Do Aftermarket Wheels Effect Resale / Trade In Value?

pgears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX WOP
Hi, After I buy an EX. Im thinking of selling the stock wheels and get light weight aftermarket wheels, probably Enkei. Hope I can sell the stock wheels for at least $100 each. But is it wise to sell them or store them for the 10 years that I will keep the car for, and then sell the aftermarket wheels later?

How does Aftermarket Wheels effect resale / trade in value of the car?
Sponsored

LBB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z
Hi, After I buy an EX. Im thinking of selling the stock wheels and get light weight aftermarket wheels, probably Enkei. Hope I can sell the stock wheels for at least $100 each. But is it wise to sell them or store them for the 10 years that I will keep the car for, and then sell the aftermarket wheels later?

How does Aftermarket Wheels effect resale / trade in value of the car?
If you don't want to keep your stock wheels because you want to sell them for $ or you don't have the space for them, then you could sell them now and then just buy a used factory from another member here or eBay when it comes to selling the car years down the line. Then you can sell your aftermarket wheels and recoup some $.

Keeping aftermarket wheels on your car when it comes time to selling it won't help your resale value (unless you find someone who was looking for those exact wheels) and might even hurt it a bit if buyers aren't looking for a modified car. It shouldn't affect your trade-in value much either way if you're talking about a trade in 10 years from now.

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If the wheels add to the appearance, it can potentially add to the resale value, albeit slightly. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Stock wheels are the safe bet.

///Mookster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
If the wheels add to the appearance, it can potentially add to the resale value, albeit slightly. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Stock wheels are the safe bet.
Agreed, although what you would recoup in costs from selling the aftermarket wheels separately would probably be more than whatever extra resale value keeping it on the car would get you.

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Agreed, although what you would recoup in costs from selling the aftermarket wheels separately would probably be more than whatever extra resale value keeping it on the car would get you.
No doubt. If you can keep the stock wheels it's the best option. Less subjectivity to deal with.

HondaGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Aftermarket wheels do not add or reduce the trade-in market value. I've taken a number of cars in with aftermarket wheels and the customer is not penalized. The only things that add value to a trade are OEM options/packages that the car has. When a dealer is appraising a car, Galves gives the option to add value to the car based on OEM options and if its under miles.

Here's a detailed article I wrote explaining how a dealer gets the True Market Value of a car:
http://hondageek.com/2014/08/14/the-true-market-value-of-your-car/#more-327

As far as keeping the OEM wheels, its really up to you. With the majority of my cars, since I want to get the best tires available for the type of vehicle I own, I always upgrade the wheels and tires at the same time. I have owned a set of expensive Volk Racing forged wheels, but Enkei is 98% as good for 40% less of the cost. I immediately sell the OEM wheels and tires, since it increases the likely hood of them selling if they have less than 400 miles on them. I have had many sets of Enkei wheels (I believe the number is up to 5).

If I am selling or trading in the car in the future, I simply post them on the forums and trade them for OEM wheels plus cash. This always works for me, since there are always members out there who want aftermarket wheels, yet simply cant afford them. Look at it as giving back to the community, in a sense.

Trueno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord, Honda Civic 10th gen
Aftermarket wheels on a car scream "salvaged title" or the car was driven by a teenager when I'm looking for a decent used car.

Keep your OEM'S and sell the aftermarkets separately when you sell the car.

Last edited:

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2O16 Civic Touring 'WOP', 2016 HRV EXL w/nav. 'Milano Red'
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Would be great for your winter tires but I guess that isn't a requirement in Southern California.

IDs748

First Name
PRAJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic LX Hatchback
Country flag
Aftermarket wheels on a car scream "salvaged title" or the car was driven by a teenager when I'm looking for a decent used car.

Keep your OEM'S and sell the aftermarkets separately when you sell the car.
You hit the nail on the coffin. I've learned the same any car I recently drove that had the slightest modified wheels or other aspects did NOT drive as nice. Ended up with a bone stock vehicle but its never been abused.

Even though aftermarkt wheels look nice its a personal touch and that actually fkr me is a deterrent. Keeping things as closed to stock on moat cars is best.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
Only special edition factory wheels affect value. On a normal civic they wont really care, on a CTR they might lower trade in value.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
If you're trading in a vehicle, it's always a good idea to put it back to factory as much as you can. Cars with performance parts, cosmetic mods, etc. generally won't sell as easily or the dealer will need to de-mod the car. So yes, aftermarket mods, including wheels, reduce the appeal to a dealer.

On the other hand, if selling to a private party, those same mods might be a selling point to some people..

The bigger question is why did we open up a 5 year old comatose thread? Lol
Sponsored

Reactions: Phy