DIY Ultimate CVT Cooler with pics

Tobiman

First Name
Oluwatobi
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Honda Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag
There might not be any clearance issues with a factory charge pipe. After adding a little more bend to one of the factory hose barbs on my CVT warmer, I ended up with adequate clearance for the PRL charge pipe.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean about running the bypass valve in parallel to the CVT warmer and run my cooling system in series. It sounds you believe the aftermarket cooler could be installed onto the factory hoses that run to the CVT warmer.

Based on this, I'm wondering if you understand the design of the factory CVT warmer block. The two factory lines going into the front of the warmer are carrying engne coolant and not transmission fluid. The warmer block allows heat transfer from the engine coolant to the transmission fluid without mixing the two fluids. To run a transmission cooler you need an adapter that provides outlet and inlet ports for the transmission fluid to flow through. That was the critical piece I used from the ETL kit.

Does that make sense or did I misunderstand the cooler configuration you had in mind?
You are bang on the money. I got carried away and was thinking about the CVT warmer on the WRX. The adapter is indeed needed!

With_extra_salt

Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Honda Civic Ex Hatchback
Country flag
I wrote up one I believe with the ETL cooler, coulda asked me for more info haha

Civii

Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Are you willing to make a couple of those mounting brackets you made to mount the radiator and ship them for some money? I’m trying to follow this guide but don’t know how I will make the brackets. If it wasn’t hard I’ll just wing it and give it a shot probably

OP
OP
ClintFK7

ClintFK7

First Name
Clint
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 FK7 EXL
Country flag
Are you willing to make a couple of those mounting brackets you made to mount the radiator and ship them for some money? I’m trying to follow this guide but don’t know how I will make the brackets. If it wasn’t hard I’ll just wing it and give it a shot probably
When I made my brackets I used the lower passenger side bracket from the Sirimoto oil cooler kit as my template and just replicated it for the lower driver side mount for the trans cooler. Unfortunately I didn't take any measurements and can't make another set without removing what's already on the car. The upper bracket I made was a basic L but it was wide and tapered narrower to clear the vertical plastic air dam when going from the radiator support to just behind the grille. This is the best picture I have of all the brackets.

PXL_20210827_195233358.jpg

If you plan to run the Sirimoto oil cooler kit you will only make the 2 silver brackets for the driver's side of your trans cooler because the center mounting points of the trans cooler will share the center mounting points for the oil cooler. You can make these out of flat bar steel or sheet metal. I used a piece of stainless sheet metal from McMasterCarr that was .06" thick as this was close to the thickness of the Sirimoto brackets. If you are just trying to run this configuration as a stand alone trans cooler you will have to figure out bracket locations and spacing so it will take some patience. The Sirimoto kit really has a unique upper bracket that would be hard to replicatesso your upper center mounting point would just be whatever you can figure up.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Advertisement