I am glad the FK8 doesn't have the driving dynamics of that car. I'll take the "new" powerband over the old one every day and twice on Sundays.

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag